Turn Off Ads?
Page 41 of 44 FirstFirst ... 313738394041424344 LastLast

Thread: Kearns on the block

Re: Kearns on the block

Quote Originally Posted by bounty37h
    (sigh), kids today. Where has baseball gone?
    Adults today.... where has historical knowledge of the game gone.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    Adults today.... where has historical knowledge of the game gone.
    whats your point?

whats your point?
    That slugging percentage increases in the game are always matched by a decline in steals.

What's yours?

Other than to imply that "kids today are dumb?"

Well, the Reds won more at the begining of the season, when the small ball was more prominent in the game then relying just on the slugging it out with the long ball, which isnt consistant, even though always a threat with us. Yeah, I know, chiz dig the long ball.
    I am only 31, was being more a smart-a$$ with the kids comment.

Actually a .361 team OB% in April has alot more to do with the winning then "small ball"

Quote Originally Posted by Aronchis
    Bailey doesn't lack a offspeed pitch, that is your problem, you don't get that. It is about consistacy from that POV, which is on track. Mercy.
    So while Bailey is throwing 97-mph fastballs and shutting down Class AA Southern League opponents, he still has to work on other pitches, his quickness in delivering the ball to the plate, covering first base and other sundry skills.
    http://www.daytondailynews.com/sport...106inside.html

He still has plenty of room for projection, and Bailey will need to improve his changeup and get stronger
    http://www.baseballamerica.com/today...irstround.html

"I believe that we're on the right track with this kid, not rushing him," Owens said before the game. "In my level he's able to go to his fastball to get out of trouble. Major league level, he may not be able to do that so much. He really needs to tweak his off-speed stuff, especially his changeup."

After Sunday's game, Owens said his point had been proven in Bailey's one inning of work. Bailey picked up the win in the USA team's 8-5 victory, but gave up two hits and a run.

All 20 of Bailey's pitches were fastballs.
    http://news.cincypost.com/apps/pbcs....607100312/1035

It's not MY problem, buddy, it's BAILEY'S problem. He may have an off-speed pitch, but it's apparently far from perfected, and he's obviously not comfortable using it. Do your homework before you call someone out next time.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Saying he has NO offspeed pitch is different then him working to improve his off-speed stuff.

It's not MY problem, buddy, it's BAILEY'S problem. He may have an off-speed pitch, but it's apparently far from perfected, and he's obviously not comfortable using it. Do your homework before you call someone out next time.
    The reason he threw nothing but fastballs was he had a blister break on his finger.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

Quote Originally Posted by membengal
    Saying he has NO offspeed pitch, is different then him working to improve his off-speed stuff.
    No offspeed pitch that he could use in the majors.

I'm certain that he is working on it, but right now, he doesn't have an offspeed pitch that he can effectively use. Which is the same as not having one, if you can't use it.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    Actually a .361 team OB% in April has alot more to do with the winning then "small ball"
    You dont see any correlation to getting on base and stealing, eliminating DP's, and advancing base position?

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan30
    The reason he threw nothing but fastballs was he had a blister break on his finger.
    Even when he's blister-less, the scouting reports I have read indicate that he relies predominantly on his fastball, and that his off-speed stuff has not reached the point where he can consistently get runners out.

You dont see any correlation to getting on base and stealing, eliminating DP's, and advancing base position?
    23 steals in April - .361 ob% Rc/27 - 6.14
    20 steals in May - .325 ob% Rc/27 - 4.63
    23 steals in June - .345 ob% Rc/27 - 6.01

No, I don't

So, 66 stolen bases in 3 months is irrelevant and overrated?

So, 66 stolen bases in 3 months is irrelevant and overrated?
    No, not at all, but it's not the base that makes the offense humm, nor is "small ball.

did you even read what prompted me to start this, i was responding to a post that said stolen bases are overrated.

Turn Off Ads?