Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crazy solution to the CF problem *

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Crazy solution to the CF problem *

* Only after Gonzo comes back.

Brandon Phillips.

I told you it was crazy.

But hear me out. When Gonzo comes back - and he's eventually going to come back - move Keppinger to 2nd and have Brandon play CF. Obviously he won't be as good as Patterson out there but since he is a natural SS, they can usually play anywhere on the field. Robin Yount started out as a SS and moved to CF. Eric Davis was a minor league SS but became a great CF. Craig Biggio moved from 2B to CF for a few years. He's got the speed to do it and Billy Hatcher used to play a mean CF so he could be one of Brandon's tutors. His other tutor could be Jr. Even though the legs aren't willing, I bet you he'd be able to help position Brandon out there if he thought he wasn't positioned right. Hopefully Brandon wouldn't balk at this move but if he did, I would hope Dusty could convince him that it could be something that could help the team win. The way I figure it, Gonzo's out at least another month. Brandon goes out to CF before BP for an hour or so and has someone hit him fly balls under the tutelage of Hatcher. Do this for a month and perhaps Brandon can make a decent CFer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Re: Crazy solution to the CF problem *

Not the craziest idea I've ever heard.. his bat would certainly play pretty well there, just like 2b.

I also like Kepp at 2b more than SS.

That said, I don't think you do this in season. Bad idea.
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

Why can't we just leave Jeff Keppinger alone at SS? Alex Gonzalez isn't very good...

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    Why can't we just leave Jeff Keppinger alone at SS? Alex Gonzalez isn't very good...
    Gonzalez makes too much to sit without first proving that the team would be better-served by having him sit.
    /r/reds

If this idea is to work, Keppinger is probably the guy to move to center. I wouldn't move two players out of position and expect success. I'm not saying Kep could play center, but the fewer players moved the better.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    Gonzalez makes too much to sit without first proving that the team would be better-served by having him sit.
    This is being proven right now...

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    This is being proven right now...
    I suspect the Reds ownership group would like to see Gonzalez prove it on the field after his recovery, since he's the one drawing the big salary.
    /r/reds

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    * Only after Gonzo comes back.

Brandon Phillips.

I told you it was crazy.
    Further proof that there should be a 'don't drink and post' rule

:all_cohol
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

The move to CF is not that difficult for a player like BP, or any athletic good fielding middle infielder. Been done many times before. Even in mid season I think it'd work. Kepp to 2nd is the rub. Oh, he can play 2nd but making the pivot isn't as easy as 1-2-3 just step out here and do it. That's where the mid season might be a problem. In fact, Chip I really like it as a possible solution if the Reds don't sign Junior and Dunn again. I like it if they DO resign Dunn. Dunn-Phillips-Bruce. That could be a terrific OF. Votto-Kepp-AGon-EE. That's a good IF. Left-right balance. This is not a crazy idea at all.

Just watching how Phillips ranges back into short right field and into foul territory to run down fly balls is evidence of his chances to succeed as an OFer.

I proposed this idea back in M2's offseason thread about finding a CF.

Great minds think alike and all that...

My personal opinion: Phillips is way too valuable at 2B to move him to the OF. I shudder to think of how many balls would get through if he wasn't there, or how many fewer outs would be seen at 1B without him at second.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone View Post
    My personal opinion: Phillips is way too valuable at 2B to move him to the OF. I shudder to think of how many balls would get through if he wasn't there, or how many fewer outs would be seen at 1B without him at second.

But that's the age-old question, isn't it? We know Brandon's a better offensive player than Patterson. His defense would not be as good but in time it might be close. You put Keppinger at 2nd and there's no way he's going to be as good as Brandon defensively. But you keep his stick in the lineup. Will his offense make up for his defense? It's not an ideal soloution to be sure but this is not an ideal team. I'm not one to switch guys around willy-nilly. People used to want Austin Kearns at 3rd to get Wily Mo Pena's bat in the lineup every day. They would defend it because Pete Rose played OF and 3rd successfully. But that is the kind of transition that rarely works and in Rose's case it worked because he played 2nd and 3rd early in his career. Usually the transition from the middle infield to the OF takes place in the minor leagues like when Eric Davis did it and when Mickey Mantle did it.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

I think Jay Bruce would play a better CF than Phillips. If you're worried about CF bring up Bruce. I don't think it's worth it to juggle a lot of positions just so we can get AGon into the starting lineup. This isn't George Foster we're talking about here.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I think Jay Bruce would play a better CF than Phillips. If you're worried about CF bring up Bruce. I don't think it's worth it to juggle a lot of positions just so we can get AGon into the starting lineup. This isn't George Foster we're talking about here.

Well, he definitely has more experience at it but his future is in RF. If Jr. is traded or the Reds don't pick up his option Bruce is the new RF. Then we have the same problem in CF as we do now. Patterson will either be too terrible or too expensive to bring back and then we have Freel and Hopper. Drew Stubbs isn't near ready yet and most people don't believe Chris Dickerson can hit major league pitching. Now if the Reds go out and get themselves a legit CF then you forget about moving Phillips.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Turn Off Ads?