Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Advice Needed: Baseball "Date"....

Advice Needed: Baseball "Date"....

So there's this girl.

I was good friends with her brother during the early oughts. We'd go out drinking amongst friends and his sister would show up. Never had much time to talk to her ( a twenty something Wheels was a little more frenetic than he is now...Seriously), and she ended up moving to Colorado, she got married and all of that.

Ran into her a few months ago. She was getting over a divorce, I was still hinky about meeting new women because of a failed relationship, etc. We did talk, and I found out we pretty much dig all of the same stuff...Bands, and she's a huge Baseball fan. We exchanged numbers a few weeks ago, but I never called her (I'm far too modern to actually call a chick...Or you can call me chicken).

I ran into her tonight and mentioned that I was gonna drive down to Cincy and catch a game. Her response "Really!?" ( as she kinda clasped her hands together, and I could tell she wanted me to ask her to go) so I asked her to go and she emphatically agreed.

In all of my years, I've never had a girl almost ask me to take her to a game......My question is, how do I actually....ACT?

There's a chance that I can fall into the friend zone. I'm not diametrically opposed to the notion, but I am a batchelor that likes women. She's not into anything serious because of her recent divorce, and I'm totally afraid of commitment at this point because of past relationships, but this situation is brimming with possibilities to say the least. Mutual interests and such is a big deal, dig? Or am I just sooo alien to actually meeting a female that's into the same stuff that I might be reading into it the possiblity of "things"? Or it could actually be something more permanent, and that's the source of my trepidation?

So how do I act?

I figure things are natural, and I'm never nervous around her because I can pretty much say what I want and she LAUGHS at EVERYTHING I say.

Could it be that she digs me, or is it that I'm just this big baffoon that she finds amusing enough to spend time with?

What types of seats would be appropriate? Diamond seats would be overdoing it, but I also don't think she's a bleacher type of girl.

I need help, fellow Baseball fans.

By 11 a.m. tomorrow would be optimal.

Either way, it's really cool having conversations with her, and we're gonna have a good time. It's just the after part that I wonder about.
    Pray for Rain.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Advice Needed: Baseball "Date"....

Oh yeah, and there's that hour and a half drive thing. Maybe we don't know each other well enough for a road trip.

I know she'll dig the music, but the XM Baseball channel could a little too much.
    Pray for Rain.

Dude, just quit fretting over it and have fun. Act pretty much like you act and you'll be fine.

Just be ready for the Kiss Cam.
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

Get those seats down the baseline. They're not too expensive, and they really make a good impression with a girl on a date. You can almost always get ones super-close.

Yeah, just act normal, like 919191 says. If she's feeling you, she'll make it apparent.

Does she like to have a few drinks? That could help with the "feeling out" process.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

Quote Originally Posted by 919191 View Post

Just be ready for the Kiss Cam.
    haha way to freak him out
    redsrule2500
    Go Reds!
    Baseball Bliss
    Im a normal guy blessed with the ability to hit a baseball. - Sean Casey

OK, the first thing you should do is panic. Absolutely panic. Call her four or five times tonight, and leave a nice, poetic message each time. Or quote a Bible verse.

For the game, wear a crazy, purple, pin-striped zoot suit with a Reds had and cleats. Ask her to drive, then complain about her driving. When you get to the game, pretend that you forgot the tickets and make her buy you tickets at the gate. And beer. And a t-shirt.

OR...

Just keep doing what you do. Be yourself. The girl likes you, regardless of what she and you have been through in terms of past relationships. Don't go all haywire worrying about whether she just thinks of you as a friend, etc. Honestly, she's probably wondering the same thing about you. Tell her you like her, and you want to spend more time with her. See what she says.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wheels View Post
    Oh yeah, and there's that hour and a half drive thing. Maybe we don't know each other well enough for a road trip.
    Throw the iPod on shuffle (you both like the same types of music, so that should be good) and just roll. The situation is a positive if you look at it from a certain point of view -- you can do all the preliminary "getting to know you" stuff on the drive. It sounds like she digs you, so just act naturally and try to have fun.

For tickets, I'd try to get lower-level seats -- you don't have to get big-buck tickets, but I'd splurge just a bit. Do what WMR says and go for something down one of the base lines. It's not like you won't enjoy sitting close to the action anyway.

On the drive, see if she wants to eat beforehand or if she'd rather just grab something at the game. Have an idea of where you'd go if she says she wants to eat beforehand.

Your mileage may vary on this list suggestion, but the one time I did a baseball date, I also bought the girl a Reds hat to wear to the game. It was a cheapo adjustable-back hat that I bought the night before at Meijer for $5, but she thought it was really awesome since she didn't have any Reds stuff to wear (and wasn't from Cincy originally).

Good luck, and have fun!
    Last edited by Caveat Emperor; 04-20-2008 at 03:40 AM.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

A Little to the Left Redsfaithful's Avatar

because I can pretty much say what I want and she LAUGHS at EVERYTHING I say.
    If this is true then she obviously is into you. Like no doubt about it.

Not even mentioning this:

Her response "Really!?" ( as she kinda clasped her hands together, and I could tell she wanted me to ask her to go)
    Which just reinforces it further.

Don't go cheap on the tickets, but she sounds like she's going to enjoy whatever, so I wouldn't stress too much on that either. If you can afford scout seats then go nuts, but anything in the lower level infield works.

Have a good time man, stuff like this is always fun.
    We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.
    --Oscar Wilde

I bought the tickets before I crashed last night. Lower level club, section 123.

I'm not as freaked out as my original post made it seem (I'm not drunk anymore), but this is definitely a first. A woman that digs Baseball and The Dirtbombs.

She's a Rockies fan, but it could be worse in that department. Ohhh...And she's a drinker alright. When she lived in Denver she co-wrote/owned a magazine called "Modern Drunkard". I was shocked to learn this because she's very lady like and classy.

This is gonna be a riot. I'll let you folks know how it goes.
    Last edited by wheels; 04-20-2008 at 06:56 AM.
    Pray for Rain.

I bought the tickets before I crashed last night. Lower level club, section 123.

I'm not as freaked out as my original post made it seem (I'm not drunk anymore), but this is definitely a first. A woman that digs Baseball and The Dirtbombs.

She's a Rockies fan, but it could be worse in that department. Ohhh...And she's a drinker alright. When she lived in Denver she co-wrote/owned a magazine called "Modern Drunkard". I was shocked to learn this because she's very lady like and classy.

This is gonna be a riot. I'll let you folks know how it goes.
    Whatever you do, don't turn the radio to WLW on the ride down or ride back. You want your first "baseball date" to be a positive experience. Even if you like WLW, you don't want her to start going off on something Tracy Jones or Paul Daugherty or Lance or Alan Cutler or some crazy caller just said.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

Waiting for a tour/album KittyDuran's Avatar

Good luck, Wheels... I'll be rooting for you in the Sun Deck! Remember... a kiss on the hand is quite continental...

It's seems you'll have much better luck than my baseball game dates (which unfortunately were blind dates). The matchmakers didn't tell them that I loved baseball (they probably said that I enjoyed going to the games ) and when I opened my mouth at the games I knew more than they did. Nothing worse than trying to make out afterwards with a man with a blown ego... which wasn't the only thing deflated. : Never got any call backs.
    2014 Reds record when I'm attending: 3-4
    2014 Dragons record when I'm attending: 1-0
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

Quote Originally Posted by KittyDuran View Post
    Good luck, Wheels... I'll be rooting for you in the Sun Deck! Remember... a kiss on the hand is quite continental...

It's seems you'll have much better luck than my baseball game dates (which unfortunately were blind dates). The matchmakers didn't tell them that I loved baseball (they probably said that I enjoyed going to the games ) and when I opened my mouth at the games I knew more than they did. Nothing worse than trying to make out afterwards with a man with a blown ego... which wasn't the only thing deflated. : Never got any call backs.

You're too much Woman for them, Kitty.

I'm so picky these days that predictable disappointments have almost become comfortable in some way.

It's like if the Reds actually made the playoffs again....Would we really remember how to deal with it?

I know this. Today may not be 1990, but it sure as heck won't be 1991, or 2001 or 1982.

I'd settle for 1987 and be very happy.
    Pray for Rain.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    OK, the first thing you should do is panic. Absolutely panic. Call her four or five times tonight, and leave a nice, poetic message each time. Or quote a Bible verse.

For the game, wear a crazy, purple, pin-striped zoot suit with a Reds had and cleats. Ask her to drive, then complain about her driving. When you get to the game, pretend that you forgot the tickets and make her buy you tickets at the gate. And beer. And a t-shirt.
    Can't...stop...laughing.

I don't know if you're still arond but talk to her about the game at the game. If she likes baseball and knows what is going on, she'll like the fact that you respect her knowledge of the game.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post

That is awesome.

Wheels, you just have to relax and be yourself. Don't change a single thing.

If she digs you exactly as you are, that's a beautiful thing. If she doesn't, so what? Still be yourself.

If you are looking for a relationship, with her or anyone else, you have to be yourself for it to work.

If you make a bunch of changes to match up with what you think someone else wants to see, it won't last.

She has to be able to be herself, and so do you, for it to work.

Relax and enjoy it.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

Consider diving into the subtleties of sabermetric analysis. Where possible, include calculus.
    What if this wasn't a rhetorical question?

All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Turn Off Ads?