Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Trade idea...

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Trade idea...

...not mine, but I thought I'd throw it to the masses...

Bronson Arroyo for Brandon Inge...

Detroit has pitching issues, and the Reds have bat issues....both make about the same amount of money, and Inge is kind of out of place in Detroit...

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Trade idea...

Bronson Arroyo is a better than league average starting pitcher. It seems that is continually undervalued. Inge is comparable in value to Freel.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Shouldn't you be turning some dials and screaming for a break or something?

As far as the trade...I'd do it the minute they deem Bailey to be ready. Maybe in mid-May when Granderson is fully back. Inge has more pop in the bat than Freel, and has shown he can play every day if needed to cover an injury. I'd even throw in a Marcus McBeth type player in the Tigers want more.
    Last edited by guttle11; 04-20-2008 at 12:21 PM.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Nah....they don't listen to me

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    ...not mine, but I thought I'd throw it to the masses...

Bronson Arroyo for Brandon Inge...

Detroit has pitching issues, and the Reds have bat issues....both make about the same amount of money, and Inge is kind of out of place in Detroit...

The problem with this trade is that Arroyo solves the Tiger's pitching woes, while Inge does absolutely nothing to solve our problems. You don't trade above average starters for players that only should be playing in abut a fifth of the games (Inge against lefties). Even then Inge is overrated and isn't likely to improve on the guy he replaces. I'm numb with confusion on why anyone would think this trade would make any sense for the Reds.

Yeah, I'd trade Arroyo but I don't get the love for Inge thing...

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

With Inge's salary and contract issues, he has negative value. He has no place to play on our team, and that's saying something considering our woes against lefties.

I'd rather have Cantu, who is better and cheaper.

Arroyo, if traded, could be moved for value.

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    With Inge's salary and contract issues, he has negative value. He has no place to play on our team, and that's saying something considering our woes against lefties.

I'd rather have Cantu, who is better and cheaper.

Arroyo, if traded, could be moved for value.
    Cantu isn't good at anything. Inge can play 3B, CF, and catch, and he does all of them well, which is pretty amazing when you think about it. I wouldn't trade Arroyo for him, but Inge is a very useful player for the right team.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

This trade idea is silly, but there would be plenty of opportunities for Inge to play. He would probably be as good defensively as Javy Valentin behind the plate, and he also can play every position. He could play CF against LH pitching...

EDIT: blumj beat me to it^^

Inge splits:

v. RH .229/.290/.375
    v. LH .275/.346/.455

this includes over 600 really crappy AB's from back in his catching days. Inge could be a very useful utility guy and RH bench power bat. The Tigers better pay some of that salary, however.

Another interesting Tiger, Marcus Thames:

v. RH .225/.285/.470
    v. LH .260/.332/.510

Pure power. He can play LF and 1B. Recently has been more productive than those career splits.

That said, Bronson Arroyo should bring back more than some bench players...

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by blumj View Post
    Cantu isn't good at anything. Inge can play 3B, CF, and catch, and he does all of them well, which is pretty amazing when you think about it. I wouldn't trade Arroyo for him, but Inge is a very useful player for the right team.

Useful player perhaps, but he's a poor player.

But trading Arroyo for him?

And I wouldn't pay a fortune on a long term contract for a "useful" player.

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    Yeah, I'd trade Arroyo but I don't get the love for Inge thing...
    My take too. It's time to get out while the gettin's good on Arroyo, but I'm not about to punt a chip like Bronson for Inge.

Useful player perhaps, but he's a poor player.

But trading Arroyo for him?

And I wouldn't pay a fortune on a long term contract for a "useful" player.
    I guess you and I have very different ideas of what constitutes a "poor player". I wouldn't trade Arroyo or pay a fortune for him, but I don't think he's a poor player at all. And certainly not compared to many, many other players who currently reside on major league rosters.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

As an offensive answer, Inge is a great defender.

At GABP, Brandon Inge would be something akin to David Bell having an above average year at the plate (above David Bell's average year not the leagues). With EE, I'm not sure why you'd play Inge at third but if you're not playing him at third, I'm not sure where you'd play him.

Trading 200 IP for a guy Detroit couldn't give away in order to marginalize EE seems a bit like a Rube Goldberg construction.

Last edited by jojo; 04-20-2008 at 02:34 PM.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

I'd like to have Inge, but Arroyo is a little much. I would do it if the Tigers would send a couple of near ready guys over. Inge has a cannon for a right arm.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Turn Off Ads?