Turn Off Ads?

Thread: If the Bengals got WR Michael Crabtree in 2009 would you accept a lousy 2008 season?

If the Bengals got WR Michael Crabtree in 2009 would you accept a lousy 2008 season?

Here in Lubbock it is already known that Texas Tech has Crabtree for one more season. He was the Bilentikoff winner as a Freshman, the first ever to do so. He might be the best WR prospect since Jerry Rice. If you knew it would get you Crabtree, most likely the #1 selection next season, what would you being willing for the Bengals to do or go through to get him?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: If the Bengals got WR Michael Crabtree in 2009 would you accept a lousy 2008 seas

Not sure if I'd take Crabtree over Rey Manumaleuma from USC. That kid is amazing.

Re: If the Bengals got WR Michael Crabtree in 2009 would you accept a lousy 2008 seas

No I wouldn't. Crabtree isn't good enough to turn this team around, and honestly I'd still like to put my high picks into the defense. One way or the other, the WR position will sort itself out. I don't see that as being a weakness in the immediate future.

I've never even heard of him, so no.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

I think I would aim for Sedrick Ellis this year, then James Laurianitis next.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

No one player is worth a lousy season, especially not a WR. While a great WR can really open up an offense, I just don't think a WR is nearly as valuable as a QB or a top player on the DLine or LB. A great QB, DL, LB, or even RB can be a game changing force on their own. A WR has a hard time changing the game without a good QB throwing to him. As great as Jerry Rice was, I don't think he would have been nearly as great if he didn't have Joe Montana and Steve Young throwing the ball to him. And it's not so much a reflection on Jerry Rice as it is a requirement for the job that you need someone who can throw accurate passes and won't get you hurt or killed making you open yourself up by reaching for off-target throws over the middle.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    I think I would aim for Sedrick Ellis this year, then James Laurianitis next.
    I'd rather have a WR than Laurianitis, at least we have depth at LB (most were injured/out last year and people tend to forget that)

Quote Originally Posted by NorrisHopper30 View Post
    I'd rather have a WR than Laurianitis, at least we have depth at LB (most were injured/out last year and people tend to forget that)
    Depth?

Pollack is coming back from a neck injury and there is still a great possibility he will never play again.

Thurman may or may not be reinstated by the league. Again, would you take that chance?

Landon Johnson is gone to Carolina. In his place we have Daryl Blackstock, who has never posted more than 17 tackles in a season.

Caleb Miller has never really proven anything.

Dhani Jones is a veteran journeyman player who likely will not be around after next season. Same with Lemar Marshall.

Our starting linebackers will likely be Ahmad Brooks, Rashad Jeanty, and Blackstock barring drafting one. We need depth in the worst kind of way.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Yeah the LB corps right now still looks bleak, about as unproven and bad as the safeties, d-line, and WR and RB corps.

This team's a mess, no idea how they improve from last year which was another step backwards. with Chad probably gone as well, I'm not really excited about the Bengals any longer, although I love watching Palmer play.

It's just hard to be optimistic.

By my count Thurman is a FA after this season or next, depending on his original contract, and whether last year counts.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    I've never even heard of him, so no.
    I don't know if you've heard, but they play football west of the Mississippi. Check it out sometime.

Quote Originally Posted by Handofdeath View Post
    I don't know if you've heard, but they play football west of the Mississippi. Check it out sometime.
    Its not a location thing, its a level thing. I'm not a huge college football guy. Hell I'd never heard of the quarterback at my own Alma Mater until he was arrested a couple weeks ago.

I watch like a half dozen or so games a year tops.

mostly I was just being silly in commenting at all.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Turn Off Ads?