Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Thurman Update

Thurman Update

Suspended LB Odell Thurman expects the NFL decide on his bid for reinstatement within "a few weeks."
    Thurman has been "working out, trying to get ready mentally and physically for the season." The Bengals would catch a huge break if he's allowed back in the league. Thurman has Pro Bowl-caliber skills for a middle linebacker.

If he stays clean I'm all for giving a guy another chance. Especially when it comes to drugs and stuff of the like.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Thurman Update

This is one situation I trust Marvin and Zimmer on (surprise I know). I don't think the staff would let Odell back in a major role unless they were pretty sure he is over the drug and law problems. The worst thing that would happen is the Bengals trusting and relying on Odell if he's still a loose cannon.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

If he is over his drug problems im all for letting the guy back. Would be a little nice if we knew why he wasnt let back the 1st time.

I think him not being able to play this year was more of a statement by a new commish wanting to show he will not tolerate players who can't behave than about something he did to not warrant his reinstatement. By all accounts he did what he was asked to do. Thats just my personal view. I hate that it was at the cost of the Bengals, but I like the statement. Now he better back that up with other players instead of just using Odell as an example. Vick would be the first one that comes to mind.

Quote Originally Posted by SeeinRed View Post
    I think him not being able to play this year was more of a statement by a new commish wanting to show he will not tolerate players who can't behave than about something he did to not warrant his reinstatement. By all accounts he did what he was asked to do. Thats just my personal view. I hate that it was at the cost of the Bengals, but I like the statement. Now he better back that up with other players instead of just using Odell as an example. Vick would be the first one that comes to mind.
    He had his chance with a lot of players. Jared Allen being the main one

Bengals.com just posted that Thurman as been cleared to work out at Paul Brown Stadium.

Thurman cleared for workouts

January 26, 2008
    Posted: 1:45 p.m.

Linebacker Odell Thurman has been cleared by the NFL to train and work out at the Bengals' Paul Brown Stadium facilities while he pursues possible reinstatement from an NFL suspension.

Thurman was not on the Bengals roster in 2006 or 2007, due to a suspension for violations of the league's Substance Abuse Policy.

"Odell remains on the league's suspended list, and it remains to be seen whether he will be able to meet the conditions for reinstatement," said Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis. "If he is reinstated, he will then have to earn the confidence of our management and coaching staff that he is ready to compete for a roster spot as an active member of our team. In the meantime, he is allowed to work out with our strength and conditioning and our training staffs."

Thurman reported to Paul Brown Stadium late this past week to check in with Bengals staff, and he will be working at the facility in days to come. Per team policy regarding players on suspension, he is not cleared to do interviews with news media.

Thurman, from the University of Georgia, was Cincinnati's second-round choice in the 2005 NFL Draft. He played in every Bengals game in 2005, starting 16 of 17 games (including postseason), and he led the team in the regular season with 148 tackles. He also led the team in forced fumbles (four), and his five interceptions led NFL rookies while tying the Bengals rookie INT record.

No timetable has been announced by the NFL regarding Thurman's possible reinstatement.

Source: http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=6610

Consider me kind of excited. He seemed like a good guy, always smiling and just had a abuse problem. Hope he really turns it around.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

If he can get back to form, he could be a huge kick in the rear for this defense....

A 3-4 may not be out of the question either, in that case...

Landon, Odell, Brooks, Geathers (I think he could be a beast as a DE/OLB tweener type)....and if (big if) Pollack can return, he could get some reps as well...and keep Dhani Jones around as well...he could even be a starter!

Not a bad squad...and it has depth!
    Last edited by Matt700wlw; 01-26-2008 at 02:44 PM.

I think Geathers could be a very very good guy in a 3-4, not really my unique opinion though.

I expect the D to stay 4-3 but they will do 3-4 from time to time just to keep the opponents offense thinking.
    Last edited by Bip Roberts; 01-26-2008 at 02:55 PM.

Who knows if he'll be the player he was a couple of years ago, but depth is much needed on this team, especially at linebacker.

Could you imagine the possibility of Thurman and Pollack playing on the same field again? It's hard to fathom, but I hope it happens because either story could inspire someone to turn their life around for the better.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    If he can get back to form, he could be a huge kick in the rear for this defense....

A 3-4 may not be out of the question either, in that case...

Landon, Odell, Brooks, Geathers (I think he could be a beast as a DE/OLB tweener type)....and if (big if) Pollack can return, he could get some reps as well...and keep Dhani Jones around as well...he could even be a starter!

Not a bad squad...and it has depth!
    With Odell it really is going to depend on what kind of shape he is in. Was he working out 5 or 6 days a week or was he just going through the motions. I think Marvin will start him out on special teams and than see how he develops. Two years for a football player is a long time to be out. His position may help him get back up to speed and starting fresh with Zimmer may help as well.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

I remember the last time I saw pictures of Odell I barely noticed him. Guy was getting pretty fat. I just hope the guy is clean more than anything. Hes still very very young and played at such a high level his rookie year it would be a shame for drugs to end up ruining his life more than it already has.

He's....What? 24 0r 25?

That's pretty young. He would have to be considered a major upgrade.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

Quote Originally Posted by wheels View Post
    He's....What? 24 0r 25?

That's pretty young. He would have to be considered a major upgrade.
    Hes 25 and hes still only had 1 year of NFL wear and tear on his body.

It would be like getting a steal of an undrafted free agent. If it works, awesome. If not, you lose nothing off the current team.

Turn Off Ads?