Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Reds and EE talking contract extension?

Re: Reds and EE talking contract extension?

I'd lock him up quick. I said before the season started EE would be the Reds best overall hitter. He's close right now.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Can we give his bat the extension and pass on the glove??

In all seriousness, the numbers obviously will tell if it's a good idea or not, but he's gonna hit...and I think when it's all said and done he's gonna hit really, really well in this park for this LH dominated lineup...

I've been intrigued by Dusty's constant refrain of how much EE cares, how hard he works and how much EE is bothered by making mistakes...probably making too much of it, but Dusty could simply not say these things if they weren't true...so if they are, it speaks to the fact that first EE is working to get better, and more importantly that he's finally playing for a manager that's gonna let him grow into who he is every day without fear of being replaced or sent down...

I've always wondered how EE's growth would've been helped by having a Larkin around, someone who not only could mentor him, but do so in his native Latin language...EE seems like a guy who could really use a Tony Perez or a Larkin sitting by him every day helping him grow...much as (apparently) Soto has been a huge asset for Cueto and Volquez...

You cannot defeat an ignorant man in an argument!
    -William Gibbs McAdoo

Though many of us here are sure trying

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

I could see EE playing LF in the not too distant future.

Quote Originally Posted by coachw513 View Post
    Can we give his bat the extension and pass on the glove??

In all seriousness, the numbers obviously will tell if it's a good idea or not, but he's gonna hit...and I think when it's all said and done he's gonna hit really, really well in this park for this LH dominated lineup...

I've been intrigued by Dusty's constant refrain of how much EE cares, how hard he works and how much EE is bothered by making mistakes...probably making too much of it, but Dusty could simply not say these things if they weren't true...so if they are, it speaks to the fact that first EE is working to get better, and more importantly that he's finally playing for a manager that's gonna let him grow into who he is every day without fear of being replaced or sent down...

I've always wondered how EE's growth would've been helped by having a Larkin around, someone who not only could mentor him, but do so in his native Latin language...EE seems like a guy who could really use a Tony Perez or a Larkin sitting by him every day helping him grow...much as (apparently) Soto has been a huge asset for Cueto and Volquez...
    Does Larkin speak Spanish?
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Does Larkin speak Spanish?
    fluently.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg View Post
    I would LOVE IT if EE moved to left and Kep takes over at 3rd.
    Dunn is horrible in left. EE's problems at 3rd are his throws and I suspect he would be fine in left. Kep's issue at SS is poor range. He is a fine at 2B or 3B.

Then replace Jr with Bruce and we have upgraded FOUR positions defensively.

the offensive loss would be Bruce replacing Griffey and Gonzalez replacing Dunn. targets for the Dunn & jr trades are a catcher who can hit & a centerfielder who can hit.

Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    I would LOVE IT if EE moved to left and Kep takes over at 3rd.
    Dunn is horrible in left. EE's problems at 3rd are his throws and I suspect he would be fine in left. Kep's issue at SS is poor range. He is a fine at 2B or 3B.

Then replace Jr with Bruce and we have upgraded FOUR positions defensively.

the offensive loss would be Bruce replacing Griffey and Gonzalez replacing Dunn. targets for the Dunn & jr trades are a catcher who can hit & a centerfielder who can hit.
    Which makes Matt Kemp a perfect target.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    I've heard and read that nobody works harder than Edwin.

I really don't think effort is the reason for his inconsistency.
    Well for whatever reason, he falls into huge funks.

Maybe the Reds management has put too much pressure on him. I was hoping with Dusty here, the fear of being sent to AAA after every mistake would go away, and he'd be more relaxed and perform better.

His hitting is coming around, so hopefully his defense will too.

I just see signing him longterm as a bit risky. The Reds should still look into it though, but it's a tough call. He could either become a solid player or go Willie Greene on us.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

I have zero problem buying out his arby years, and maybe a year or two into free agency with options.

Honestly, I'll be surprised if he doesn't end up in LF or 1B (with Votto in LF) next year. That's assuming he doesn't improve his defense.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

I could too.

I will see EE playing LF in the not too distant future.
    fixed that for you
    School's out. What did you expect?

I don't see Edwin as being a difficult contract to move at all.

What do you guys consider the "not too distant future"? This July? 2009?

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    What do you guys consider the "not too distant future"? This July? 2009?
    Whenever Dunn is not a Redleg anymore.

So depending how the Reds are looking this year, either could be correct. 09 Opening Day at the latest, IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Turn Off Ads?