Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Will Barry Larkin make the Hall of Fame?

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Re: Will Barry Larkin make the Hall of Fame?

Quote Originally Posted by crazybob60 View Post
    Honestly, to tell you the truth, I don't think its a question of whether Larkin will get in or not. Its a question of whether he will be the only inductee or if someone like Jack Morris will be inducted as well. If Larkin goes in by himself, I think it makes it even more special. Just my opinion.
    Unfortunately, Ron Santo got elected so us Reds' fans will have to deal with all of those Cubbies in Cooperstown. That being said, Santo won't personally be delivering an acceptance speech so Larkin could be the only player still alive inducted.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Interesting comparison about Larkin and Alan Trammel from Posnanski. The whole column is an interesting take on the Hall as well.

ALAN TRAMMELL

Last year: 24.3% of the vote

I think Barry Larkin will get into the Hall of Fame this year, and I think he deserves to get in.

He was a great player. In the section above, I list those players who did everything well — he fits right in. He hit for average, got on base, hit with some power, played excellent shortstop defense, stole bases, led by example, starred in the World Series…

I’m talking about Barry Larkin.

No, actually, I’m talking about Alan Trammell.

No, actually, I don’t see much difference between them.

Take two shortstops. They play almost exactly the same length of time — one had almost 9,400 plate appearances, the other almost 9,100. They have almost the exact same number of hits. One had a 116 OPS+, the other a 110 OPS+. One has three Gold Gloves, the other four (their defensive statistics, if you prefer those, are similar). One won an MVP award, the other finished second and should have won. One had a great World Series, the other won the World Series MVP. One played in a better era for offense, and had more homers, doubles and stolen bases. The other was more consistent and, by WAR, had three of the four best seasons between them.

By Baseball Reference, Barry Larkin had 68.9 WAR, Alan Trammell 66.9.

By Fangraphs, Barry Larkin had 70.6 WAR, Alan Trammell 69.5

Larkin has a slight lead, but realistically they are about as close as two shortstops can be. Trammell is Larkin’s No. 1 comp; Larkin is Trammell’s No. 2 comp — and now they are on the Hall of Fame ballot together. But while Larkin is on the Hall of Fame doorstep (I really do believe that he will be elected this year), Trammell has been on the ballot for 11 years and has never seen his case spark with the voters.

You could reasonably argue that Larkin was a slightly better player. But I’m not sure I’ve heard a good argument for how the Hall of Fame line could be drawn in the slender gap between them.
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

Larkin will be elected, and yes, Trammell should have been already.

If Trammell had a job on MLBN, his vote would double, and that's no slight on Barry. Just reality. Larkin was better. Trammel had a excellent "quiet" career, which hurts his vote count.

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    I have said the same thing about the Trammell/Larkin comparison for some time. WOY told me once that simply Trammell was no Larkin, but I don't remember if he gave details why.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

Think of all the time Lark missed with injuries and the stats he would have added. He played in 150+ games just four times in 19 years. Only had six years of over 140 games. If you use 145 games as a mark, he missed roughly 513 games/3.16 seasons.

Possibly or maybe conservatively he could/would have added: 522 Hits| 100 2b| 18 3B| 45 HR| 84 SB Using his 162g average.

It was a privilege to watch him for 19 years. I sure hope he gets it next month.
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

Anyone know the exact date for the 2012 HOF weekend? I see it is always late July, but I guess it could be the 21-22 just as well as the 28-29. Does anyone know for sure?

Fred McGriff should be in the Hall. I just don't understand why he doesn't get more support. He was a great player for a long time.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    Anyone know the exact date for the 2012 HOF weekend? I see it is always late July, but I guess it could be the 21-22 just as well as the 28-29. Does anyone know for sure?
    It's the weekend of the 21st.

I'm ready to make my first ever trip to Cooperstown.

Has anyone here ever visited for induction weekend? I'm curious just how crowded the actual Hall of Fame would be say Saturday or Monday.
    Back to following MiLB; there's always hope for tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by cincy09 View Post

Has anyone here ever visited for induction weekend? I'm curious just how crowded the actual Hall of Fame would be say Saturday or Monday.
    I've been to two of them. We went through the museum on Saturday - it was pretty crowded, but not unbearable. Every baseball fan should go to at least one induction ceremony...it is a sight to be at.

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    I agree. I rank Larkin higher than Trammell but Trammell is still HOF worthy. Barry is probably one of the top 5 or 6 shortstops ever, while Trammell is in the top 10-12.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Quote Originally Posted by cincy09 View Post

Fantastic! That's the weekend I was pulling for. The Red Sox are home the week before the induction ceremony and I have never been to Fenway. This will be a fantastic summer vacation.

Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    Fantastic! That's the weekend I was pulling for. The Red Sox are home the week before the induction ceremony and I have never been to Fenway. This will be a fantastic summer vacation.
    In case you haven't already been warned, you do not want RF grandstand seats at Fenway if you have a choice.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Quote Originally Posted by blumj View Post
    In case you haven't already been warned, you do not want RF grandstand seats at Fenway if you have a choice.
    Thanks for the heads up. Not to take this thread too far off track, but what tickets are the best bang for your buck at Fenway? I have never been and am willing to by better than the cheapest tickets if they offer a much better view. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by blumj View Post
    I am curious, why not?
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Turn Off Ads?