Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Get me Jay Bruce!

Get me Jay Bruce!

I got a feeling that with this pathetic offense and the Reds winning 1 out of ever 3 games lately, Dusty's had it up to here. I know rumor had it that he was lobbying for Bruce to come up here a couple of weeks ago but now I have to believe his efforts are going to increase until Wayne calls Bruce up. And I think it could happen within the week. I don't know who is going down or getting traded or released but I think it coud happen very soon.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Get me Jay Bruce!

I hope he does. But Dusty better insert him in CF, leave him there, and show this young kid some patience. Put Patterson on the bench with Hopper and give them a backgammon board.

Votto is starting to get comfortable, and it's starting to show. Learn something from that Dusty.

The debate would be where would Dusty bat him? Probably 6th behind Dunn.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

I'm ready for him too. Bring him up and give him a shot.This offense has nothing to lose by doing this. If he struggles you can always send him back down.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Seems to me the unspoken benefit of having Bruce up and playing in CF the majority of the time is the ability to give needed rest to Dunn and Griffey, allowing Patterson to slide in at CF and Bruce to the corner spots...if the offense is to improve, being able to specifically target off-days for those 2 while still having Bruce in the lineup would be SO much better than Hopper or Freel...plus, I'd rather have Freel occasionally spell the IF spots as the lack of power in the lineup would not be quite so dramatic...

You cannot defeat an ignorant man in an argument!
    -William Gibbs McAdoo

Though many of us here are sure trying

Cruisin' for trouble

The Reds have a bunch of players being miscast in positions they don't belong.

Dunn should be a first-baseman
    Griffey should be a first-baseman
    Encarnacion should be moved to first or corner OF
    Keppinger should be at 2nd or 3rd base
    Bruce should be a corner OF

Putting all of them on the field at the same time is just asking for more pressure on the pitching staff to pitch perfectly. Quite frankly, any ball in play right now is not just a job, it's an adventure.

Without some sort of trade to get the key players in the positions they belong, I don't think bringing up Bruce is going to solve anything.

I disagree. Leave Homer and Bruce at AAA. It's a lost season, no sense in bringing them up right now. Maybe bring them up at the All Star break.

Neither Bruce nor Homer is going to turn this team into a contender. Let's not get overly hasty.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    I disagree. Leave Homer and Bruce at AAA. It's a lost season, no sense in bringing them up right now. Maybe bring them up at the All Star break.

Neither Bruce nor Homer is going to turn this team into a contender. Let's not get overly hasty.
    I don't disagree with your thoughts on Homer and Bruce but you've already proclaimed this season as lost? I figured this would be a year of transition but I'm not ready to throw in the towel on April 22. This team is playing about as bad as a team can play in all facets (offense, defense, pitching, base running) with the exception of a few players and still they are only 8-12. I hope the front office isn't making decisions based on this being a lost season already...
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

Wow. It is already a lost season? Things change really quick don't they? I by the way disagree. I still think the Reds can play .500 ball. That isn't a championship but that is better than they are doing now.
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

If its true the season is lost (I disagree) then why not cut the vets and bring up the young players to speed up their development. Bruce and Homer have both proven they can be successful at AAA. The only reason to keep Bruce down is if he's not going to play every day which seems rediculous given the current situation.

Man Pills

Good to know the key to this team's success is simply replacing Patterson with Bruce in the leadoff spot.

My take is that the Reds need to replace its mammoth number of #6 spot hitters, period. Maybe Bruce is one of them. We'll see.

P.S., I think I'll blow a gasket if the Reds promote Bailey. Talk about torpedoing a commodity.

Quote Originally Posted by paulrichjr View Post
    Wow. It is already a lost season? Things change really quick don't they? I by the way disagree. I still think the Reds can play .500 ball. That isn't a championship but that is better than they are doing now.
    My wildest dreams for this team is .500 this year. And I'm quite OK with that.

Therefore, I would actually agree with REDREAD.

Perhaps Spock has a beard in this universe.
    "Bring on Rod Stupid!"

Quote Originally Posted by GoReds View Post
    The Reds have a bunch of players being miscast in positions they don't belong.

Dunn should be a first-baseman
    Griffey should be a first-baseman
    Encarnacion should be moved to first or corner OF
    Keppinger should be at 2nd or 3rd base
    Bruce should be a corner OF

Putting all of them on the field at the same time is just asking for more pressure on the pitching staff to pitch perfectly. Quite frankly, any ball in play right now is not just a job, it's an adventure.

Without some sort of trade to get the key players in the positions they belong, I don't think bringing up Bruce is going to solve anything.
    these are my thoughts exactly.

the Reds defense is still awful.
    Dunn & Jr need to go to the AL.
    EE to LF & Kep to 3B when Dunn is gone.
    Bruce to RF when Jr is gone.
    Get a CF and/or catcher as part of the return for Dunn and Jr.

The team would look like this:

1B Votto (L)
    2B Phillips
    SS Gonzalez ( for the rest of 2008 & 2009 )
    3B Keppinger
    LF EE
    CF ?
    RF Bruce (L)
    C ?

The defense would be markedly improved. The offense would still have at least 5 good bats.

Neither Bruce nor Homer is going to turn this team into a contender.
    I disagree with your assessment of their potential impact.
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Maybe not individually, but together who knows. Bringing them both up creates the need for roster moves. At this point, let's cut some dead weight and see what these kids can do. Lost season or not.
    I'm just like everybody else. I have two arms, two legs and 4,000 hits."

-Pete Rose

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    ...Votto is starting to get comfortable, and it's starting to show. Learn something from that Dusty.
    Dusty has handled Votto perfectly, at the expense of a lesser production from Hatteberg. But that is better than the other way around.

Turn Off Ads?