Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First mock draft I have seen

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

First mock draft I have seen

The guys over at Saber-scouting have pumped out their first mock draft. Here is what they have for the Reds:

#7 - Cincinnati Reds

Frankie: Cincy has faith in their high schoolers. Melville should be right there for the taking. Am I the only one that sees a match there? He’s right up their alley and I really have seen no hint that they are changing their draft philosophy anytime soon. And, I really don’t think there’s another guy there for them to take that fits as well as Melville.

Kiley: So, I guess we’re only going to agree on #1. At #7, the Reds have all the first baseman still on the board; Hosmer, Smoak, and Alonso, and they arguably make up the top 3 players on the board. And Joey Votto isn’t the type of guy to force you not to take a 1B, especially with these 1Bs officially slipping. The Reds don’t have a history of paying for Boras guys (Hosmer) and Smoak is the consenus guy ahead of Alonso, so for me, this pick is Smoak or whoever the Reds have as the top arm, either Tulane’s Shooter Hunt, Fresno State’s Tanner Scheppers, or Missouri prepster Tim Melville. I think when it comes down to it, the Reds take the pitcher and go with Tulane’s version of Homer Bailey, Shooter Hunt.

Kiley: In a related note, no Matusz through seven picks?! His fanclub will be coming to your doorstep!

Frankie: It’s coming, shhhh. His spotlight time is coming.

Kiley: The creepiest line in Mock Draft history.

Frankie’s Projection for #7: Tim Melville, RHP, Missouri’s Holt HS

Kiley’s Projection for #7: Shooter Hunt, RHP, Tulane

http://www.saberscouting.com/2008/04/21/2008mockdraft1/

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: First mock draft I have seen

How can you not draft a pitcher named Shooter Hunt?

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    When you draft a pitcher named Tim Melville

Pretty much my line of thought too. Homer, Shooter, and Johhny K.

Thats got the makings of a rotation for the ages....name wise.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Hunt doesn't use his legs nearly as well as Bailey, which has been noted on another thread. I would stay away from him. Sounds like a shoulder blowout candidate.

Do you draft for need at this point or talent? Do you pass on a 1stbaseman or Melville because they aren't a "need" and instead look at SS or a polished lefthanded starter?

Why is no one talking about Christian Friedrich. He is having a very good year this year for EKU. Granted he isn't playing top flight competition in the OVC. But I have seen him pitch as I have a buddy who goes to school down there. We have gone to a couple of his games, and let me tell you this guy has the mechanics and the stuff to be a very good pitcher, as well as the polish to soar through the minors. And is curve by the way is sick, it is practically unhittable. With our need for a lefty in the rotation, and the stuff he has, it almost seems like a no-brainer. idk why you would waste your time with a Shooter Hunt who has questionable mechanics.

I would be very upset if Matusz and Smoak were on the board and the Reds passed. Especially on Matusz.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    I would be very upset if Matusz and Smoak were on the board and the Reds passed. Especially on Matusz.
    As would I.

Benihana, I agree completely. If Matusz was on their board, and he didn't even get sniffed at by the Reds, I'd pull my hair. He's exactly what this team needs, and his stock is still high as far as I know.
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

Matusz is probably ideal for a need. Doesn't throw overly hard, but has very good secondary stuff and is left-handed.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    Pretty much my line of thought too. Homer, Shooter, and Johhny K.

Thats got the makings of a rotation for the ages....name wise.

Poor analysis, in my opinion. It would be very odd for Chris Buckley to take a HS pitcher with lots of good/comparable college talent on the board.

There's a zillion mock drafts already out there. It's such a long ways away and High School and College teams are just starting their seasons.

I'd like us to draft the best hitter regardless of position.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    I'd like us to draft the best player regardless of position.
    There, fixed that for ya.
    Go BLUE!!!

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

I don't think teams should draft for need. Most of these guys, even college players, are far enough away that by the time they reach the majors, the big club's needs and the organizational depth at that position could have changed completely. At best, it should be a tiebreaker if the top guys on the board have essentially equal grades.

And anyway, when is pitching ever NOT an organizational need? If the Reds or any other club ever goes into a draft thinking "we don't need pitching this year," they'll be the first club in the history of the draft to feel that way. But I realize we're discussing just the first-round pick here.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Turn Off Ads?