Turn Off Ads?

Thread: On the bright side

On the bright side

Daryl Thompson allowed one run on six hits in six innings on Sunday for Double-A Chattanooga. He is now 2-0 with a 0.76 ERA and 25/1 K/BB ratio in 23.2 innings this season.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: On the bright side

I was at the Reds game on Sunday and I turned to my friend with me, and as we looked at Thompson's stats as they flashed on the big screen, I said that it is great that we can look at our minors and see great pitching coming up for a change. For as bad as we play sometimes, this is one year that we can at least say we can promote from within if all else fails.

Is it just me or is Homer Bailey just one Matt Belisle-like stint in the majors away from dropping behind Darryl Thompson on the prospect list?

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Is it just me or is Homer Bailey just one Matt Belisle-like stint in the majors away from dropping behind Darryl Thompson on the prospect list?
    I think it's just you (and Acronchis).

Bailey is the third youngest player in AAA.

One game wouldn't change that much.

Thompson's stock has risen, but Bailey's hasn't fallen.

FWIW, I like Bailey better today than last year when he came to the majors.

Bailey is probably the number 3 pitching prospect right now. Thompson at 1 and Wood at 2.

Oh boy.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aronchis View Post
    Bailey is probably the number 3 pitching prospect right now. Thompson at 1 and Wood at 2.
    Zing, he will be here all night folks. Check back every night for more.

Quote Originally Posted by Aronchis View Post
    C'mon pal. There is optimism, pessimism, and realism....that statement is none of the above.

You've been a good guy here a good long time, why all the hate on the minor leaguers these days?

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    I think it's just you (and Acronchis).

Bailey is the third youngest player in AAA.

One game wouldn't change that much.

Thompson's stock has risen, but Bailey's hasn't fallen.

FWIW, I like Bailey better today than last year when he came to the majors.
    The last time I saw Bailey pitch was this Spring in Sarasota and he did not look good. No command and a very straight fastball. You're telling me Bailey has licked those problems and doesn't look like the pitcher we saw in Sarasota? I hope you're right 'cause I don't get to Louisville Bats games

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    The last time I saw Bailey pitch was this Spring in Sarasota and he did not look good. No command and a very straight fastball. You're telling me Bailey has licked those problems and doesn't look like the pitcher we saw in Sarasota? I hope you're right 'cause I don't get to Louisville Bats games
    Thats exactly what I am telling you. Its what David Ross is telling you as well.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Thats exactly what I am telling you. Its what David Ross is telling you as well.
    Doug, at that point we agree. Bailey's spring training stuff isn't useable. If Sarasota can't get that, tough.

Bailey is throwing harder and more in a flow than he was 4 weeks ago. My guess 4 weeks from now he will be throwing even harder and in a even better flow. My complaints are his offspeed, especially his curve which hasn't been used much don't seem to be coming around.

As for his straight fastball, uh, ok. I watched a bit of Clemens 20k effort in 1986 the other night and his fastball looked pretty straight. But the heavy action was rediculous.

Zing, he will be here all night folks. Check back every night for more.
    Oh, I always do. It's the best thing about the Minor League Forum...

With the way things are going up I-71 (Arroyo, Belisle) Bailey is going to get to show us all whether he's improved his game sooner rather than later. I'd say he's got maybe one more start in AAA.

Turn Off Ads?