Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Pollack is retiring

Pollack is retiring

http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=6737

Nearly three years to the day they took David Pollack with their first pick in the 2005 NFL Draft, Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis said he is headed to retirement.

Lewis also denied an ESPN report that the Bengals turned down the Redskins' offer of a first-round pick this year and potentially next for Chad Johnson.

Pollack, a defensive end at Georgia that the Bengals chose No. 17, had a tough, brief pro career that was in such contrast to his All-American run. His switch to strong-side linebacker was complicated by a nearly three-week holdout and injuries limited him to 14 games, but he did become the first Bengals' rookie to log a post-season sack and with four of his 4.5 sacks coming late in the season he looked to have turned the corner.

But he suffered a broken neck Sept. 17, 2006 in the second game of the season trying to tackle Browns running back Reuben Droughns. Lewis said Pollack told him last week that he wasn't comfortable with the neck medically despite being cleared to play.

Citing team and league sources, ESPN.com says that the Redskins offered their first-round pick, No. 21 overall this year, and a conditional third-rounder in 2009 that could escalate to a first rounder if Johnson and the Redskins hit certain performance levels,

But speaking at a Tuesday news conference for this weekend's draft, Lewis said that Bengals president "Mike Brown has not received a phone call."

The club has been adamant in not trading the disgruntled five-time Pro Bowl wide receiver and ESPN's Chris Mortensen said the Eagles and Cowboys have also been told Johnson is not on the market.

With Johnson talking retirement if the Bengals don't trade him, Lewis said, "He's a man of his word. He says he's not going to play, so don't play."

"It's time to do what you're going to say you do and we'll just move forward," Lewis said.

Quarterback Carson Palmer, who unintentionally got in the middle of L'Affaire Chad last week when Johnson ripped Palmer for saying he would be here when he had to be, avoided saying much Tuesday.

"I take it with a grain of salt," Palmer said. "I've always been a forgiving guy," and he still would like Johnson to come back because he's been such a good player. With uncertainly surrounding Johnson, the release of Chris Henry and lingering injuries to Kenny Irons and Chris Perry, Lewis said the Bengals go into the draft looking for receivers and running backs, as well as linebackers and defensive backs.

But he indicated the priority is on the defensive line, where they seek a run-stuffing tackle and USC's Sedrick Ellis looks to be the fit at No. 9.

No team has traded up into the top seven since 2003 and while Lewis didn't rule it out, he was cautious about making any trades. He fears a trade down to get an extra pick could put a player the Bengals want out of reach.

"You don't want to get cute," Lewis said. "I would be reluctant to advise us to do that."

Lewis mentioned both lines as priorities, but there doesn't look to be much room on the offensive line. He said he's encouraged by the health of tackles Willie Anderson and Levi Jones, feels they've got solid insurance in guards that can move to tackle in Stacy Andrews and Andrew Whitworth, and believes backup guard Nate Livings and backup center Dan Santucci can contribute in the interior.

But Lewis warned of some Draft Day surprises because of the volatility of this draft.

"There's going to be different (outcomes) that won't be the popular belief," he said. "After the first couple of players, there are going to be varying views."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Pollack is retiring

Sad. I was at the game where he got injured versus the Browns.

Really makes you wonder "what might have been." I think he would have been a hell of a professional football player. Non-stop motor, amazing work ethic, and a really great kid. Quite sad.

BTW: What I would give to put Pollack's heart, mind, and character into more than a few of these Bungles.

Good. I'd hate to see him get hurt again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Good. I'd hate to see him get hurt again.
    Same here. A very small part of me is disappointed, as that small part of me would have liked to see him come back as a great.
    The main part of me, though, is afraid that something even worse could have happened.

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    BTW: What I would give to put Pollack's heart, mind, and character into more than a few of these Bungles.
    I was just thinking the same thing. David is an outstanding guy and I wish him nothing but the best.
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

Quote Originally Posted by HeatherC1212 View Post
    I was just thinking the same thing. David is an outstanding guy and I wish him nothing but the best.
    It's true.

Yet another terrible break for this snakebit franchise. As if ownership's incompetence isn't enough, we seem to get more than our fair share of crappy luck.

I hope his injury doesn't hurt him out of football. I havn't heard weather he has problems with it hurting off and on, or not. Good luck David.

Wow, how great did the future look when you had a rising offense, Pollack and Thurman rising, and Carson at QB. The Bengals franchise is in shambles again. Nothing new there. Seems like a distant memory when we were looking for a Bengals team that could possibly make a run at the Super Bowl. I know many around here got caught up in the hype.

I have seen it after 1981 and 1988 also.......

By 1983....the USFL had raided this team the worst ( WHY? Beacuse of the fact that the players were the lowest piad ) When the uSFL comes at you with dollars and your career is short...you are going to take it.
    They lost Ross after 1983....LeClair....Dinkel...Lapham....not great players and a little older but still useful AND it showed complete disarray within this org.

They also fired their OC Lindy Infante who helped rebuild Anderson and the offense right before training camp or exhibition season AND they did not hire an OC....that's right...the Bengals never listed as having an OC.

Also Ross browner and Pete Johnson were suspended for first 4 games for cocaine poss or something in that vain. What a mess.

After 1988.....Brown holdouts before 1989......they lose Woods in game 2 of 1989. Minimal compared to 1983....and they did go to playoffs in 1990 but they were half the team of 1988 and by 1991 they were done.

NOTHING CHANGES.....this org is incapable of sustaining any success.

Turn Off Ads?