Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Jerry Hairston Jr appreciation thread

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Re: Jerry Hairston Jr appreciation thread

Watch Janish start today now that Hairston is really hot.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Hairston was named in the steroid investigation, which he of course denied, but I just want to make the wry observation that if its true then he is perhaps the first athlete that has remarkably improved performance sans enhancement.

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    but his track record says he will. His track record isn't terribly different than Bako.
    So you take advantage of while we can and play them. Lets not worry about the past or what they might regress to (future). The only reason that Hairston is playing is not because this organization sees him as a regular (he wasn't acquired for that purpose); but because he was thrust into service due to key injuries to Gonzo and then Keppinger.

I'll take him over Castro.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

i don't know about jerry's past but its been stated this is the first time he's been health for a while. he's done nothing but hit since he's been called up. it will be interesting to see what happens when keppinger is ready to go. if hariston is still hitting and EE is still being EE then dusty will have to make a decision. right now besides the great play every now and then EE is giving us nothing.
    there's nothing like bowling a 300 game! 13 now and retired.

Ricky henderson has a higher OBP than C. patterson and he's retired. C. Trent 6-14-2008

Hairston has continued to be quite a solid little pickup for us this year.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Jerry Hairston Jr

1. my current favorite Red

2. if he continues to play well I would like him back again next year as a utility guy. I suspect we could get him for less than other teams because he has found success and hopefully a comfort zone here

3. question. since he signed a one year minor league deal what is his status at the end of 2008. i am assuming he is a free agent. right?

Re: Jerry Hairston Jr

Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post

2. if he continues to play well I would like him back again next year
    if he continues to play well, he should really be traded.

Quote Originally Posted by princeton View Post
    I agree...especially if he can bring a return.

He's having a really great year with the Reds, but he's not part of the long-term team and would probably have more value with a contender.

Flipping Hairston for say, a decent upside bullpen arm in AAA (a Roenicke type), would be a very astute move.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by princeton View Post
    Sell high, and sell high as soon as possible.

The light usually doesn't come on for guys like him at age 32. What you are seeing right now is nothing more than a mirage. Plain and simple.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

[QUOTE=Caveat Emperor;1681250]Sell high, and sell high as soon as possible.

Certain skills can develop later in a career. It's true in all sports. You don't usually develop speed or dramatically improve power. A pitcher doesn't develop velocity in his thirties.

But a guy can develop the ability to use the whole field and improve his BA and OBP. A guy can develop better patience at the plate. A guy can learn not to swing for the fences all the time.

Hairston is a talented player who never put it together as a young guy. Last two years he was injured and didn't play much. That he is now able to get on base at a good clip may be a mirage, but it may be maturation as a hitter.

Because of his career stats, Hairston won't bring much in a trade. Maybe a decent minor leaguer, certainly not a star minor leaguer. There's no reason to trade him. At worst, he is a good backup who plays a lot of positions. At best, he is the leadoff hitter the team needs.

And while some don't care about the abundance of lefty hitters on the Reds, those of us who do see Hairston's righty bat as helpful against lefty pitching.

Keep him.
    Last edited by Kc61; 07-01-2008 at 02:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Keep him.
    As far as I can tell, he's got more than 7 years of ML service time and is on a 1 year deal. Unless he signs an extension (here or elsewhere), he's going to be a free agent.

The reasonable options would be to trade him or to extend him. Keeping him for the remainder of the year only to see him walk would be an utter waste, unless of course you think the Reds are going to compete this year.
    Last edited by RedsManRick; 07-01-2008 at 02:41 PM.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

I'm with Kc61

He will likely come back for 2009 at a reasonable salary.
    Our bench has been terrible this year.
    He does not seem to be a mirage. He is playing well and has all year.
    His baseball IQ is 100X Ryan Freel's.

I am not saying give him a 2 yr $10M deal nor am I saying make him a starter.
    I am saying if he keeps it up bring him back at a reasonable price.
    After all we have about 10/25 open spots on the 2009 team.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    But a guy can develop the ability to use the whole field and improve his BA and OBP. A guy can develop better patience at the plate. A guy can learn not to swing for the fences all the time.
    I don't think you'll find a long list of guys who suddenly became .800+ OPS and .300+ AVG hitters after spending 2,750 PAs and 9 major league seasons as an utterly forgettable sub-.700 OPS and ~.250 AVG hitter.

Hairston's had a hot run of things here. It happens to even the most mediocre players -- the mistake is giving them contracts that ignore mountains of bad data and focus solely on the smidge of good data that happens to be the most recent.

Seriously, the franchise would be six kinds of dumb to give him a dime of guaranteed money for next year and seven kinds of dumb to pass an opportunity to get any kind of real talent in return on a trade for him.
    Last edited by Caveat Emperor; 07-01-2008 at 03:06 PM.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

SERP deep cover ops WebScorpion's Avatar

Re: I'm with Kc61

Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    He will likely come back for 2009 at a reasonable salary.
    Our bench has been terrible this year.
    He does not seem to be a mirage. He is playing well and has all year.
    His baseball IQ is 100X Ryan Freel's.

I am not saying give him a 2 yr $10M deal nor am I saying make him a starter.
    I am saying if he keeps it up bring him back at a reasonable price.
    After all we have about 10/25 open spots on the 2009 team.
    ...and if he won't BE reasonably priced, which most FA's are not? What then? Overpay? or let him walk for nothing? I think he's beyond arbitration, or I'd suggest we offer him that and get draft picks if he walks. I agree, he'd be great to keep at a reasonable price. But I don't think he'll be reasonably priced, so what appears to be the best option is to trade him for whatever we can get at the deadline. That's my opinion.

"This field, this game, is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and what could be again." -- Terence Mann

Turn Off Ads?