Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Jerry Hairston Jr appreciation thread

Re: Jerry Hairston Jr appreciation thread

I know that he put a smile on my face and a glow in my heart.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Aside from his Reds debut, Hairiston has been great at Louisville.

Jerry Hairston Jr., age 31, is your current batting leader in the International League. His current line is .421/.450/.721 for an OPS of 1.222. He has one steal in two tries. Certainly this is due to small sample size....at least to some degree.

However, Hairston has hit 3 HRs, 7 doubles, and 2 triples in 57 ABs in Louisville this year.

Might this be another Keppinger situation where WK has picked up a strong player for nothing? Supposedly Jerry has been playing hurt the last few years. We shall see how long his hot hitting continues.
    "I think we’re starting to get to the point where people are starting to get tired of this stretch of ball,” Votto said. “I think something needs to start changing and start going in a different direction. I’m going to do my part to help make that change.”

He said that he hadn't been healthy for two years. Perhaps he is now, wouldn't that be sweet.

Lil' Jr. may exceed some expectations, I know during some ST and minor league interviews he has stated he is healthy for the first time in years. Let's ride this wave for the time being.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

I've been saying this for a couple weeks - get him up here. He's a vet and he's riding a hot bat - and with a veteran player that is likely to carry over. With a rookie you have no idea.

You play him until he cools off. If he truly has turned a corner because of poor health the past couple seasons that's great but its something he'll have to prove to me by hitting over a long period.

One thing's for sure - he's sparked the team tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by mbgrayson View Post

Might this be another Keppinger situation where WK has picked up a strong player for nothing?
    No.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

11 seasons in the bigs,,,,,,,, .253/.324/.357 Injury indeed.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Freak View Post
    Even Jason Ramano had a few good games in CF...
    Was it really necesary to remind us of him?

For a Level Playing Field

The 2001 return of Deion Sanders has been mentioned as a "do not too excited too soon" about the great 1st game.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/bo...00105010.shtml

Some parallels... :

* Deion's game (like Hairston) was against the LA Dodgers.
    * Deion had multiple hits... one extra base-hit and the rest singles (like Hairston).
    * Deion had three RBIs in the game (like Hairston).
    * Deion stole one base (3rd). Hairston stole 3rd base.

One more thing...
    * One of Deion's hits was a HR... off (starter) Eric Gagne. Almost 7 years later Gagne gave up two HRs (Edwin/Bako) on a Cincinnati mound.
    Last edited by RedFanAlways1966; 04-22-2008 at 10:02 PM.

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

4 hits, 3 RBI.. Thanks for the spark, Jerry

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

LOUISVILLE (AP) - Cincinnati Reds farmhand Jerry Hairston Jr. was found in his Louisville-area apartment today, bound and gagged with duct tape in the bathroom. Police were dispatched to the area after neighbors complained of banging and loud noises in the apartment that should have been empty. Jerry Hairston Jr. was supposed to have flown to Cincinnati yesterday after being called up by the parent Reds team.

In what is being described as an unrelated story, fellow Louisville Bat Jay Bruce has not been seen in 2 days.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    LOUISVILLE (AP) - Cincinnati Reds farmhand Jerry Hairston Jr. was found in his Louisville-area apartment today, bound and gagged with duct tape in the bathroom. Police were dispatched to the area after neighbors complained of banging and loud noises in the apartment that should have been empty. Jerry Hairston Jr. was supposed to have flown to Cincinnati yesterday after being called up by the parent Reds team.

In what is being described as an unrelated story, fellow Louisville Bat Jay Bruce has not been seen in 2 days.

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    11 seasons in the bigs,,,,,,,, .253/.324/.357 Injury indeed.
    Agree with you jojo BUT it would be really helpful and not outlandish to see Jerry put up a career year.... say .293/.364/.407 good enough to help but not especially remarkable - but then I fear they'd extend him and "old" Jerry would sure be back next season to balance the statistical scales.

He should retire now and go down in glory
    Go Gators!

Trade him while he still has value.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Turn Off Ads?