Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Becoming an umpire?

Becoming an umpire?

What is the process of this? I was thinking of doing a little umpiring this summer for some extra money on the side. I'm not sure how to get started though.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Becoming an umpire?

Find a good association that you can work for. Look for one that not only will assign you games but also teach you how to umpire or at the very least assign you with a veteran partner who can teach you the ropes.

Also focus on getting the calls right and worry about knowing the rule book later. Its more important to get the calls right then to focus on ridiculous rule scenarios that MIGHT happen once every five years or so.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

George is right on. Plus, in my area, the leagues hold clinics for umps - there's always a need. Most of the time they'll pair you with a guy who's been doing it for awhile but not always. It's a fun way to earn some extra money - leagues here are paying about 30 bucks a game for softball, and anywhere from 25 to 75 for baseball.

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

I'm actually thinking of doing something like this myself, I think it could be a fun way to make some extra money over the summer.

I'm going to have to work on a really emphatic strike call.

I'm still having a hard time finding exactly what I need. I've looked for associations, but I don't see one in my area.

Do I go here? http://www.baberuthleague.org/side-i...mpireassn.html I don't want to sign up and pay for this if it won't work in my town. Also, do you have to purchase your own gear to be an umpire or is it typically provided?

Quote Originally Posted by TeamSelig View Post
    Do I go here? http://www.baberuthleague.org/side-i...mpireassn.html I don't want to sign up and pay for this if it won't work in my town. Also, do you have to purchase your own gear to be an umpire or is it typically provided?
    For me it's provided, but I only umpire for the city league. If you are really serious about umpiring, you are gonna want to buy your own gear...

I'm not. Just a hobby / quick & easy summer cash flow

I had to purchsae my own gear when I got into umping. I don't know any associations that provide umps with equipment and every ump that I've ever worked with owned his own stuff.

I got into it through a teacher at my high school who was in charge of all the umpires for Fayette County.

You should be able to get in touch with one of the league coordinators who can tell you who assigns all of their umpires. That's the person you want to talk to.

Quote Originally Posted by TeamSelig View Post
    There aren't little leagues around where you live? That's the way I started. If you don't know someone involved in the league then it will require you to go to the league and start asking around for the chief umpire. Since you've never umpired you'll probably start out on t-ball games. It'll be less money than the older kids games, but it will get you experience. If you do find a league to let you umpire one way to become a favorite of the chief umpire (other than being good) is to be available as much as possible and be willing to fill in on very short notice.

As far as your gear. I'd wait to find out what you're doing before you go out and purchase equipment. If you're just doing t-ball, just get yourself a decent pair of grey pants and black shoes. Eventually you'll want your own gear though.

Once you start umpiring the most important thing that I have learned is to stay calm. Be in charge, but be calm. You're going to make bad calls, parents will yell at you, coaches will yell at you, people will lose their cool, but losing yours will not help. Especially at the lower levels.

George Anderson has more experience than me so he may have more helpful advice in finding an association and what not. I'm just going from my experience.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

For a Level Playing Field

I umpired one summer while in college. It was for a local little league. I had to have dark blue pants and a light blue short-sleeve button-down shirt. The equipment was provided. I'd make sure to buy a "clicker" too. Some leagues might not have these and you do not want to keep track of the count and number of outs in your head (better safe than sorry and they are inexpensive).

Know the infield fly rule!

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    There aren't little leagues around where you live? That's the way I started. If you don't know someone involved in the league then it will require you to go to the league and start asking around for the chief umpire. Since you've never umpired you'll probably start out on t-ball games. It'll be less money than the older kids games, but it will get you experience. If you do find a league to let you umpire one way to become a favorite of the chief umpire (other than being good) is to be available as much as possible and be willing to fill in on very short notice.

As far as your gear. I'd wait to find out what you're doing before you go out and purchase equipment. If you're just doing t-ball, just get yourself a decent pair of grey pants and black shoes. Eventually you'll want your own gear though.

Once you start umpiring the most important thing that I have learned is to stay calm. Be in charge, but be calm. You're going to make bad calls, parents will yell at you, coaches will yell at you, people will lose their cool, but losing yours will not help. Especially at the lower levels.

George Anderson has more experience than me so he may have more helpful advice in finding an association and what not. I'm just going from my experience.
    This is solid advice. Everything was the same for me, except there are no umpires for t-ball around here; you start with the pitching machine. If you have a lot of baseball experience and the umpiring coordinator is impressed by you he might start you up a little higher like little league. But like everybody else, you are going to have to work your way up. You usually don't get to do the big money travel team games yet.

Some other tips:

*Punctuality. Getting to the game at least 15 minutes before it starts shows that you are prepared.

*Always have a pre-game meeting with the coaches to lay down the ground rules. This will build respect with the coaches.

*Dress proffesional. You image is almost as important as the calls you make.

*Know the league-specific rules. Little league coaches are much less likely to scream at you over the dead ball rules than they are over league-specific rules such as 10 batters per inning.

*Take your time when you make a call. Don't rush--just make sure you get it right. Knee-jerk calls are almost always incorrect, and you'll end up regretting it.

*Be loud. If you are confident of your call coaches are less likely to call you out.

*Always get in the best position for the call. Know how to position yourself so that the coaches can't criticize you for this.

*In honor of FCB: be consistent. It's what people look for in little league umpires.

As long as you always do the little things like these right the coaches will be more forgiving if you screw up a call.

Again, all of this stuff should be taught in an umpiring clinic. Hopefully, it's not too late...

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

I took umpiring classes for PE credit when I was in college. The instructor of the class hooked the class up with the local umpire's association. Learning the finer points of the rules for the exam was a blast. I even retook the softball version of the umpiring class. Once I umped a few high school JV games, I figured out quickly that I wasn't good at it and didn't enjoy it. I sold my like-new gear the next year.
    /r/reds

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    There
    This is the most important advice that has been given. NEVER act like the idiot parents or coaches act like. ALWAYS be calm and professional. If a coach comes out and is yelling at you, then calmly tell him the conversation is not going to happen until he calms down. If he doesn't calm down either confine him to the dugout or eject him. If a coach ever gets personnal then eject him right away. The most important thing for any umpire to ever remember is to never ever stoop to acting like the idiot coaches, players and fans.
    Last edited by George Anderson; 04-23-2008 at 08:43 AM.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Turn Off Ads?