Turn Off Ads?
Page 24 of 67 FirstFirst ... 1420212223242526272834 ... LastLast

Thread: Doc sez Krivsky FIRED!

Re: Doc sez Krivsky FIRED!

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    :
    Here's what Cots say of Dunn's contract:

Quote:
    If club exercised 2008 option, Dunn receives full no-trade clause until 6/15/2008 & limited no-trade clause for the remainder of 2008 (allowing Dunn specify 10 clubs to which he would accept a trade)

The thing is Dunn could pull a stunt like many players have done and list Tampa, Pittsburg, and 8 other teams that would not pick him up.

Or he could list the 1-2 teams he wants to go to, and then 8 that would not take him.

Sure, we could trade him to Tampa out of spite for nothing, but that's not productive.

But you are right, at least that leaves a little window for trading Dunn. It will still be tough though.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Bob says the decision was made because they've come to a point where "they're just not going to lose anymore."
    sigh

Bob, put the blunt instrument down. Everybody got the message a while back.

Quote Originally Posted by Strikes Out Looking View Post
    Anybody else think this has to do with ticket sales for this season?
    Not sure, but GABP has been dead empty the few games I've watched on TV and the 5 games I've attended. One of those days (forget which one) I swear you could swing a dead cat and not hit another spectator.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    sigh

Bob, put the blunt instrument down. Everybody got the message a while back.

Do you want him to say losing is ok?

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    Bob says the decision was made because they've come to a point where "they're just not going to lose anymore."
    If he reacts this way to a 9-12 start who is getting fired when this team hits a long losing streak. As bad as this start has been this team has not even hit the brutal part of the schedule yet. That comes in June.

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    I would suggest again, that he had only two offseasons - once Spring Training starts, the offseason is over - it's the new season. .
    Ok, I consider the 2 months of spring training to be the offseason, since the games don't count and moves can still be made.
    Truth is, he had time to make some moves before the season started, and he took advantage of that. If he's hired after the season starts, Arroyo is probably already dealt to another club, for example.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

CRAP!!! The press conference link won't load for me!!!!!
    redsrule2500
    Go Reds!
    “I’m a normal guy blessed with the ability to hit a baseball.” - Sean Casey

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    Not sure, but GABP has been dead empty the few games I've watched on TV and the 5 games I've attended. One of those days (forget which one) I swear you could swing a dead cat and not hit another spectator.
    My point exactly--this shakeup and Castellini saying "we aren't tolerating losing" in April might be his shot at putting a few more people in the seats.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

I want someone to ask him what his opinion on leather clothing is...
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

I guess I should weigh in on this. I've resisted most of the afternoon, but here goes.

1. I hate to see anyone lose their job, even Wayne Krivsky. I didn't like him from before he was hired. I thought he did an average job with some wins and some losses, but he always seemed to make a good decision folowed by two bad ones. I wasn't surprised at his replacement.
    2. Last night, I called the Extra Innings show and Doc mentioned the player moves. i felt he knew something was coming as he talked to me. Apparently he did.
    3. Regardless of how RedsZone felt, there were many strikes against him.

Of the 36 moves someone else listed on here, IMHO there were 17 good moves and 17 bad ones with 2 I would consider were either good and bad or all the information is not yet in on. I also counted about $10 million in DFA'd contracts, not counting what was owed Jerry Narron (which wasn't much) and there may be more.

The biggest sin that might have got him canned was the lack of improvement in the club's W-L record. It was getting worse rather than better. Add to that the rocky start and the horrible condition of the 25-man roster and the fact that despite two brilliant (to some) acquisitions to the pitching staff, there were still Belisles and Foggs (who he acquired) around. I think Cast saw a train wreck and decided to fire the engineer.

Why now? Because there no time to try to right the wrongs than now. I had a former boss that always said waiting for some event to fire someone was a waste of time and money.

Will the good young players be traded. No. jocketty wasn't an awarded GM for doing stupid things. I think this is a step toward winning. I may be wrong, but the rookie GM didn't cut it with Casty. He wasn't his man after all. Jocketty is.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by redsrule2500 View Post
    same here
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Walt says they want to "raise the revenue and hopefully increase the payroll."
    /r/reds

Some press conference quotes from Fay's blog:

Bob Castellini:

"I don't think anyone in the organization is happy with the results in a won-loss basis. We've had two losing seasons under the new ownershp. We started this season poorly ... and that's the primary reason we made the change."

"This has been a very tough decision. And Wayne Krivsky did a whale of a job in so many areas. We've just come to a point where ... we're just not going to lose any more."

Walt Jocketty:

"Bob came to me last night and asked if I was ready to do this for him. We talked about it for a while and it's been 6 months ... it was a tough decision. I talked to my wife, my kids. I knew this was tough for Bob. I know it's tough replacing Wayne. ... I'm charged up and ready to go and I think this organization is going in the right direction. I talked to Bob quite a bit a few years ago when he was contemplating buying this franchise and we talked at the time about what a great franchise this was, the history of the franchise, and how it was very similar to the situation I had in St. Louis, with a winning tradition, great fans and great community. But they hadn't won in St. Louis in a long time either. So there are a lot of similarities."

"Trust me, me and Dusty are very motivated. We're both guys with a vendetta and chip on our shoulders."

"I think one thing I talked with Dusty about today ... we need to change the culture and mindset to have everyone believe we can win. ... You have to surround yourself with positive people. We'll evaluate that in the coming weeks and months."

"It's a great ownership group. That's the main reason I came here in the first place. ... I know how dedicated they are in making this a first-class organization and a winning franchise."

"Both Dusty and I hate losing. We're not going to stand for it."

Quote Originally Posted by redsrule2500 View Post
    Same here.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

About retaining current FO staff, Walt says he plans to "trust these people and give them an opportunity." "Everyone will have a very fair opportunity."
    /r/reds

Turn Off Ads?