Turn Off Ads?
Page 15 of 67 FirstFirst ... 51112131415161718192565 ... LastLast

Thread: Doc sez Krivsky FIRED!

Re: Doc sez Krivsky FIRED!

A Bray and Roenicke infusion in the pen could do wonders over the course of the season.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    A Bray and Roenicke infusion in the pen could do wonders over the course of the season.
    Yep. I was just thinking that myself.

Here, here. I'd also like to get a blast of Daryl Thompson at #5.
    "Don't trust any statistics you did not fake yourself."--Winston Churchill

Now I guess we just wait and see what the moves are today...
    In those things which we commit to practice we can master, and with mastery we have the freedom to use these skills whenever we desire, without this practice we are slaves to our inability.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    I had forgotten about Lincoln.

Like I said, I'm as harsh a critic as anyone, but this firing seems premature.
    I still can't get over the redundancies on the roster. WK had the entire off season to do something about the catching issue, Hopper/Freel and Hatty/Votto and yet he did nothing. This team now has 4 CFs on the roster and yet not one of them is the quality of player you want to give the everyday job to.

Like most here, I'm of mixed emotions about this. I really think Wayne's personality, the team's start and the eating of a number of contracts (with more possibly on the way) had something to do with this.

I also think when we find out the answers to 1.) who goes away for Ross to come up and; 2.) who will be the fifth starter in a few days, we'll know more about why Wayne was now fired.

I also think in some ways Wayne was hampered by the failures of Griffey and Dunn to really start off the season strong. If one of those two had been on a tear in early April, the Reds could've won 3-4 more games and be 12-9, which would have made it tough to fire WK. Unfortunately that didn't happen.

And I don't agree that possibly losing both Dunn and Griffey next year will make the Reds a non-contender. While the Reds will have to make up their offense, I think the team will be better defensively with at least one of them gone--and if they can find a RH hitter to replace one, will also work on that lefty stigma the Reds seem to have.

Worth The Wait

Many people are of mixed emotions right now.

I am of no emotions.

I've just hit the point where we've been so bad for so long, that I really don't have much an opinion at this point.

WK did some good things, he did some bad things, and we're really not much better than when he arrived.

Now, did he get us headed in the right philisophical direction? That is going to take some time to find out-- and from that standpoint, I'm not thrilled about his firing---timing is off.

On the other hand, here we are again with roster holes almost everywhere, so I'm certainly not going to be outraged that our GM got the boot.

Like everything else with the Reds right now, I'll just cross my fingers and hope for the best.

The one major thing I didn't like about Wayne, was he didn't seem to care much about offense. I really didn't like the direction this offense was going in under his direction, which was into a judy hitting offense like they had in Minnesota. Walt Jocketty tried to pull of a trade for Matt Kemp last year, I wonder if he'll revisit that now?

I called it. http://www.redszone.com/forums/showp...38&postcount=5

FCB, I thought you said there was no way Krivsky was getting fired this season???

Sorry to see it but utterly unsurprised. This was the plan since the day Walt Jocketty was brought into the organization. The only thing that would have saved Wayne's job was a fantastic start, which we obviously have not managed. I'd give him at least a B on his overall record and I think the need for continuity should have outweighed every other factor. O'Brien also did a much better job than has been recognized. Together, O'B and Kriv, have done much to put the organization on a better footing. The fact it's taken so long is a measure of how bad the organization was when Bowden left. I'm sorry for Wayne and I suspect in a year even Cast will wish he had not done this. I suspect what did finally break Wayne's back was his having to go to Cast again over Castro and admit to having paid out a million bucks or so for a player who's no better than a half dozen options in the minor leagues. Krivsky has done this over and over, and it's got to be taken into account when evaluating his overall performance--i.e. there is a lot of salary money being paid out now for absolutely no return.

I'm fine with, why wait until mid-summer whrn the Reds are out of it to make the change that was coming anyway. Castellini had the excuse now so he went ahead and pulled the trigger while the Reds still have a chance at the Central with the right moves.

One possible scenario: WK was going to ink Mike Piazza to a two year multi-milliion dollar contract and BCast blew a fuse.

Quote Originally Posted by Guacarock View Post
    Hope we don't follow the Cardinals' path of picking up every drunk, druggie and low-life player out there.
    Josh Hamilton?

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

Definitely a stunner.

Say what you want about liking or hating Krivsky, it does not bode well for the Reds to now been on essentially their 6th GM in five years.

I still can't get over the redundancies on the roster. WK had the entire off season to do something about the catching issue, Hopper/Freel and Hatty/Votto and yet he did nothing. This team now has 4 CFs on the roster and yet not one of them is the quality of player you want to give the everyday job to.
    That's a valid point, but I really think what got WK fired was a strained quad.

I firmly believe had Bruce been healthy and won the job in ST, WK still has a job. I have no problem with Hatte/Votto if Votto is the starter. He is. The three catchers wasn't a big deal since Ross got hurt. Now that he's healthy, Valentin should be gone. I'm ok with Patterson as the 4th OF if Bruce is the starter.

Thing is this firing fixes none of that. Valentin was likely gone today regardless. Bruce is doing fine in AAA, but at this point I don't see him getting the call unless the Reds option Hopper. The rotation isn't going to be better if Bailey is rushed again. The pen, for the most part is fine.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Turn Off Ads?