Turn Off Ads?
Page 21 of 67 FirstFirst ... 1117181920212223242531 ... LastLast

Thread: Doc sez Krivsky FIRED!

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Re: Doc sez Krivsky FIRED!

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    nothing says "RedsZone" like a good kick in the soft parts while someone is on the ground.
    That's what we're best at.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Does anyone have the pre-Krivsky payroll versus Now???

Effective use of money is a major factor in this, in my opinion.
    redsrule2500
    Go Reds!
    “I’m a normal guy blessed with the ability to hit a baseball.” - Sean Casey

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Merry-go-round front offices don't work either. Let's hope they get it right this time, because it's been awhile.
    That is true. Let's hope Jocketty is finally the guy Bob has been waiting for.

As Doc said with Willie, the merry-go-round front offices are signs of a losing organization
    Last edited by Matt700wlw; 04-23-2008 at 02:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Merry-go-round front offices don't work either. Let's hope they get it right this time, because it's been awhile.
    Unless there is an unprecedented saber uprising in Cincy's FO, it's not very likely Jocketty will be pushed out Cincy like he was in St Louis.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

WOW...I am not excited about this firing at all. I rally like Special K and wish him the very best.

I am so thankful as a Reds fan of what HE has put in place...His ability to identify and trade for undervalued MLB ready players is his major strength.

With Jocketty in place as GM I guess Mr. C is going to be spending more cash on veteran players and trading some of our prospects.

I honestly am surprised by this at this point in the year though I was ready for this boot to drop when Dr. J was hired this past winter.
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

I'm sure Krivsky will land on his feet, maybe not as a GM, but in baseball

You can see the press conference on the Reds website at 4 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    Krivsky got an opportunity to show BC he could do it w/o the big contracts. And if he had more time I feel he would have eventually got there. Problem is when you have BC as an owner time is not on your side. Especially when you are not making any friends in the meantime. WJ might be the answer for this period in time, I hope so.
    That's the whole problem IMO. He did "do it" with big contracts. He had a big contract he inherited (Griffey) plus he added Arroyo, Harang, Phillips, Cordero and Dunn. I think BC expected WK to run the Reds like the Minn Twins.

Any GM will make a few expensive boo boos but I think WK's were excessive. Without argument he overpaid for Cormier, Stanton, Castro, Stanton, Patterson, Freel, David Ross, and there were others who are debatable. Was Jason LaRue his doing or was that OB?

He also jettisoned fairly cheap talent that we could have used like Cody Ross, Brendan Harris and Jorge Cantu. We could probably also add Chris Denorfia to that list.

Overall WK didn't give BC what he was looking for so he's gone...

If KrivDawg was fired this early into the season it shows how bad the work environment had gotten inside the Reds FO. I don't think Jocketty went looking for Krivsky's job, rather he reluctantly signed on after Cast convinced him too. I would imagine Jocketty will stay around for 3 or 4 years while grooming a replacement.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    Should we dig up your quotes from past threads where you said when Krivsky is no longer the GM it will be a good thing?
    Yeah go ahead because you'll have a very hard time finding them considering I haven't said that.

More from Daugherty:

Wayne Krivsky, Part 2

Wayne Krivsky was fired because ownership tired of writing checks to players who no longer played or who were paid too much for what they contribute now. See: Freel, Patterson, Coffey. Maybe more, though, he was fired because his people skills lacked. Wayne was a very territorial GM, who didnt always play well with others. That trait cost the Reds some good people, not the least of whom was Johnny Almaraz, the scout who found Johnny Cueto, among many, many others.

It must also be said that Wayne made some very good moves here... Brandon Phillips, Josh Hamilton, Arroyo for Wily Mo, Keppinger for a Class A pitcher, David Ross, Hatteberg, Burton in Rule 5 etc...

The danger with this coming when it did is (1) when you fire a GM, it's not like firing a manager... you essentially fire his support people as well...scouts, advisors etc... Front office continuity is a trait of successful clubs. See: Atlanta, Minnesota. The Reds front office is a carousel. That needs to stop.

Also, the draft is less than 2 months away... what do wayne's people do? Do they stay on? Are they let go? If they stay, how enthusiastic will they be, knowing they'll likely be out of work at the end of the year?

I got along well with Wayne, though he was as close to the vest, borderline paranoid a guy as I've dealt with. Sometimes, his silence was very effective: The Reds got F. Cordero before the Brewers even knew Cincinnati was interested. But it could also be off-putting.

I wish Wayne the best. I think he's a good baseball guy. Maybe scouting better suits his temperament.

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Unless there is an unprecedented saber uprising in Cincy's FO, it's not very likely Jocketty will be pushed out Cincy like he was in St Louis.
    Exactly. Jocketty and Krivksy are cut from the same philosophical cloth. They may differ in execution, but I don't think we're going to see a philosophical sea change here.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by redsrule2500 View Post
    Ugh of course this would all happen the day before my huge Differential Equations midterm. Now I'm just reading Reds crap all day....Thanks Bob
    You'll thank him for that some day.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Jocketty replaces Krivsky as Reds' GM
    Longtime Cardinals executive moves up from advisor role
    By Mark Sheldon / MLB.com

CINCINNATI -- When former Cardinals general manager Walt Jocketty -- a friend of Reds owner Bob Castellini -- was brought into Cincinnati's front office this past winter, many perceived it as a clear sign that Reds GM Wayne Krivsky's job was in jeopardy.

Few expected a change would happen this soon. But Castellini ran out of patience and Krivsky ran out of time.

The Reds announced on Wednesday that Krivsky was out as GM and that Jocketty will take over as president of baseball operations and general manager.

Jocketty and Castellini are scheduled to hold a 4 p.m. ET press conference at Great American Ball Park.

"We had a lousy season last year and we're starting this season not very well," Castellini told MLB.com by phone. "We felt it was time for a change."

Krivsky was Castellini and the new ownership regime's first significant hire when he replaced Dan O'Brien on Feb. 8, 2006. Krivsky previously served as an assistant GM with the Twins for 11 years. He was in the last season of a three-year contract with Cincinnati.

The Reds went 80-82 in Krivsky's first season but slipped to 72-90 in 2007. This season, Cincinnati has a 9-12 record.

Castellini informed Krivsky of his decision on Wednesday morning.

"He gave us 110 percent," Castellini said. "He is an outstanding baseball man and it's difficult to lose somebody like him."

Krivsky drew praise quickly when he made shrewd acquisitions that brought in Brandon Phillips, Scott Hatteberg, Bronson Arroyo, David Ross and Josh Hamilton. But other efforts to turn the team into a quick contender backfired.

The most notorious trade occurred on July 13, 2006, when the Reds sent Austin Kearns and Felipe Lopez to the Nationals in an eight-player deal that brought back Gary Majewski, Bill Bray, Royce Clayton, Brendan Harris and Daryl Thompson.

It was disclosed shortly after the trade that Majewski arrived with an injured shoulder, and he never fulfilled expectations. He and Bray are currently with Triple-A Louisville while Clayton and Harris are out of the organization. Thompson, with Double-A Chattanooga, is considered a rising prospect.

The signing of free agent reliever Mike Stanton to a two-year contract last year also didn't pan out. Stanton was released before this season opened and will be paid $3.5 million this year. Reliever Rheal Cormier ($2.5 million) was released early last season and infielder Juan Castro ($1.075 million) was designated for assignment on Monday.

Castellini said it wasn't absorbing contracts that got Krivsky dismissed.

"Frankly, I blame it on my own impatience," Castellini said. "I wouldn't say that it was a particular thing. We're not going to bat 1.000 [on acquisitions]. The results were not there."

Castellini said Jocketty was signed through the 2011 season.

Jocketty spent the previous 13 seasons as the Cardinals GM. They went to the postseason seven times and won the 2006 World Series during that time. Jocketty was named Major League Baseball's executive of the year by The Sporting News in 2000 and 2004 and by Baseball America in 2000.

In October, Jocketty and St. Louis mutually decided to part ways after a tumultuous 78-win season. He maintained a personal friendship with Castellini, who used to be a minority shareholder of the Cardinals.

On January 11, Jocketty was hired to be a special advisor who reported directly to Castellini. Although he made overtures that he wasn't interested in being a GM again right away, that's just what ended up happening on Wednesday.

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/...=.jsp&c_id=cin

Quote Originally Posted by remdog View Post
    I'm guessing that Dunn gets signed to an extention. I don't worry too much about the Reds trading Bruce because they'll need another OF next year. However, with Volquez and Cueto emerging I could see Bailey being moved and, for the right player, I wouldn't have a problem with that. One of the reasons for having a strong farm system is to produce players that you can trade in order to get solid players to fill the holes you have at the major league level.

Rem

I see it that way too but one thing does trouble me. Let's say the Reds trade Bailey to the Dodgers for Matt Kemp. Aren't they just reversing what they did by trading Hamilton to Texas?

Turn Off Ads?