Turn Off Ads?
Page 44 of 67 FirstFirst ... 3440414243444546474854 ... LastLast

Thread: Doc sez Krivsky FIRED!

Re: Doc sez Krivsky FIRED!

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    IIRC Cordero's people didn't let the Brewers know who was offering that. The Brewers were a bit skeptical of this "mystery" team and refused to get into a bidding war.

Ok, that's fine, but it's not as if Wayne did some super stealth move.
    If I remember, the Reds topped the Brewers' offer by a couple million.
    The Brewers had already given their best offer to Cordero.

My point is that there was no skill involved in signing Cordero. Milwaukee had made a take-it-or-leave-it offer. Milwaukee may have been surprised the Reds signed him, since the Reds traditionally do not sign Class A free agents, but that doesn't mean Wayne displayed any extraordinary skills. Wayne was the guy in the auction holding up his hand, determined to buy the thing up for auction, regardless of how high the price went. How is that a skill? Any GM could've signed Cordero, it was all about money.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    True I think it would be silly of us to think the Brewers didn't know until after everything was a done deal. However I think Wayne keeping things hush had to have helped some.

I doubt it helped at all. Milwaukee wasn't going to budge on their final offer, regardless of whether Cordero was going to a division opponent or not.

Time will tell on whether that was a wise decision for them (and the Reds) or not.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

High five!

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    At this point, I'd prefer AN approach. I'm not sure this FO really has one. End the losing is pretty ambiguous as visions go when it comes to implementation.

Anyway, the point is that it's a little scary to wonder if there is really a plan here. Have we all assumed too much (or to put it another way, does ownership have a clue)?
    Actually, I think the owner and management need to have the _same_ plan. I don't think that was the case with BC and WK.

It might now be the case with BC and WJ.

I am frankly stunned at how much love that Bray gets around here when he's done nothing at the MLB level.

Some more good ones from the past.

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showt...ght=Castellini

Just talked to Bob Castellini, will get you the quotes when I transcribe the tape. The basic idea of the statements were that Wayne's job was safe and that Wayne has a plan and Bob thinks it's a good one. He would not comment on Adam Dunn's option, but he did have positive words for Dunn's performance.

Bob Castellini had an impromptu session with beat writers this afternoon. He was asked point blank if GM Wayne Krivsky's job was in trouble.

"No," he said. "He's done a good job."

Other tidbits:

On Krivsky: “Wayne’s a plugger. He keeps at it – a lot of determination.”

On a plan: “I think Wayne is taking a studied approach to it. We’re’ on the same page.

Is he pleased with the job interim manager Pete Mackanin has done? “All of us are. He has a nice way about him. He communicates well with the players.”

On naming a permanent manager: “We’ll take a look at it after the season. Pete’s doing a good job. There’s no sense talking about it now."

Here's the Bob Castellini stuff:

On Wayne Krivsky: "Wayne’s a plugger. He’s a plugger. He just keeps after it. A lot of determination."

"I think Wayne is taking a studied approach to everything,” Castellini said. “We’re on the same page.”

Is Krivsky's job in jeopardy? “No.”

"He’s done a good job overall,” Castellini said. “He’s trying really hard, we’re all trying hard.”

On Dunn's option: “I’m not going to talk about it,” Castellini said. “Adam’s playing good baseball. Did you see him last night? I congratulated him, he did that 100-yard dash around the bases. He’s getting key hits, he won the game for us the other night. He’s a talented ballplayer.”

Watch out Adam you are next…….if the Castellini pattern continues.

On Pete Mackanin: "All of us have (been impressed), he’s got a nice way about him. He communicates well with the players."

"Pete’s doing a good job, there’s no sense talking about it right now."

On the team: "If you hang around these guys, you can feel the optimism."

"The players haven’t given up, they’re not playing for individual stats, they’re playing like a team."

June 24, 2007

Thread on the possibility of Jocketty coming to Cincy

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showt...ght=Castellini

Krono calls it - “I could see this happening”

FCB misses it - “You'd pooh-pooh Jocketty?

Boy oh boy.

It won't happen though.”

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    The more I think about this, one event sticks out as one of the nails in the coffin of Wayne Krivsky and may give us insight into the man's communication skills that someone mentioned.

I hae no ideas where I read this, but apparently somewhere Dusty mentioned that he had no idea Wayne was acquiring Josh Fogg. The disaster that Fogg became probably hacked off Dusty and he began to lobby for Wayne's dismissal. Also consider the little problems with Bucky Dent and Johnny Alvarez.

Just a theory. If a guy is looking to fire someone, he didn't need amunition from the manager and other cronies.
    I also have the feeling that Wayne was ready to keep Stanton on the roster all year in an attempt to save face. Dusty had to resort to lobbying in the press to get rid of Stanton.

When Wayne made a bad move, it took him way too long to cut bait.

Ironically, even though Wayne is viewed as a long term thinker, I think his impulsiveness was a big weakness.. He paniced when he picked up Cormier, Stanton, Maj, etc. Many decisions were clearly not thought through.. He obviously just assumed the offense would take care of itself, and never seemed to attempt to replace the offense he traded away.

Quote Originally Posted by princeton View Post
    my suspicion has always been that Cast meddled from day 1. Krivsky was brilliant at times, but also made some "now" moves that reeked of pressure from a win-now owner tempered by a GM that wanted to build the infrastructure. Cast was the Whirlpool, and Wayne was the Big Rock. It made for some turbulent navigation.

Didn't like some of the major league relievers that were traded for or signed? Didn't like how quickly a certain wunder-arm was called up? That's not going to change, IMO, because THAT instigator hasn't fired himelf. He gave Krivsky only a 2 year deal, which was goofy, praised a 2006 team that really had no chance, and cut on a 2008 team that's really quite interesting. That guy is staying.

I'm confident that Cast is a guy who would have fired any really good GM that didn't win quickly, from Billy Beane to Mark Shapiro to Branch Freaking Rickey. Joy.

What we've lost is the one that fixed farm, development, rotation, and middle infield in very, VERY short order. I would have given Krivsky more influence, but instead Cast has been increasing his own role since the end of 2006.

A Bruce/Bedard deal probably would have saved his job. THAT'S how goofy things are in Cincinnati.

to me, Krivsky was the right GM for Cincinnati, just not the right GM for Cincinnati's owner.

I know Jocketty very well. Unlike Wayne, he has no skill with the minors. Finding and developing young arms? it's problematic. Like Wayne, he seems to have some people problems, and like Wayne is good at finding undervalued major league talent. however, his Cardinal teams underachieved their talent level for years-- just couldn't win the big one. for years, I started numerous threads on how Cards had the talent again, but would have to fall short because they still lacked heart. Then, Jocketty finally made the big heart acquisition: David Eckstein (a signing that I believe was trashed by all but one poster, moi, who said that at LAST the Cards would win a World Series under Jocketty). oh yes, I know Jocketty well.

So I predict an increase in talent, a pretty good record for a small market, but underachievement and an eventual decay of the farm system that seemed to be getting things together.

he's probably the right GM for this owner. He should last longer. But, you never know.

Outstanding post.

I just heard Krivsky's interview from last night on XM. He was completely blindsided, no clue at all when he came to work that anything was going on.

And you sure could hear it in his voice. He was devestated. He didn't say anything derogatory at all towards the Reds, gracious and thankful for his opportunity.

I'm convinced that Krivsky's days were numbered the minute Jocketty became available. Castellini wanted him and he got him.

So, now we've got Bob Castbrenner running the ship. Careful, though, you might get tossed overboard if he has a bad day.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    Listening to the presser, it was clear that this move was initiated by Castellini's impatience and not by some negative evaluation from Jocketty. Jocketty only learned it was coming on Tuesday night when he got a phone call from Castellini offering him the job.
    Castellini said that Jocketty was an adviser. I got the impresson that Castellini highly valued Jocketty's input.

Jocketty gave high marks to Krivsky. I was wondering why Castellini disregarded Jocketty's remark and high grade of Krivsky.

There was one thing Krivsky wanted to set straight, and that was about reliever Rheal Cormier. Cormier was designated for assignment early last season after a poor start, and was reportedly owed about $2.25 million.

“Just so you all know, there was a whole bunch of money in one transaction that paid for Rheal Cormier’s contract,” Krivsky said.

“I guess I can come forward with that right now. There was $2.08 million in one transaction that paid for his contract specifically, so if you can wipe that one off my ledger, I’d appreciate that,” Krivsky said.
    Wayne, you had a classy speech until that point. No matter how you spin it, it was a horrible move to trade for the guy and then another horrible move to extend him. If you got 2 million in another trade or sent with Cormier, that doesn't matter. Quit trying to make excuses on your way out and take it like a man. Cormier is going to remain on your ledger.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    If part of the reason for Wayne's sacking was the bad contracts, Walt may be a little shy to sign anyone to a big money deal, not to mention a mega-huge deal like Dunn.
    I think Cast will continue to spend money, he'll just tolerate fewer mistakes.
    He's probably going to have to eat some money to clean up the mess Wayne has made. The club is probably going to want to keep Hopper, so someone must be traded or eaten in the next 2 weeks.

The reason I think Cast will continue to spend money is that he just signed Cordero to a big deal, despite the fact that Wayne was clinging precariously to his job at the teim.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SpringfieldFan View Post
    Castellini said that Jocketty was an adviser. I got the impresson that Castellini highly valued Jocketty's input.

Jocketty gave high marks to Krivsky. I was wondering why Castellini disregarded Jocketty's remark and high grade of Krivsky.
    I took what Castellini said at face value. He ran out of patience and blamed Krivsky for the team not winning. He also mentioned that eating contracts was a factor. If Jocketty's review of Krivsky's performance was positive, it was overshadowed in Castellini's mind by W/L and expensive DFAs.
    /r/reds

a signing that I believe was trashed by all but one poster, moi, who said that at LAST the Cards would win a World Series under Jocketty
    There is a gap between what you believe and what occurred on that matter. I know for a fact that I liked and praised the move and I remember others doing so as well (though it was a minority who did).

I agree with you about Krivsky having added a lot in his short time with the franchise. He's going to look very Bergesch in the rear view I suspect. Also, with Volquez-for-Hamilton he might have made Murray Cook's Rijo trade on top of laying the foundation for future success (though Rijo's an awfully high standard to meet).

Jocketty should know from experience that improvement is rarely linear. The Cardinals surged in '96 and '98 only to fall back in '97 and '99. The two things he's got going for him are a sterling reputation and the adoration of the owner. That might enable him to absorb the sort of 1989ish clunker that got Cook fired and hang around long enough to pull a Bob Quinn.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    I took what Castellini said at face value. He ran out of patience and blamed Krivsky for the team not winning. He also mentioned that eating contracts was a factor. If Jocketty's review was positive, it was overshadowed in Castellini's mind by W/L and expensive DFAs.
    I understand your postion and perception.

I took Castellini at his word and at face value all along.

I find in review of his various comments over time that I can no longer do that.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    There is a gap between what you believe and what occurred on that matter. I know for a fact that I liked and praised the move and I remember others doing so as well (though it was a minority who did).

I agree with you about Krivsky having added a lot in his short time with the franchise. He's going to look very Bergesch in the rear view I suspect. Also, with Volquez-for-Hamilton he might have made Murray Cook's Rijo trade on top of laying the foundation for future success (though Rijo's an awfully high standard to meet).

Jocketty should know from experience that improvement is rarely linear. The Cardinals surged in '96 and '98 only to fall back in '97 and '99. The two things he's got going for him are a sterling reputation and the adoration of the owner. That might enable him to absorb the sort of 1989ish clunker that got Cook fired and hang around long enough to pull a Bob Quinn.
    anything to draw you out. Nice post

anything to draw you out. Nice post
    I'm hardly the shy and retiring type. I've just been busy of late.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Turn Off Ads?