Turn Off Ads?
Page 62 of 67 FirstFirst ... 1252585960616263646566 ... LastLast

Thread: Doc sez Krivsky FIRED!

Re: Doc sez Krivsky FIRED!

Quote Originally Posted by princeton View Post
    Here's your problem: you don't know a whole lot. That's OK, but you don't admit that you don't know a whole lot.

Wayne ran Almaraz (whose value you know because I told it to you) off, but nobody else of value that I'm aware of. Brian Wilson died-- I don't think that you pin that one on WK, do you? Larry Barton Jr left, but Larry Barton Jr was probably as responsible for scores of poor drafts as anyone, being the California supervisor during a very long period of zero Reds productivity in the strongest part of the US market.

Whenever you go into specifics, you come off as mentally challenged. You have two single effective arguments, and I'll restate them for you: 1. some of WayneK's moves backfired and 2. the Reds lost 90 games last year. These aren't good arguments, as I'll show, but your other arguments are simply laughable and it's not worth the time.

first, about moves that backfired: if you use that as a yardstick, then you will tend to admire all GMs that do nothing, because nothing backfires. Joe McIlvaine was well-known that way; DanO was another good example. But because these guys don't make positive moves, either, the team doesn't improve. So the real yardstick is to add up the positives, subtract the negatives, and figure out how positive the total number of moves have been. WayneK, as a very aggressive GM working to improve pitching (which is the hardest thing to accumulate without having moves backfire) had an overwhelmingly positive record. He conjured top major league players out of waiver claims, DFAs, Rule 5's, and aggressive trades. It was a talent that he had over all other GMs in the game, and one that would have been terrific to have in Cincy for a long time.

Now, the problem with the "90 games were lost" argument is that most great GMs have lost big during the first 3 years of a rebuilding job. And you need a great GM in Cincy. So you really need a better argument. being a nice guy, I'll try to point you in the right direction here Ideally, what you'd like to be able to do is to look at what those great GMs accomplished during their first three years, as opposed to what poor GMs accomplished over their first three years. What are those differences, and did Krivsky's rebuilding job look more like that of a great GM or like that of a poor one? I'm confident that it's the former, because man, I've SEEN some bad GMs.

Have a look at the first three years of guys like Branch Rickey, Billy Beane, Mark Shapiro, etc. Compare them to the Dan O'Briens and others. stop all other arguments. Focus your efforts into something productive and interesting. Maybe you'll teach us something.
    A harsh response, but spot on in the analysis of Krivsky.

I'll say this, I lambasted Krivsky on a lot of things, especially in 2006. The man made blunder after blunder following three great moves. now looking at this in the macro, i see what he was trying to do. Nearly every move he made after Arroyo,Phillips, Ross was for pitching. a lot didn't work out. A whole lot. But the man knew what he had in the pipeline (Bailey, Cueto) and he knew that wasn't enough. He knew he had to change the culture from rookie ball up. Not drafting Lincecum was IMO a mistake, but Stubbs is starting to get real interesting. Not Jay Bruce interesting, but more like Reggie Willits interesting, and that's a good thing.

He was daring in that he'd take major risks with the 25 man roster. In 2 years he added a starting 2B, starting CF and a dominant setup man to the 25 man roster via waiver claim and Rule 5 draft. That's ballsy. He then flipped the feel good freaking story of the year for a SP that has come out dominating so far and actually seems to be getting better. And then there is Keppinger. Complete steal.

And the offensive talent is on the rise too. Bruce's ETA should be mid-May. He'll be in CF, but is likely KGJ's replacement. Dorn and Stubbs are getting closer as well. Valaika, Rosales, Francisco, and a couple of STUDS at Dayton. It isn't that the Reds are poised to compete this year, it's that the organization is poised to compete for a long time.

Unlike others, I won't dismiss Dano and Jimbo's contributions. They are there. DanO lucked into some talent rich drafts. He also is a contributer to reducing the workload on the SP's in the minor leagues. Bowden is responsible for 4 of the starting 8, plus a pitcher or two.

But Krivsky gets marks for bringing a more professional approach to the organization as a whole. My hope is Jocketty saw the value in what Krivsky accomplished and continues to build on it. My fear is he trades Cueto/Bailey for a Mulder or Zito type, without realizing their value because he needs to win now.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS21 View Post
    It all boils down to the "old school" vs. "new school" argument. The ownership in St. Louis bought into the new school of thinking.
    I have friends who live in St. Louis who know the situation fairly well--the St. Louis organization was also unable to sustain its spending ways, so when the "new school" guys promised a winner on a budget, they were "smitten." It really was pretty simple. They wanted to scale back spending.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I'm confused. Did you mean Wayne had a rep of poor communication skills?

Nope. Maybe it was just a recent thing because those SABR kids wouldn't get off his lawn and otherwise he's a regular hail-fellow-well-met but what happens if Bob hires some wunderkind who dazzles Bob with numbers? Is Walt going to throw a hissy fit and retire or is he going to be able to work with this guy? Is Walt open to new ways of looking at things or is he going to be stodgy old-school and justify it by telling people that his way worked in StL so it should work in Cincinnati?
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    One quick-mover from a draft?

I'll give Wayne credit for improving the development system, but I have been deeply unimpressed with his drafts. In two years, it's Frazier and some marginal bullpen arms.
    You said "total bust," so, yeah, Frazier alone punts that out the window.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Nope. Maybe it was just a recent thing because those SABR kids wouldn't get off his lawn and otherwise he's a regular hail-fellow-well-met but what happens if Bob hires some wunderkind who dazzles Bob with numbers? Is Walt going to throw a hissy fit and retire or is he going to be able to work with this guy? Is Walt open to new ways of looking at things or is he going to be stodgy old-school and justify it by telling people that his way worked in StL so it should work in Cincinnati?
    You guys are acting like a bunch of girls who got stood up for prom.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    You said "total bust," so, yeah, Frazier alone punts that out the window.
    You're right. "Lemon with hood ornament."

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    You guys are acting like a bunch of girls who got stood up for prom.

So we should just take it on blind faith that because Walt won a world championship in StL he can do the same here?
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

So we should just take it on blind faith that because Walt won a world championship in StL he can do the same here?
    IMO his record speaks for itself. That's not blind faith at all by my definition.
    Benzinger backing and calling! And the 1990 world championship series belongs to the Cincinnati Reds!

The hire doesn't inspire a lot of confidence IMHO....
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by Tommyjohn25 View Post
    IMO his record speaks for itself. That's not blind faith at all by my definition.
    Thank you. I know what side of the bread folks are buttering with blind faith.

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    The hire doesn't inspire a lot of confidence IMHO....
    I have my doubts, too. I really do. But Cast isn't going to hire a numbers guy. So then you're left with Wayne vs. well, all the old school GM/GM candidates out there. Of that second subset, Jocketty's still probably the best.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS21 View Post
    It all boils down to the "old school" vs. "new school" argument. The ownership in St. Louis bought into the new school of thinking.
    Are you trying to start a war on Redszone???
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Tommyjohn25 View Post

Just because he had success in StL doesn't mean he will here. Just like MIN had success while Wayne was there didn't mean it would translate into success when he came here and it didn't.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Just because he had success in StL doesn't mean he will here. Just like MIN had success while Wayne was there didn't mean it would translate into success when he came here and it didn't.
    The MIN method is the 10 year plan. No thanks--we were only in year three.

I understand what you're saying. But Wayne wasn't the GM in Minnesota. Jocketty was in charge, for a long time, and his track record speaks for itself IMO. Nothing is ever a sure thing in baseball, but having the gaudy resume that Jocketty has built makes it a safer bet, I think.
    Benzinger backing and calling! And the 1990 world championship series belongs to the Cincinnati Reds!

Turn Off Ads?