Turn Off Ads?
Page 8 of 67 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121858 ... LastLast

Thread: Doc sez Krivsky FIRED!

Re: Doc sez Krivsky FIRED!

Quote Originally Posted by princeton View Post
    Jocketty's a terrific GM and this is a good situation for a guy like him, especially if the development and scouting people don't take off in protest.

but Krivsky did a fine job. He was an obvious talent.
    If the reason for the firing is really WK was hard on people, I wouldn't expect this to happen at all. If Jocketty is weak on development, he most likely knows it and is bound to want to keep as many good people (or at least people that know the system) around as he can. At least in the short term.
    I'm just like everybody else. I have two arms, two legs and 4,000 hits."

-Pete Rose

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by princeton View Post
    Jocketty's a terrific GM and this is a good situation for a guy like him, especially if the development and scouting people don't take off in protest.

but Krivsky did a fine job. He was an obvious talent.
    Agreed.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    I'm not very pleased with this. You can say goodbye to our strong farm system. After all these years of having nothing in the farm, Wayne was able to build it up into a top notch system. Damn.

I think this is an overreaction.

Bruce, Cueto, Bailey, and Votto - arguably the reason the Reds have jumped in most organizational rankings were here before Krivsky. Saying he's responsible for the surge in the organization's jump (in two years) is just as flawed as calling his draft's failures after two years. Neither is able to be determined at this time.

The farm system is bound to take a hit by next year anyway, simply due to those four making the jump in 2008.

What we know about WK. Bad contracts. Roster mismanagement. Little skillls dealing with the media. Lack of communication with himself and the manager. Juan Castro. Rheal Cormier. Mike Stanton. Freel contract. Alex Gonzalez (decent signing, but not working out-bad luck). Millions spent on aging free agents.

The good: Picking up diamonds off the scrap heap (Hamilton, Phillips, and Keppinger) and trading Wily Mo for Arroyo. "The Trade" still may end up being considered a success someday if Thompson turns out and Bray gets back to pre-trade form. Harang contract and Dunn extension. Too soon to tell on Arroyo contract and Cordero acquisition.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

I'm definitely of mixed emotions here.

I've posted before that it's difficult to overestimate the difficulty of the task Krivsky took on. When he was hired, we had one organizational strength -- major-league hitting. Everything else was crap, top to bottom. I don't think it's reasonable for an owner to expect that pile of junk to be turned into the best team in the NL Central by now, not unless he's going to match the Cubs dollar for dollar. Krivsky's done a lot of good things and the talent base is orders of magnitude better. At the same time, he had some weaknesses and it was legitimate to ask if he had the skills to turn that talent into a cohesive pennant contender.

Or, to put it another way: I don't think Jocketty would have done as well as Krivsky at rebuilding the mess we had in February 2006; but now that the talent base is once again viable, it is entirely possible Jocketty will do a better job from this point forward than Krivsky would have.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

If the same developmental people stay around then I have no problem with this.

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    all of the redundant bench players and the fact the team was considering carrying three bad catchers has been enough for me.

I don't know what will happen with when Ross is activated but there are a number of moves that need to be made.
    Agreed. I think his roster construction is poor. At times it seemed like he didn't take into account how an addition of a player may affect the organization down the line. Just like "We'll worry about it later."

The crux of the firing?

1. Castro being designated and eating his contract. Too many bad contracts
    2. Calling up Belisle and not Bailey.
    3. Fogg's ERA of 12.46.
    4. Left handed heavy lineup tied Baker's hands.
    5. Kriv yelled at the Jocketty for forgetting to make a new pot of coffee.
    Pennant or bust!

Wayne was on TV the night before last.... bet he didn't expect it.

I didn't...

Interesting take Benihana. We see this with managers all the time. You have one guy who brings you back to respectability. But you find it takes a different skill set to get that guy to really put you over the top.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed View Post
    I'm definitely of mixed emotions here.

I've posted before that it's difficult to overestimate the difficulty of the task Krivsky took on. When he was hired, we had one organizational strength -- major-league hitting. Everything else was crap, top to bottom. I don't think it's reasonable for an owner to expect that pile of junk to be turned into the best team in the NL Central by now, not unless he's going to match the Cubs dollar for dollar. Krivsky's done a lot of good things and the talent base is orders of magnitude better. At the same time, he had some weaknesses and it was legitimate to ask if he had the skills to turn that talent into a cohesive pennant contender.

Or, to put it another way: I don't think Jocketty would have done as well as Krivsky at rebuilding the mess we had in February 2006; but now that the talent base is once again viable, it is entirely possible Jocketty will do a better job from this point forward than Krivsky would have
    I think that is excellently stated.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Quote Originally Posted by Az Red View Post
    The crux of the firing?

1. Castro being designated and eating his contract. Too many bad contracts
    2. Calling up Belisle and not Bailey.
    3. Fogg's ERA of 12.46.
    4. Left handed heavy lineup tied Baker's hands.
    5. Kriv yelled at the Jocketty for forgetting to make a new pot of coffee.
    6. Kriv take up two parking spaces
    7. Kriv borrow Walt soap and not return it

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Wayne was on TV the night before last.... bet he didn't expect it.

I didn't...
    Yeah I'm pretty shocked. I figured he would be here all year at the very least. Something had to happen in the last 24 hours or so for this to happen.
    Last edited by OnBaseMachine; 04-23-2008 at 12:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Yeah I'm pretty shocked. I figured he would be hear all year at the very least. Something had to happen in the last 24 hours or so for this to happen.
    This leads me to believe that there was some personal situation, a straw-that-broke-the-camels-back, sort of moment in the last 36 hours.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

I don't like to celebrate things like this, but the team's a bit of a mess, so why not make some changes. They just signed Dusty, so it wasn't going to be him. Wayne's wasted some pretty good chump change, and BC's patience has probably worn thin already...especially with the Cards playing well and the sea of blue shirts about to invade Cincinnati in early May.

I wish Wayne well, but more importantly, I hope this gets the team back on track.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

I think some on here mentioned that something didn't feel right with the way WK came in a ran some people out (Almarez, etc.). Many of those people called him out in the press, Almarez included.

The organization needed cleansed, but he certainly seemed to ruffle some feathers with the way he dealt with people.

And now it appears this was one aspect of his undoing.

Turn Off Ads?