Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Regime change impact on the farm

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Regime change impact on the farm

OK, Krivsky's out, Jocketty's in. What does that mean for drafting and player development? Discuss.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Regime change impact on the farm

A link to St Louis first round draft picks.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/alltime/draft?team=stl

He did take JD Drew a few years back, that could make for an interesting position for the Reds when their turn comes around. I wonder how he has worked with Boras in the past. Does he go over slot?
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

I think everyone is worried about nothing. Jocketty's trades of prospects while with the Cards was spot on - very few actually panned out where they went. The farm system is becoming a pipeline and it has two purposes. First to feed a new player or two to the big club and second to provide trade fodder. Ideally you trade prospects who are looking good but either are blocked, in a position of surplus in the org, or fool's gold. WJ did pretty well with that.

I'll bet changes in the farm system will be very gradual as Jocketty strives for a seamless changeover. Plus, with a roster mess and the season underway, WJ is likely to let the farm system operate as it has - since it's the one thing that seems to be running well.

I've read all the criticism of Jocketty's draft choices and trades. Somehow, during all that bad drafting and all those bad trades, the Cards were beating the Reds to a pulp.

I think Jocketty has an understanding of the key elements of a winning 25-man roster. Perhaps right now that has to take precedence over drafting skill.

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    I think everyone is worried about nothing. Jocketty's trades of prospects while with the Cards was spot on - very few actually panned out where they went. The farm system is becoming a pipeline and it has two purposes. First to feed a new player or two to the big club and second to provide trade fodder. Ideally you trade prospects who are looking good but either are blocked, in a position of surplus in the org, or fool's gold. WJ did pretty well with that.

I'll bet changes in the farm system will be very gradual as Jocketty strives for a seamless changeover. Plus, with a roster mess and the season underway, WJ is likely to let the farm system operate as it has - since it's the one thing that seems to be running well.
    I agree, Jocketty was pretty good at separating the keepers from the pretenders. My concern is that over his tenure the Cardinals produced a subpar amount of keepers. That's less of a problem if the money's there to fill the holes that the farm system isn't filling, but that remains to be seen here in Cincinnati. Like you, I hope he leaves well enough alone with the development system.

the JD Drew and Rick Ankiel picks were very aggressive moves. It wouldn't surprise to see something interesting in the upcoming draft.

Quote Originally Posted by princeton View Post
    the JD Drew and Rick Ankiel picks were very aggressive moves. It wouldn't surprise to see something interesting in the upcoming draft.
    Maybe this will be the year the Reds take a chance on the guy holding out for the big money...one year too late
    Go BLUE!!!

I for one hope that Pedro Alvarez will fall to the Reds because he is a Boras client.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

I think you guys are missing something.... the scouting budget has already been set and over 2 million already spent on Juan Duran. The Reds aren't very likely to take someone for well over slot because a new GM is in the fold because the money just isn't there.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I think you guys are missing something.... the scouting budget has already been set and over 2 million already spent on Juan Duran. The Reds aren't very likely to take someone for well over slot because a new GM is in the fold because the money just isn't there.
    Maybe Castellini will adjust the budget, now that he's adjusted the front office. Especially for his buddy Walt, who I think will have a lot more leeway than Wayne did. It's certainly not out of the question.
    Go BLUE!!!

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Maybe Castellini will adjust the budget, now that he's adjusted the front office. Especially for his buddy Walt, who I think will have a lot more leeway than Wayne did. It's certainly not out of the question.
    I would highly doubt that. That would be like him basically saying he didn't want to win as bad with Wayne as he does with Walt.

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Maybe Castellini will adjust the budget, now that he's adjusted the front office.
    upon hiring, the new guy negotiates what he needs to make the place work. A bigger budget for scouting, a replacement of the head of amateur or major league scouting, a new guy to run the minors-- all of these things would be discussed and either accepted or rejected. Sometimes the candidate accepts the position, then discovers that the owner can't or won't give him what he really thinks is necessary to succeed, and winds up turning down the position even though they agree on most everything else. Sometimes the position is accepted but the two can't forget their disagreements, and never do get over it. But it's very rare that the new guy comes in without some changes already negotiated. It's also rare that the new guy gets to clean house even if that's what he really wants to do.

Quote Originally Posted by princeton View Post
    It's also rare that the new guy gets to clean house even if that's what he really wants to do.
    Adding onto that: Even if he had approval to clean house, odds are the guys he wants to hire are already under contract for this season.

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

Everyone gives the GM WAY too much credit for the draft strategy.

He may help make the final determination on whether to go over budget to sign a 1st rounder, but it's the Scouting Director's show from begining to end. If Buckley is still around come draft day - the Reds will be picking lots of middle IF guys and lightly used pitching arms.

Quote Originally Posted by jmcclain19 View Post
    may help make the final determination on whether to go over budget to sign a 1st rounder...
    exactly. and if I've got WJ's resume (JD Drew) plus I've got Cast between a rock and a hard place, then I'm drafting and signing whoever I darn well please regardless of their agent.

after round 1, there might be an overpriced 2nd rounder as well. Beyond that, I expect more Buckley-types: very tall pitchers.

Turn Off Ads?