Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Jocketty in.. who goes now?

Jocketty in.. who goes now?

Who do you think Jocketty is likely to trade or get rid of off the current team in the near term (let's say within a year). Doesn't necessarily have to be dead weight players, it could be someone that doesn't fit in Jocketty's plan which is traded for value.

My guesses:

Belisle
    Freel
    Valentine
    Homer
    Maj (released)

I think Patterson is extended if he has an ok year. I don't know about Dunn/Jr..
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Jocketty in.. who goes now?

My take:

Freel
    Hopper
    Valentin
    Hatteberg
    Gonzalez (once he gets healthy)
    Ross
    Majewski
    Bailey
    Maloney
    Stubbs
    Francisco

I think that Dunn will be re-signed, and we will see a host of prospects (Bailey, Maloney, Stubbs and/or Francisco) traded for a right-handed bat. Hopefully that means Matt Kemp or Wladimir Balentien, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was a more veteran player. If I were him, I'd ask the O's if they were interested in a Homer Bailey-Adam Jones swap.

I think that Jocketty will prefer Bako as his everyday catcher (as would I) because he likes defensive-minded catchers (see Mike Matheny.) He may even go acquire another defensive-minded catcher. I think Ross and Valentin are on borrowed time (and I'm not sad about that at all.)

I really hope that Jocketty doesn't move Votto or Encarnacion, although I'm worried that he might. I don't think he'll mess with Cueto, Volquez, Keppinger or Bruce, and I'd assume that Phillips and Harang are off-limits. Just about anyone else is fair game though. I also wouldn't be surprised if Walt starts plucking Cardinals a la Krivksy with ex-Twins and Bowden with ex-Reds. (Anthony Reyes anyone?) Guys obviously have a knowledge of the systems they came from.
    Last edited by Benihana; 04-23-2008 at 03:21 PM.
    Go BLUE!!!

Freel has negative trade value.

Hopper is fine as a 5th outfielder and makes close to the minimum.

WK wasted $1.8M when he exercised Javy's option. Javy can't catch & his bat is in big decline. I doubt we can get anything for him.

Hat's option was fine to pick up and trade him for value. WK didn't do this. With Votto and Hat both hitting lefty and both playing 1B Hat needs to go.
    I would think a team with a RH first baseman could use Hat off the bench.

Gonzalez is a perfectly servicable major league SS defensively and offensively.
    Also Gonzo at SS with Kep at 3B is much better defensively than Kep at SS and EE at 3B.

Ross is fine as a backup catcher. IF ( big IF ) we found a young catcher either Bako or Ross would be fine as a backup. I like Bako's hot streak but don't expect it to continue.

Majewski - just release him already.

Bailey, Maloney, Stubbs, Francisco, etc - any trades involving minor leaguers are pretty much speculation.

I personally hope Walt hits the phones and sends Jr and Dunn packing.

Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    I personally hope Walt hits the phones and sends Jr and Dunn packing.
    I think you'll see Dunn re-signed in the next couple months.
    Go BLUE!!!

Just my take but I think we see Bailey here before we see him traded. I wouldn't be suprised if the Reds tried to get Bailey on schedule to take the #5 slot within the next few starts. I also hope that Stubbs stays on for a little longer. They guy is finally starting to hit and play at a high level. He may be older but I would assume that Jocketty will move him along faster to see if he can handle the jump.

I would assume that Jocketty has already evaluated the talent on the major league level. I would think that he needs to better evaluate the talent on the minor league level until he makes a deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    Gonzalez is a perfectly servicable major league SS defensively but not offensively.
    fixed

with the Reds having a FB high-K pitching staff there is no compelling reason to move Keppinger off of SS.

seeing as Dunn/Jr can effectively block any trade I doubt either will be moved, certainly not anytime soon.
    Last edited by flyer85; 04-23-2008 at 03:38 PM.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Cruisin' for trouble

If the Reds re-sign Dunn, then Votto has to go. I love what the guy is capable of, but the fact is that Dunn is better suited to play 1B, not OF. The goal has to be to put the players in their best positions and they aren't even close now.

Griffey will not be re-signed and the Reds will look for a quality RH bat (preferably a LF'er or a 3B, depending on what they decide to do with Edwin) and will be willing to pay bucks to get that bat with Griffey off the books. Votto would be a good start to a package that will land a good bat.

Freel, CPatt, Maj, Mercker and Coffey are all likely to be gone either during the year or shortly thereafter.

Quote Originally Posted by GoReds View Post
    If the Reds re-sign Dunn, then Votto has to go. I love what the guy is capable of, but the fact is that Dunn is better suited to play 1B, not OF. The goal has to be to put the players in their best positions and they aren't even close now.

Griffey will not be re-signed and the Reds will look for a quality RH bat (preferably a LF'er or a 3B, depending on what they decide to do with Edwin) and will be willing to pay bucks to get that bat with Griffey off the books. Votto would be a good start to a package that will land a good bat.

Freel, CPatt, Maj, Mercker and Coffey are all likely to be gone either during the year or shortly thereafter.
    Dunn isn't better suited to play 1st. Dunn is best suited to play DH.

.793 was Gonzo's OPS at SS last year. This makes him a capable shortstop offensively.

Kep has been great. IF we got rid of our two DHs and EE quit making so many errors then I would be fine with Kep at SS even with his lower than average range. However right now the Reds defense is terrible.

I'd be more worried about the scouts and advisors I'm going to lose than the players.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Speculation --

Of Dunn, Phillips and Griffey, two will be moved. Or all three.

Jocketty's middle order hitters with the Cards were guys like Pujois, Edmonds, Rolen. The Reds guys are more "feast or famine" type hitters compared to these Cards guys. My guess is that Jocketty would prefer a different offensive core.

There is also a looming problem finding room for Keppinger. He is a fine offensive player. If second base were open, it would fit Kepp just fine.

Just a wild guess, but I think we are looking at significant changes in the offensive structure of this team. And I'm not talking about the peripheral offensive hitters, I mean the meat of the order guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Speculation --

Jocketty's middle order hitters with the Cards were guys like Pujois, Edmonds, Rolen. The Reds guys are more "feast or famine" type hitters compared to these Cards guys. My guess is that Jocketty would prefer a different offensive core.

There is also a looming problem finding room for Keppinger. He is a fine offensive player. If second base were open, it would fit Kepp just fine.

Just a wild guess, but I think we are looking at significant changes in the offensive structure of this team. And I'm not talking about the peripheral offensive hitters, I mean the meat of the order guys.
    CF ?
    3B Kep
    1B Votto (L)
    LF EE
    RF Bruce (L)
    2B Phillips
    C ?
    SS Gonzo

Dunn, Jr, Hat, and everyone except Homer are trade bait for a catcher & centerfielder who can play good/great defense and hit a little.
    Homer can be traded for one of these if it is a stud/stud prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Speculation --

Brandon Phillips isn't going anywhere. He just signed a big extension (which Castellini signed off on) and I believe the Reds are geared towards making him the face of the franchise. I believe that at this point he is the last position player on the team that you will see traded.

He may not be in the "meat of the order" but he will surely be in the lineup for some time to come, and that's ok in my book.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Just my take but I think we see Bailey here before we see him traded. I wouldn't be suprised if the Reds tried to get Bailey on schedule to take the #5 slot within the next few starts. I also hope that Stubbs stays on for a little longer. They guy is finally starting to hit and play at a high level. He may be older but I would assume that Jocketty will move him along faster to see if he can handle the jump.

I would assume that Jocketty has already evaluated the talent on the major league level. I would think that he needs to better evaluate the talent on the minor league level until he makes a deal.
    Good point. Boy do I wish Stubbs could just be ready to contribue now, he would solve so many problems for this team- a right-handed hitting defensive CF is exactly what this team needs. It's too bad he's in Sarasota.

Even though he wouldn't have been able to contribute to this point, Mike Cameron was probably exactly what this team needed. Oh well.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Brandon Phillips isn't going anywhere. He just signed a big extension (which Castellini signed off on) and I believe the Reds are geared towards making him the face of the franchise. I believe that at this point he is the last position player on the team that you will see traded.

He may not be in the "meat of the order" but he will surely be in the lineup for some time to come, and that's ok in my book.
    I like Phillips at 6th or 7th in the order. He has some power but is OBP challenged. His speed would help create some runs lower in the lineup.

Turn Off Ads?