Turn Off Ads?
Page 10 of 41 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Thread: Doc sez Krivsky FIRED!

Re: Fay sez Krivsky FIRED!

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelhouse View Post
    Disagree. With the rotation the Reds have, the improved bullpen, and the depth in the minors, the Reds can win this year.
    not with the current roster.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    SERP deep cover ops WebScorpion's Avatar

Re: Doc sez Krivsky FIRED!

That's what happens when a 'Win Now' owner has a 'Win Later, but do it right' GM and a 'Win Now' special advisor. Personally, I do not like it. I prefer a home grown crop of young, exciting players to assembling a team from high priced veterans. :thumbdown

"This field, this game, is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and what could be again." -- Terence Mann

Another thought, maybe the Castro situation was his swan song. Perhaps Krivksy, in addition to whatever other communications issues, was unable to see past some personal preferences for the betterment of the organization. Perhaps he'd been given the order to let Castro go after refusing to do it for some time. He eventually did it, but wasn't at all happy about it, let that be known, and things spun out from there.

I could very easily see a conversation which ended with something like "Being a GM requires you to make some tough decisions, Wayne. This is a business and we're here to win. You can let personal feelings towards players prevent you from making the right baseball moves."
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    I think it was as simple as RCast could see what a terrible job WK did of putting together a 25 man roster ... and was fed up with him doing nothing to fix it as the team is floundering.
    Yes, I agree. Wayne had 3 offseasons to improve this team.
    When you look at results, he's only marginally improved it.

He changed the concentration of talent from position players to starting pitching, but didn't raise the overall talent level of the team under his watch.

He also had the advantage of a very liberal checkbook from Cast. It's not as if he was working under a John Allen budget. He had the money to trade for Haren or a big RH bat, but not the balls to do it.

Hard to feel sorry for the guy when Cast gave him a clear goal and the money to do it, and he has clearly failed.

The bad people skills is just icing on the cake. We heard reports of this before, from him driving out Almarez, to the fact that he doesn't listen to his advisors on trades. A lot of bright people take a long time to learn that people skills are important, particularly in a management position.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Courtesty of www.mlbtraderumors.com

Code:
    Notable moves during Krivsky's tenure:

* 2-12-06: Scott Hatteberg signed to a one-year, $750K deal.
        * 2-13-06: Adam Dunn signed to two-year, $18.5MM extension.
        * 3-20-06: Acquired Bronson Arroyo for Wily Mo Pena.
        * 3-21-06: Acquired David Ross for Bobby Basham.
        * 4-7-06: Acquired Brandon Phillips for Jeff Stevens.
        * 5-26-06: Traded Cody Ross to Marlins for a player to be named later.
        * June '06: Selected Drew Stubbs eighth overall in draft.
        * 7-6-06: Acquired Eddie Guardado for Travis Chick.
        * 7-13-06: Acquired Gary Majewski, Bill Bray, Royce Clayton, Brendan Harris, and Daryl Thompson for Austin Kearns, Felipe Lopez, and Ryan Wagner.
        * 7-26-06: Signed Hatteberg to a one-year, $1.65MM extension.
        * 7-31-06: Acquired Rheal Cormier for Justin Germano.
        * 7-31-06: Acquired Kyle Lohse for Zach Ward.
        * 8-7-06: Acquired Ryan Franklin for a player to be named later.
        * 8-16-06: Acquired Scott Schoeneweis for a player to be named later.
        * 8-28-06: Signed Javier Valentin to a one-year, $1.325MM extension.
        * 9-25-06: Signed Juan Castro to a two-year, $2MM extension.
        * 11-20-06: Signed Alex Gonzalez to a three-year, $14MM contract.
        * 11-20-06: Signed Mike Stanton to a two-year, $5.5MM contract.
        * 11-20-06: Traded Jason LaRue to the Royals for a player to be named later.
        * 12-7-06: Acquired Josh Hamilton for cash.
        * 12-7-06: Selected Jared Burton in Rule 5 draft.
        * 12-12-06: Signed David Weathers to a two-year, $5MM contract.
        * 1-2-07: Traded Brendan Harris to Rays for cash.
        * 1-10-07: Acquired Jeff Keppinger for Russ Haltiwanger.
        * 2-6-07: Signed Aaron Harang to a four-year, $36.5MM extension.
        * 2-8-07: Signed Bronson Arroyo to a two-year, $25MM extension.
        * 4-16-07: Signed Ryan Freel to a two-year, $7MM extension.
        * 4-27-07: Traded Chris Denorfia to A's for Marcus McBeth and another player.
        * 5-9-07: Released Rheal Cormier.
        * June '07: Selected Devin Mesoraco 15th overall in draft.
        * 10-31-07: Exercised '08 options on Hatteberg, Dunn, and Valentin.
        * 11-28-07: Signed Francisco Cordero to a four-year, $46MM contract.
        * 12-21-07: Acquired Edinson Volquez and Danny Herrera for Josh Hamilton.
        * 1-23-08: Signed Jeremy Affeldt to a one-year, $3MM contract.
        * 2-15-08: Signed Brandon Phillips to a four-year, $27MM extension.
        * 2-21-08: Signed Josh Fogg to a one-year, $1MM contract.
        * 3-3-08: Signed Corey Patterson to a one-year, $3MM contract.
        * 4-8-08: Released Mike Stanton.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Caveat wonders aloud to the group:

How much longer does Jay Bruce stay a Red, in AAA, with a new GM that has a past history of trading young players for established stars and a manager that has a past history (albeit showing no signs of that history at the moment) of preferring established players over young ones.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

one of the Cardinal strengths during their run was have some rather serviecable bench players ... something the current roster completely lacks.

not with the current roster.
    We've seen it time and time again--teams with a strong rotation and mediocre hitting can contend.
    "Don't trust any statistics you did not fake yourself."--Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    with a new GM that has a past history of trading young players for established stars
    looking at RMR's Card history post the "young guys" he gave up were almost all dogs until the Mulder deal(that trade is really the only blemish on Jockettys tenure as GM).

I guess I'm not surprised by this, although I figured Castellini would have fired him a while ago. Why he waits until now is the part I don't get, unless he had thought he wanted to give this guy whom he didn't really like a bit of a chance, only to decide in the last week that he really couldn't stand him.

But how can any of us really be surprised that Krivsky is out and Jocketty is in? What did we really think Jocketty was there for? At least it's him and not someone without a proven record as a GM.

I do hope Krivsky lands somewhere good. He didn't really do any harm in my opinion, especially considering that he is responsible for Phillips and Volquez.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelhouse View Post
    We've seen it time and time again--teams with a strong rotation and mediocre hitting can contend.
    not with an utterly useless bench. If Jocketty can remake the bench and call up Brice he might have something.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Caveat wonders aloud to the group:

How much longer does Jay Bruce stay a Red, in AAA, with a new GM that has a past history of trading young players for established stars and a manager that has a past history (albeit showing no signs of that history at the moment) of preferring established players over young ones.
    Looking back at BA Top 100 list over the last 10 years, Jocketty only had 3 top 30 prospects and he didn't trade any of them. (J.D. Drew traded while in the bigs, Rick Ankiel, and Colby Rausmus)

I hate this (Period). It reminds me of the Yanks and Billy Martin.

My feeling for the reason though is that Wayne probably approached Cast about another player signed to a contract that he wanted to either release or trade (paying most of the salary) and Cast had enough of eating contracts. I'm guessing Freel or David Ross...

I must admit that he had a great talent of picking up gems for nothing and also knowing who to trade and who to keep. I love that he traded neither Cueto, Votto, or Bailey this offseason. I just hope Jock can find another Pujols in June....
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

and with neither Dunn or Jr signed for 2009 things weren't looking up next year either.

Great point. I brought that up several times when discussing the Reds window.
    Right now, the Reds could use a big RH bat. If Jr and Dunn walk, they'll also need a big LH bat or two. For all their faults, Dunn and Jr are huge parts of the offense and will be difficult to replace.

Also, I have no problem with firing Wayne this early in the season. If Jocketty will be the permanent GM, that gives him time to prep up for the 2009. Other clubs will be more receptive to talking to Jocketty now, even if little actual trading occurs.

On the other hand, given that Jocketty was enjoying a reduced role, I wonder if he will only be a transitional GM.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

not with an utterly useless bench. If Jocketty can remake the bench and call up Brice he might have something.
    The defense isn't exactly a strong suit either.

Turn Off Ads?