Turn Off Ads?
Page 12 of 41 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Thread: Doc sez Krivsky FIRED!

Re: Doc sez Krivsky FIRED!

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelhouse View Post
    Jocketty has not been afraid to bring up players the way Kriv was. He's even brought players directly from AA to the bigs. Might we see Daryl Thompson at #5?
    I would guess that Bailey gets the first shot. His BB rate is way down.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by RedsFan75 View Post
    Maybe we'll see Bruce starting in Center tonight!
    Not tonight but soon. Bruce will be called up or traded very soon,IMO. Either way he won't be in Louisville for the 2008 Kentucky Derby.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Another point -- Griffey and Dunn are effectively free agents this year. They have been the cornerstones of this offense, for better or worse. The decision whether to keep one or both, and how to replace them, are key decisions for the future of this offense.

Perhaps the owner wanted Jocketty to make those decisions. Perhaps the future of these two as Reds will be addressed sooner instead of later.

So perhaps you will see Dunn traded soon; and perhaps Griffey re-signed for a couple of years at a lower salary. Or maybe it's Dunn that's signed.

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    Not tonight but soon. Bruce will be called up or traded very soon,IMO. Either way he won't be in Louisville for the 2008 Kentucky Derby.
    If Bruce is traded then Jocketty's tenure in Cincy better be very, very short.

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    I would guess that Bailey gets the first shot. His BB rate is way down.
    Along with his K rate.

Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post
    This is very Steinbrenner-ish of Cast and the Reds. Not sure if I like it or not- it smacks a bit of over-reaction at this point in the season.
    Agree with this 100%

I was as hard as anyone on Krivsky on this board. I think he got too much credit for minor league success stories, especially when you consider the Reds top minor leaguers coming into this season were drafted or signed by JimBo and DanO.

As for the 25 man roster, he's really only responsible for BP, Ross, Kepp and whoever is currently manning CF, if that ends up being Bruce (and it should) that drops his mark to three players in the starting 8. He's made more of an impact on the rotation with Arroyo and Volquez. Hell, Volquez alone should have bought him till at least June. He added Burton and Cordero too, finally transforming the pen into something that won't kill the Reds.

His drafts were kinda weak, but he was active on the international scene.

I don't really get firing him at this point though. Very Steinbrennerish.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Krivsky's days were numbered. The minute Jocketty became available, Bob set his sights on his man.

Now he's got him.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    I'm not so sure this will change Jay Bruce's forecast. If Bruce is traded, Bob fired the wrong guy.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

One does have to wonder what caused this now. Why didn't Cast just do this in the off-season? What was the straw that broke the camel's back that kept him from keeping WK until his contract came up? I wonder if Wayne expected an extension by now and with Jocketty looming brought up this concern to his boss and maybe it got heated.

I hope we eventually find out.

Anyone think the crack beat reporters in Cincy will get to the bottom of all this?
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

The Reds fired general manager Wayne Krivsky today. I can't say I'm surprised, but I also think he's getting a bit of a raw deal. With the young talent in the Reds pitching staff, and more to come with Homer Bailey, this team was a year and a couple of hitters away from contending. They're not even near the worst team in the NL, let alone the majors. I wonder if there is something deeper than just the performance of the team.

Walt Jocketty takes over. I guess this means the Reds will see more veterans in their last useful season playing for the team.
    http://www.baseballmusings.com/

Quote Originally Posted by New Fever View Post
    Looking back at BA Top 100 list over the last 10 years, Jocketty only had 3 top 30 prospects and he didn't trade any of them. (J.D. Drew traded while in the bigs, Rick Ankiel, and Colby Rausmus)
    I'm trying to think of young players that Jocketty traded that ended up doing well. Of course, everyone knows about Haren-Mulder.

The only other ones I can think of were Kennedy but that netted them Edmunds. Palanco ended up being pretty good but that got them Rolen (IIRC).

It's not as if Jocketty had a slew of young superstars and traded them off for a bunch of Rheal Cormiers.

The Cards also developed some pretty good young talent that they kept.

I wouldn't panic about Jocketty coming in here and raping the farm system.

I do expect changes to be made, and that's exciting.

I wonder if a veteran player like Dunn who consistently applauded "Win now" moves like the Cordero signing will be more inclined to resign with a guy like Jocketty at the helm.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    Along with his K rate.
    down slightly. I take a pitcher with a DOM(K/BB) rate of over 4, generally anything over 2 is good. Combine that with a skill he has consistently shown(ability to limit HRs) and he doesn't need a K an inning to be successful. The only concern is that AAA ends up with a lot AAAA players who have the same skill set(low BB and high contact) which will lower both the BB rate and K rate.

This is from Fay's blog:

I just spoke briefly to Reds CEO Bob Castellini. I asked him why they made the move with Wayne Krivsky now.

"We're not winning. We haven't started well. It was time."

He said the move was a difficult one.

"He gave it his all. He's a good guy."

Castellini will have more to say at the 4 p.m. press conference.

I think the thing that did Krivsky in was contracts. Mike Stanton, Rheal Cormier, Juan Castro. I've also heard that he and Walt Jocketty were not getting along great.

Krivsky and I had our differences. But I liked the guy. He'll land on his feet.

Turn Off Ads?