Turn Off Ads?
Page 35 of 41 FirstFirst ... 25313233343536373839 ... LastLast

Thread: Doc sez Krivsky FIRED!

Re: Doc sez Krivsky FIRED!

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Not aimed at me, but I'd take Kemp without even blinking. 3 years younger. Better defender. No health concerns. Easy call.
    He's a righty too.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    I was just posting in a different Wayne thread that likely Bob was on the bubble about Wayne and that somewhere during a normal conversation things went from talking about the team to Wayne negotiating for his job.

Pedro mention being worried about BCast in a different thread (can't keep them all straight). I can't say that I disagree after reading this.
    I'm still waiting for Bob C to fire himself......remember that glorious presser?
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    I'm still waiting for Bob C to fire himself......remember that glorious presser?
    Is there anyone else left to fire...or blame?
    sorry we're boring

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    The Reds have what appears to be good starting pitching for the first time in decades.
    The Reds have more interesting starting pitching candidates than they've had in a long time--that's not a fait accompli on the "good starting pitching" thing, however.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    The Reds have more interesting starting pitching candidates than they've had in a long time--that's not a fait accompli on the "good starting pitching" thing, however.
    They're healthy, they throw hard, they miss bats.

Those three things alone make Harang, Cueto, and Volquez better than ANYTHING that has put on the wishbone-C in almost 20 years.

They're good. Sustaining that good? A different story -- you're correct about that. But I prefer starting from this point than discussing whether Jimmy Haynes or Osvaldo Fernandez can make it happen.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Just skimmed through the whole thread and my head is still spinning. I had about a hundred responses to make but I'm not sure how to condense them.

Re: Krivsky's future career, I really believe the guy has the potential to be a really really good GM. Maybe not great, but more than serviceable under the right circumstances. Our pathetic team was in shambles when he got here, but nevertheless he was kind of handed an awful lot for a first-time GM. A brand-new owner dying to spend money and, I'm guessing, a hell of a lot of freedom. All that considered, he did pretty well. Give 10 three year olds a shiny fragile new toy: seven will break it, two will be too scared to touch it, and one will play with it and not destroy it. Krivsky was that one kid. Nothing dramatic but he kept it together. More than that, he made some truly interesting moves. Like them or hate them, but they were different, and this team needed a creative shakeup more than anything else.

He overstepped at times and he was careless at times. he could have done a lot worse given his situation. I think that with tighter reins and a thinner checkbook he could be a fascinating GM. I'd love to see what he'd do with a team like Kansas City -- and that's not a knock. KC has great potential at the moment but will do nothing without good guidance.

I like Krivsky. I love Jocketty. I do think it's becoming clearer and clearer that Castellini is a loose cannon, and not necessarily in a good way. Under normal circumstances, I'd not be ok at all with someone shrewdly hired to take someone else's place in a few months (as M2 alluded to), I'd not be ok with a competent person fired for personality reasons (welcome to earth: we don't all get along), I'd not be ok with a GM hired for reasons of "losing" 21 games into the season. In this case, the replacement is Jocketty, so I don't have much choice but to let it slide. That makes me feel a little dirty, honestly, so Castellini bears the brunt of that for me.

I dunno...there's a ton here we don't know (and probably never will, and I think that's good). It's hard for me to hold Krivsky responsible for ALL the missteps, all the wasted money, and also to be ok with his sudden firing. If he was given so much freedom that all of the bad moves and money can be attributed directly and solely to him, then a sudden firing is just plain unfair. If you're his boss, you owe it to him to pull in the reins first and see what happens. If his moves had higher-level input or even approval, then the firing seems like a knee-jerk, responsibility-avoiding move by a crazy dude. I don't like that in charge of my organization. But...you know, Jocketty.

Whatever. Just sign Dunn already, will you.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

This is from Fay's blog tonight. Quotes from Krivsky:

Wayne Krivsky truly seemed blind-sided by the news of his firing. He spoke to the media Wednesday afternoon at the ball park, and even got a little emotional about halfway through.

“I did not see this coming all,” Krivsky said. “Having said that, I told Bob (Castellini) I was real appreciative of the opportunity. I worked 29 years to get an opportunity like this in the city of Cincinnati, starving for a winner, (with a) great sports town and great tradition, and I still think it’s a gold mine. I really do. That’s what hurts so much - not to see the job through to the end and bring that winner to Cincinnati.”

There was one thing Krivsky wanted to set straight, and that was about reliever Rheal Cormier. Cormier was designated for assignment early last season after a poor start, and was reportedly owed about $2.25 million.

“Just so you all know, there was a whole bunch of money in one transaction that paid for Rheal Cormier’s contract,” Krivsky said.

“I guess I can come forward with that right now. There was $2.08 million in one transaction that paid for his contract specifically, so if you can wipe that one off my ledger, I’d appreciate that,” Krivsky said.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post

Whatever. Just sign Dunn already, will you.
    I'm beginning to wonder if this is in the cards, but with a new boss in town, I guess that question is still as unanswered as it was before.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    I'm beginning to wonder if this is in the cards, but with a new boss in town, I guess that question is still as unanswered as it was before.
    I have always gotten the impression that Krivsky was a big Dunn fan. I have no idea what's going on with that situation, really.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    They're healthy, they throw hard, they miss bats.

Those three things alone make Harang, Cueto, and Volquez better than ANYTHING that has put on the wishbone-C in almost 20 years.

They're good. Sustaining that good? A different story -- you're correct about that. But I prefer starting from this point than discussing whether Jimmy Haynes or Osvaldo Fernandez can make it happen.
    And only one of those guys was acquired by Krivksy--in the only slam-dunk deal he made in his two years here.

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    I have always gotten the impression that Krivsky was a big Dunn fan. I have no idea what's going on with that situation, really.
    I always got the opposite read -- Krivsky tolerated Dunn because he understood his production would be difficult to replicate, whereas Casty really seemed to like Dunn and wanted to make him a focal point of things.

There was massive speculation that a LTC would be offered to Dunn after he and Casty sat down for their 1-on-1 dinner, and that never materialized.

Maybe that was yet another thing that Casty and Krivsky didn't see eye-to-eye on?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post

If part of the reason for Wayne's sacking was the bad contracts, Walt may be a little shy to sign anyone to a big money deal, not to mention a mega-huge deal like Dunn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Could be.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    And only one of those guys was acquired by Krivksy--in the only slam-dunk deal he made in his two years here.
    Yup. But, I tend to look at the larger picture.

Harang is going to be a Red on a long-enough deal to keep him around for a window of competition thanks in no small part to Krivsky's contract maneuverings.

Volquez -- what else can you say? I don't care what Hamilton does, if this is what we can expect as a baseline from Volquez, he posterized them on that deal.

Cueto avoided being on a first-name basis with Tim Kremcheck. The last time the Reds had young fireballers in the minors that were going to charge their way into Cincinnati, things turned out differently. Where have you gone Thomas Pauley and Richie Gardner?

Drafting talented players is half the battle -- but an idiot with a scouting department and a subscription to Baseball America can bring talent into an organization. This Reds regime seems to actually have aptitude for DEVELOPING talent through the minors. Players -- gasp -- seem to get better as they go along.

Krivsky deserves a lot of credit for that, IMO.

I wish Wayne nothing but the best. I think he's truly talented as a talent evaluator, and he'll land on his feet somewhere. Good luck.

Bob, I sure as hell hope you know what you're doing. A little too Steinbrenner'esque for my tastes, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt with Jocketty.

Turn Off Ads?