Turn Off Ads?
Page 37 of 41 FirstFirst ... 27333435363738394041 LastLast

Thread: Doc sez Krivsky FIRED!

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Re: Doc sez Krivsky FIRED!

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Who?
    You could start with Jeff Keppinger, Brandon Phillips, Jared Burton, and Edinson Volquez (by way of Josh Hamilton).

I think they, collectively, cost the Reds two A-Ballers and $50,000 in cash.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by MattyMo4Life View Post
    I don't understand this move at all. Personally, I hope the Cards sign Krivsky ;-)

I liked Jocketty as the Cards GM, but it was time for him to go. I don't see how he can be effective in Cincinnati unless the Reds ownership are prepared to open up their wallets. I red an article on the Reds website about the move stating that Krivsky's biggest mistake was trading Kearns and Lopez. Well, compare that to Jocketty trading Dan Haren, Daric Barton, and Kiko Calero for Mark Mulder. I thought Jocketty did a good job in St. Louis until that trade. IMO, that trade was the begining of the end for Jocketty in St. Louis. Imagine if he would make a comparable trade like that as Reds GM. Krivsky has signed several players that I would have loved to have as Cardinals, and he signed them cheap. Jocketty hands out big contracts when he signs/trades for players. I don't see how that philosophy will work for the Reds.
    At least Jocketty extended the right guys for the most part. We got a bunch of needless years of Arroyo, Brandon Phillips, not enough of Dunn, too much Stanton, Cormier, Majewski.

Two plus years in and this organization is still a mess from top to bottom. I'll grant you one thing: Jocketty's got his hands full; if he fails, it won't be a huge surprise.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    You could start with Jeff Keppinger, Brandon Phillips, Jared Burton, and Edinson Volquez (by way of Josh Hamilton).

they weren't signed...

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post

He didn't sign any of those guys. They all came over via trades or the rule 5.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Who?

Josh Fogg over Kyle Loshe was a blunder as well, especially with the way Arroyo is pitching.
    Josh Hamilton, Brandon Phillips, and Jerry Hairston Jr were Rule 5's and cheap signings. I'd take all of them as Cards.

He didn't sign any of those guys. They all came over via trades or the rule 5.

Is that a bad thing?

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    That is a purely ridiculous assertion on your part.
    One other great deal--Pena for Arroyo--was countervailed by his idiotic extension of a junkballer. Take the career year and spin it into other stuff.

But yeah, Wayne's only GREAT move--defining move--was Volquez.

Quote Originally Posted by MattyMo4Life View Post
    Is that a bad thing?
    Only if you like bidding wars, never getting great value, and dealing with agents all day.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    One other great deal--Pena for Arroyo--was countervailed by his idiotic extension of a junkballer. Take the career year and spin it into other stuff.

The good from Arroyo has netted the Reds absolutely nothing so far. Who knows if he will ever return to form, and like you said he now has a huge extension in his back pocket.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Brandon Phillips says hello. He was one of those "diamond in the rough" findings.

Isn't it too early to make any definitive statements like that?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    Brandon Phillips says hello.
    Dude. I think Brandon Phillips is currently proving my initial "ick" reaction to him 100% right. I'm not going to pat myself on the back about it, because the guy had a nice career year, but that extension was a huge gaffe.

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post

Isn't it too early to make any definitive statements like that?
    Why? Volquez could get hurt I guess. Provided he doesn't, that's about it, no? What other moves has he made in trade that netted the team a high-ceiling starter?

Am I missing any?

Dude. I think Brandon Phillips is currently proving my initial "ick" reaction to him 100% right. I'm not going to pat myself on the back about it, because the guy had a nice career year, but that extension was a huge gaffe.
    Don't you think we've got a bit of a small sample size problem here?

I think you and others ripped him after he started coming back to earth in 06 also. I wouldn't pat yourself on the back for that reason. He's streaky and I doubt he stays down for long.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Turn Off Ads?