Turn Off Ads?
Page 40 of 41 FirstFirst ... 30363738394041 LastLast

Thread: Doc sez Krivsky FIRED!

Re: Doc sez Krivsky FIRED!

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Nd2 View Post
    Only one National League player in the bunch. Try again.
    I said he WAS top five in the NL.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    Most of those guys are comparable and debating them is a waste of time. Ian Kinsler is not in that group...
    Probably. But my larger point is unchanged. Last year was likely a career offensive year, and defense never gets better as a player ages; not wise to extend him when you didn't have to.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Probably. But my larger point is unchanged. Last year was likely a career offensive year, and defense never gets better as a player ages; not wise to extend him when you didn't have to.
    I agree. I think the only thing that we disagreed on was when you said others are better defensively. Comparable yes, better no...

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

He's entering age prime.

He might never post the flash that he did last year, but I think he can replicate the baseline numbers behind the counting stats. He's already on pace to walk more this year than he did last year. That's a Good Thing™.

Moving him to a more appropriate position in the lineup (5th/6th) would also help.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

I said he WAS top five in the NL.
    When in reality, he's in the top two defensivley in the NL.

At least you got Chase Utley correct. I guess that means something.
    "...You just have a wider lens than one game."
    --Former Reds GM Wayne Krivsky, on why he didn't fly Josh Hamilton to Colorado for one game.

"...its money well-spent. Don't screw around with your freedom."
    --Roy Tucker, on why you need to lawyer up when you find yourself swimming with sharks.

Kinsler, Pedroia, Cano, Hill, Utley, just off the top of my head.
    FWIW, Baseball Prospectus rated Phillips better than all those guys except Cano for last year although with the exception of Cano (+28 runs) they were all fairly comparable.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Nd2 View Post
    When in reality, he's in the top two defensivley in the NL.

At least you got Chase Utley correct. I guess that means something.
    Ronny Cedeno
    Hudson

As I said, I'm going on recollection here.

I don't disagree that Phillips is a good second baseman defensively. He is. Being top ten in MLB at a position means you are good. I just don't think his extension was warranted. Which is a perfectly defensible position.

Ronny Cedeno?

He's never played 2nd base everyday.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Ronny Cedeno?

He's never played 2nd base everyday.
    True.

Krivsky didn't see change coming
    BY SHANNON RUSSELL | SRUSSELL@ENQUIRER.COM

When Reds president and CEO Bob Castellini asked Wayne Krivsky on Tuesday night what time he’d be in the office the following morning, Krivsky didn’t think much about it.

Eight-thirty, he said.

“Good,” Castellini said. “We’ll have a meeting.”

Who Wants To Pay Less Taxes This Year?

Building Strength and Muscle without Illegal Substances

Is Your Computer Slower Than When You Bought It?

At that meeting, Krivsky learned that Reds ownership brought him in to be fired.

Less than three years after taking over the club’s general manager position, Krivsky was replaced on Wednesday by former St. Louis general manager Walt Jocketty.

Krivsky was said he spent an hour trying to save his job. Castellini didn’t budge.

“I did not see this coming all,” Krivsky said.

“Having said that, I told Bob I was real appreciative of the opportunity. I worked 29 years to get an opportunity like this in the city of Cincinnati, starving for a winner, (with a) great sports town and great tradition, and I still think it’s a gold mine. I really do. That’s what hurts so much – not to see the job through to the end and bring that winner to Cincinnati.”

Until Wednesday, he said he dreamed of celebrating in the clubhouse someday with champagne. In his 15-plus minute farewell speech, he mourned his abbreviated stay and gave thanks to many people at Great American Ball Park.

When asked if he had had enough time to do what he wanted to accomplish in Cincinnati, the New York native became emotional.

“I can only say good things. I love it here. And…” he started before stopping to compose himself.

One of Krivsky’s biggest regrets is not working with manager Dusty Baker. He recommended Baker for the job, and still believes the skipper is “the right guy to take this team forward and win.”

When Baker talked to Krivsky Wednesday, he said the former general manager was upset, bewildered and emotional.

Baker was also surprised, although he’s convinced Krivsky will land with another team.

Krivsky, 53, isn’t ruling out another run at general management. But to be frank, he said, the only place he wants to be is here.

He said one of his Reds highlights was bringing up pitcher Tom Shearn from Triple-A Louisville last season. Krivsky said Shearn recently returned the sentiment.

“When Tom Shearn goes to a booster club at the Louisville ball park and says Wayne Krivsky is the only GM I’ve ever seen that comes down to the field and interacts with the players and knows their names – that’s really neat,” Krivsky said.

In the end, the Reds’ losing records were the impetus for change.

“Wayne Krivsky did a whale of a job in so many areas,” Castellini said. “It just comes to the point where … we’re just not going to lose anymore.”

Krivsky said there was nothing he would have done differently.

“I’m going to walk out of here with my head held high and feeling good, and I’m going to sleep good tonight, I hope,” Krivsky said. “You know, maybe not tonight. Maybe the next night.”

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.d...PT04/304230102

Kinsler, Pedroia, Cano, Hill, Utley, just off the top of my head.
    In order - hell no, no, hell no, solid but doesn't have a ton of range, I like Phillips better.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    FWIW, Baseball Prospectus rated Phillips better than all those guys except Cano for last year although with the exception of Cano (+28 runs) they were all fairly comparable.
    BaseballProspectus FRAA:
    Utley +4
    Kinsler +5
    Pedroia +12
    Phillips +15
    Hudson +15
    Hill +20
    Cano +23

FWIW

I just saw the interview with Krivsky saying "I really love it here" and started crying :O

wow.....

I really don't think this was a good move
    redsrule2500
    Go Reds!
    “I’m a normal guy blessed with the ability to hit a baseball.” - Sean Casey

Quote Originally Posted by redsrule2500 View Post
    I just saw the interview with Krivsky saying "I really love it here" and started crying :O

wow.....

I really don't think this was a good move
    Because he cried?
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

I think Wayne did some great things....some very poor things.....and perhaps will learn from his mistakes and often poor media skills.

He was better than DanO, and hopefully WJ can keep moving forward....because it is a wildly improved all-around organization from 3-4 short years ago.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Turn Off Ads?