Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 41 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: Doc sez Krivsky FIRED!

Re: Doc sez Krivsky FIRED!

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    The Reds young talent stayed healthy and progressed under Krivsky. Not so much under the previous regimes. Krivsky and crew were obviously doing something right.
    OK - isn't that what I said? He put valuable procedures in place that have allowed and encouraged propspects to flourish.

Why is that going to change? No one else has gotten fired, so why?

And what was your reaction when the guy who discovered your favorite new Red, Cueto, was forced out by the same Krivsky you now credit with developing Cueto? And the same guy who blasted krivsky on the way out I might add...
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

2. Turn Off Ads?

Maybe it's as simple as this:

Under Krivsky, the Reds went 161-184, going 80-82 in 2006 and 72-90 in 2007.
    Cast wants to win badly and he wants to win NOW. The Reds haven't been winning under Wayne's reign.

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    Daugherty on 1530 with Eggers right now, and he says that it is, indeed, Jocketty taking over.

He cites WK's lack of people skills, and, in particular, stuff like conflicts with Johnny Alvarez as being among the reasons.
    Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    Daugherty again saying that WK was "rough on people" within the organization and was a concern for the club "for some time".

Also, Daugherty says this can be taken as a sign of just how impatient to get things moving to winning that Castellini is. He doesn't think Monday night's stinkfest helped matters either.
    I speculated this theory here in a thread last fall - especially regarding Almarez - and few people believed it at the time. Maybe it's true, maybe it still isn't true, but it's interesting that some of the subtle signs I saw last season (and earlier) are now being tossed around for why he was fired today.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    Dusty was Bob's call, could be he's got the ear of the owner more then anyone.
    seems probable. Maybe there was a meeting where RCast asked Dusty his opinion of the state of the roster. I have not many complaints about Dusty to this point other than Patterson hitting leadoff.

Wow, this is great news.

Even if you loved Wayne, you've got to love the fact that Cast is not complacent and will not accept mediocrity. This is great.

Wayne certianly wasn't the worse GM we had. He brought in some talent. His supporters have a good point there, but he also made many mistakes.

I'm so pumped about having Jocketty take over. This is the most optimisitc I've been about this club in a LONG time.

Way to kick some booty Cast. It's great having an owner that wants to win, instead of being on the perpetual 5 year plan.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Crazy stuff

Not to toot my own horn, but I did a pretty exhausted analysis of the Cardinals run under Jocketty. Perhaps it will provide some context and insight in to what direction he might take the Reds.

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showt...ight=Cardinals
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Now, if only LaGenius would retire and Dave Duncan would then follow Jocketty over to Cincinnati.....
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Jocketty's a terrific GM and this is a good situation for a guy like him, especially if the development and scouting people don't take off in protest.

but Krivsky did a fine job. He was an obvious talent.

Re: Fay sez Krivsky FIRED!

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    If the plan is to win in 2008, then we're not even remotely close.

If the plan is to win in 2009, there's still time to make that happen.
    I guess it would help if I knew what your definition of what "win" means. Win as in the World Series? Agreed. Win as in contend for the NLC with a winning record? Why is that notion so far fetched ? To say we're not remotely close insinutates our holes are far more gaping than most others in the division.

Again, I just don't get it.

Here's my take on all of this:

I think Wayne has done a great job of infusing talent into the organization, but I fear he is at a point where he was not quite sure what else he could do to improve the team. I really like most of the moves Krivsky made (Arroyo trade, Hamilton and Phillips pickups, Harang and Dunn extensions, Volquez trade) and was fairly neutral to negative on The Trade- although it's looking a lot better this year with the emergence of Bray and Thompson. I think Jocketty, on the other hand, does have some ideas about what to do right now to improve this team, and turn it from a team on the cusp to a team that can win.

As long as Jocketty doesn't touch Cueto, Volquez, Bruce, Encarnacion or Votto, I'm actually ok with giving him the reigns. (I'm assuming Harang and Phillips are untouchable at this point.) I also would like to see us hang onto Bailey, Bray and Thompson, but I won't shed many tears if they're gone. I'm very curious to see how Jocketty deals with the Adam Dunn situation- in a way it strikes me as similar to the JD Drew scenario he faced in St. Louis. I am on the record as wanting to keep Dunn, so long as he'll stay for $60 MM or less. I really hope Jocketty doesn't want to keep Jr. around.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    Maybe it's as simple as this:

Cast wants to win badly and he wants to win NOW. The Reds haven't been winning under Wayne's reign.
    and with neither Dunn or Jr signed for 2009 things weren't looking up next year either.

Quote Originally Posted by NJReds View Post
    That's stunning. And if his people skills were such a big concern, they should've made this move during the offseason, unless there was an incident more recently that pushed him over the edge.
    My guess is that Cast gave Wayne one more chance to build a winning team.
    Cast opened up the wallet to get Dusty and Cordero. Cast was willing to eat salaries of previous mistakes.

In hindsight, look at the moves Wayne made last winter, other than Cordero.
    Hamilton for Volquez may turn out to be a good trade (too early), but that's clearly a trade which hurts the short term contention chances. Maybe it helps longterm, but that's not the kind of move Cast wanted.

I wonder if Wayne bit the bullet and traded for Haren, a setup man,and a RH bat if it would've saved his job.

Well, at least now Princeton doesn't have to worry about Wayne making a desperation move to save his job. Sorry Wayne, but you are the Weakest Link, Goodbye!
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    If a manager can run a GM out of town, then I would be pretty disappointed in Bob.
    I'm not suggesting Dusty "ran him out of town" just that I have a feeling that Dusty might give less "diplomatic" answers if asked about certain players on the roster thus coloring Castellini's perhaps already waning opinion of Wayne.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    I think it was as simple as RCast could see what a terrible job WK did of putting together a 25 man roster ... and was fed up with him doing nothing to fix it as the team is floundering.
    Yes, and a couple real boils on the team again this year like Fogg and Patterson as well as the Belisle blow out the other night. Shuffling the deck chairs on the centerfielder with no resolve, three catchers two of which one could question the value of etc.

Turn Off Ads?