Turn Off Ads?

Thread: One thing to get straight

One thing to get straight

Per Fay
    There was one thing Krivsky wanted to set straight, and that was about reliever Rheal Cormier. Cormier was designated for assignment early last season after a poor start, and was reportedly owed about $2.25 million.

“Just so you all know, there was a whole bunch of money in one transaction that paid for Rheal Cormier’s contract,” Krivsky said.

“I guess I can come forward with that right now. There was $2.08 million in one transaction that paid for his contract specifically, so if you can wipe that one off my ledger, I’d appreciate that,” Krivsky said.
    Which transaction? It doesn't sound like it was Cormier's itself.
    Larue was only $1
    Was it Conine?
    Last edited by klw; 04-24-2008 at 10:03 AM.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Designated Threadkiller LincolnparkRed's Avatar

Re: One thing to get straight

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    Larue was only $1
    Was it Conine?
    I saw somewhere that A's paid us for Denorfia as well as giving us McBeth. Not sure if it was Fay or Trent but it was written somewhere in all of yesterday's excitement.
    Climbing down from the bridge, but keeping the torch lit until Dusty's fate is settled

I think that he was talking about some windfall that they got back from the Denorfia deal with Oakland being used to cover the Cormier dollars.

So he is saying he basically sold Denorfia to pay for releasing Cormier. Terrific. That makes me feel better.

The curse of Denorfia?

There was $2.08 million in one transaction that paid for his contract specifically
    $2.08 million that could've been put toward a useful player instead of paying for Cormier's silly contract.

Hardly a check in Krivsky's plus column.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Quote Originally Posted by RichRed View Post
    $2.08 million that could've been put toward a useful player instead of paying for Cormier's silly contract.

Hardly a check in Krivsky's plus column.
    Yeah, I don't get this at all either. Unless Cormier really didn't cost any $, then how is that "off his ledger"? To clarify, I am not one to go back and scrutinze every little thing that he did well or poorly now that he's out (IMO he did some good and some bad, and generally I see us a better off after his work here), but this just seems silly unless I am really missing something.
    "I'm virtually free to do whatever I want, but I try to remember so is everybody else..." - Todd Snider

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

A bad contract is a bad contract. A bad trade is a bad trade. You can't use one to justify another.

Cormier was a bad trade/contract.

Denorfia/McBeth was a bad trade. If the team got $2 mm back, it becomes a lot less bad.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

trading for Cormier was a bad idea(said so at the time, most loved the deal) ... the contract extension they had to give Frenchie to wiave his no-trade was just an extra kick in the soft parts.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    Per Fay

Larue was only $1
    Was it Conine?

probably from Phils. Reds got Ryan Franklin, also from Philly, a week later. Cash is listed as part of the transaction. Reds/Phils may have agreed on money/pitcher exchange the week before, and were just waiting for scouting to be completed.

alternatively, Lohse trade was made on same day as Cormier deal, and Minny got a good return for an overpaid guy that they were not planning to tender. I figured that money changed hands there, but no cash is listed.

It was the Denorfia deal. WK said as much in another quote posted on here. Reds got cash to offset Cormier's deal along with McBeth.

That's the same logic as; "it was on sale so I bought twice as much and made money."
    I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.- Stan Helsing

Turn Off Ads?