Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Jocketty: Not too late for '08

Jocketty: Not too late for '08

Jocketty: Not too late for '08
    BY JOHN ERARDI | JERARDI@ENQUIRER.COM

Walt Jocketty is the kind of person people tell things to - a terrific listener, a communicator, a "people person." At least one Reds insider has compared the team's new general manager to a parish priest, even though Jocketty's a Methodist.

Ultimately, Jocketty's ability to inspire those who work for him might be why he got the job when he did, 21 games into the Reds' new season.

"He just has a wonderful way with people," said Bob Castellini, the Reds' president and chief executive officer. "He's a people guy."

Jocketty, 56, is in his 34th year in pro ball. He was fired last October in St. Louis with one year left on his contract because he wasn't on the same page with the Cardinals' vice president of player development and scouting, who was a proponent of statistical analysis and had the ear of the team's ownership.

Jocketty helped lead the Cardinals to the postseason seven times in 13 years. They twice played in the World Series, winning in 2006. Jocketty twice was named Baseball Executive of the Year (2000 and 2004) by The Sporting News.

"This organization is farther along than in St. Louis when I took over in '95," Jocketty said. "(In St. Louis), there weren't really a lot of prospects ... and a lot of money hadn't been spent in scouting."

Richard Justice, a longtime baseball writer who writes for The Sporting News, wrote Wednesday that Jocketty "didn't do a great job in player development (in St. Louis), but by getting Chris Carpenter, Larry Walker and others for almost nothing, he did his job."

Jocketty said after his news conference Wednesday that the Reds can win the division this year if things go right. He talked about creating a "culture of winning," but nobody is quite sure how Jocketty can create that so quickly given the team opened the season 9-12.

Can he do what needs to be done to turn things around?

"I think so," Jocketty said. "There are probably a couple of things we may have to do yet, but I felt when we started the season that this would be a contending club, and I still believe this division is very winnable."

He talked about the need for the organization to have patience, which is ironic since Castellini showed no patience by replacing Krivsky 21 games into the season. Jocketty said he has always tried to build his teams on pitching and defense.

But the Reds are notably weak on the latter, and two of their biggest offensive threats are defensive liabilities. One of them never could go get the ball (Adam Dunn), and the other no longer can go get it as well as he once could (Ken Griffey Jr.). Jocketty believes in "scoring runs, however ... your ballpark is built - whether it be with power, or the running game or small ball."

The myth is that the Reds have a good enough offense to win. They were the seventh-best offense in the league last year. But the Reds scored 70 fewer runs than they allowed last season in finishing nine games under .500 (72-90).

Stat analysts say that for every 10 runs your team scores more than it allows, that's worth one victory over .500. That means the Reds must score 40 more runs than they did last year, combined with improved pitching, to give the team the necessary plus-60 run differential to achieve an 87-win season. That's probably what it will take to win the NL Central.

If the pitching staff can shave a half run off its ERA - which is viewed as feasible, given the emergence of young stud starters Johnny Cueto and Edinson Volquez, and a considerably improved bullpen - it will allow 90 fewer runs than last year.

Jocketty's immediate attention probably will turn to the offense. Griffey is 38, Dunn's slow start has people wondering if he can achieve another 40 homer/100 RBI season, and the Reds' offensive player of the future - Jay Bruce - is still in Triple-A. Expect Jocketty to call up Bruce within a few weeks.

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.d...T04/804240377/

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Jocketty: Not too late for '08

1. well duh

2. his people problems reportedly got him canned in St Louis.

I still find it odd that he was replaced in St Louis so quickly after a WC. There seemed to be some concern that he'd just lost it.

I hope that he finds it again. This is a nice situation for him. And if he fails, who'd really want to come here?

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by princeton View Post
    I hope that he finds it again. This is a nice situation for him. And if he fails, who'd really want to come here?
    Brian Cashman?

He might be the only person alive with the required skill set to be GM for an owner like this.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Brian Cashman?

He might be the only person alive with the required skill set to be GM for an owner like this.
    Maybe, but is he as successful on a budget?
    I'm just like everybody else. I have two arms, two legs and 4,000 hits."

-Pete Rose

1. well duh

2. his people problems reportedly got him canned in St Louis.

I still find it odd that he was replaced in St Louis so quickly after a WC. There seemed to be some concern that he'd just lost it.

Your last statement is very true. If Jocketty, fails the Reds are not going to be able to hire a good GM as long as Castellini is around. He burned every bridge he could ever have with Krivsky's firing.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    Your last statement is very true. If Jocketty, fails the Reds are not going to be able to hire a good GM as long as Castellini is around. He burned every bridge he could ever have with Krivsky's firing.

no, but if he fires Jocketty after a short time too...

other owners have come off as short-fused meddlers, and still been able to find their Andy MacPhails. So it could happen. It's just that Cincy is already rather isolated. it would be harder.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

If Jocketty thinks we still have a chance in 2008, then I can't wait to see the laundry list of transactions that will ensue.

John Erardi is the only member of the media that even attempts to educate the public about the Reds offense.
    The Sox traded Bullfrog the only player they've got for Shottenhoffen. Four-eyes Shottenhoffen a utility infielder. They've got a whole team of utility infielders.

Plenty of people would want to come here to be the GM. There's not many openings for GM and a lot of guys that dream of that job.

Wayne was willing to work for Lindner/Allen.. People are willing to take the Pittsburg and KC jobs.

A good GM always believes that he can succeed where others have failed.

I think people are still a bit upset over Wayne being fired. It's understandable, but I doubt the rest of the baseball world thinks that Cast is a nut job.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    People are willing to take the Pittsburg and KC jobs.
    yes, I know that DanO would return, but I meant somebody good.

Dan O returning as the savior.

Awesome.
    Go Gators!

Ok, I've argued before on behalf of "clubhouse management" and a manager knowing how to deal with people before. Actually, I'm a big believer that if you know how to deal with people you can get a lot farther than someone with a lot of tallent and zero people skills.

That said....if I hear about "people skills" and "people person" anymore, I'm going to yak all over my shoes.

Serriously, I used to make fun of the "I'm a people person" bit during interviews. Now it's a virtue above all others? Yeeeech.
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

Turn Off Ads?