Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sweep Makes Reds Record 3-10 Since Week 1

Pitching is the thing WVRedsFan's Avatar

Sweep Makes Reds Record 3-10 Since Week 1

This is simply unbelievable. And the dreaded West coast looms. We could be in for a bad stretch that will doom the season.

Cueto came down to earth. Sad to see, but maybe the pressure's getting to the kid?
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Sweep Makes Reds Record 3-10 Since Week 1

Cueto allowed five runs in seven innings. If that's his version of a clunker then I'll take it. All pitchers have bad games, especially 22-year olds.

The Reds are 0-5 against the Astros and Pirates. Ouch.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Cueto allowed five runs in seven innings. If that's his version of a clunker then I'll take it. All pitchers have bad games, especially 22-year olds.

The Reds are 0-5 against the Astros and Pirates. Ouch.
    And probably in last place.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Man Pills

I'm sure this thread will get closed, but before it does, I'll just say: 22 year old pitchers get hit by MLB hitters. They just do. They always do. I suspect Cueto's numbers will be nothing short of awful by the end of the season. The only thing he has working for him right now is his efficiency (that is, control), so on occasion his line drives will end up in gloves and he'll have a quick and "easy-looking" couple of innings. His velocity is down--well down--from the 96 we saw in his first start. I'm guessing that he's been advised to key it down a notch or he's realizing that his body won't let him throw that kind of gas with regularity over 100 pitches and he's scaling his stuff back by himself. Whatever the case, he will have a VERY tough year, something I warned against in spring training when most everyone seemed pretty sure that 3-4 spots in the rotation were certain locks.

Don't kid yourself; this kid isn't in for some bumps and bruises--he's in for some full-scale shellackings.

You wanna place another bet on his numbers being awful at the end of the year? I find it truly amazing how Reds fans turn on players. If Cueto were a Cardinal or a member of another rival organization, he'd be the best young pitcher in the game.

BTW he hit 94-95 in his last start when I was there. I wouldn't say his velocity is way down because it's not true.

Cueto hit 94 several times today, that I saw.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

Truth of the matter is that the offense is the problem. The team is averaging 4.13 runs per game while giving up 4.81. Take out the only 3 times the offense scored some runs (all wins) and they're averaging 3.3 runs per game (20 games). They've scored 3 runs or less in 12 games. And we've only played 23 games. That's almot half. You do not win this way. you cannot win this way. Even the best pitching staffs give up over 4 per game on average.

If Jocketty has any magic, he'd better get that wand out.
    www.ris-news.com
    -Beano Cook

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

I subscribe to Reds news alerts from Cincinnati.com. The keeper of the alerts there felt the need to send one out a few minutes ago titled "Breaking News: Reds lose for 10th time in 13 games." I guess the wagons must be circling in Reds country.
    /r/reds

This team has scored over 4 runs in only 6 of 23 games. In those 6 games they are 5-1. In the 17 games they have scored 4 or less they are 4-13.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    I'm sure this thread will get closed, but before it does, I'll just say: 22 year old pitchers get hit by MLB hitters. They just do. They always do. I suspect Cueto's numbers will be nothing short of awful by the end of the season. The only thing he has working for him right now is his efficiency (that is, control), so on occasion his line drives will end up in gloves and he'll have a quick and "easy-looking" couple of innings. His velocity is down--well down--from the 96 we saw in his first start. I'm guessing that he's been advised to key it down a notch or he's realizing that his body won't let him throw that kind of gas with regularity over 100 pitches and he's scaling his stuff back by himself. Whatever the case, he will have a VERY tough year, something I warned against in spring training when most everyone seemed pretty sure that 3-4 spots in the rotation were certain locks.

Don't kid yourself; this kid isn't in for some bumps and bruises--he's in for some full-scale shellackings.
    What do you do then FCB? Leave Cueto in the minors until he is absolutly ready to succeed every night at the age of 30?

Every pitcher in baseball is going to have their off nights. The way Brantley described it on the radio was that Cueto didn't have his stuff today. I will take 5 runs over 7 innings every day of the week when a pitcher like Cueto isn't on his game. Cueto for Jennings anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    You wanna place another bet on his numbers being awful at the end of the year? I find it truly amazing how Reds fans turn on players. If Cueto were a Cardinal or a member of another rival organization, he'd be the best young pitcher in the game.

BTW he hit 94-95 in his last start when I was there. I wouldn't say his velocity is way down because it's not true.
    Dan Haren had an era of 5.08 when he was 23 years old. Randy Johnson was 4.82 at 25 years old and in his first year. Maddux was 6-14, 5.21 as a 21 year old. Glavine was 5.54 as a 21 year old. Smoltz was 5.48 as a 21 year old.

How come whenever a person questions a young Red you fly off the handle? Young pitchers struggle, its called growing - but I guess FCB isn't allowed to say such a blasphemist thing
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Quote Originally Posted by Puffy View Post
    Dan Haren had an era of 5.08 when he was 23 years old. Randy Johnson was 4.82 at 25 years old and in his first year. Maddux was 6-14, 5.21 as a 21 year old. Glavine was 5.54 as a 21 year old. Smoltz was 5.48 as a 21 year old.

How come whenever a person questions a young Red you fly off the handle? Young pitchers struggle, its called growing - but I guess FCB isn't allowed to say such a blasphemist thing
    First of all, I didn't fly off the handle. I was just poking fun at FCB. My problem with FCB's post was him saying Cueto's velocity is way down. No need to spread false information. Second of all, I agree that young pitchers typically struggle in their first year. I've said before that I think Cueto will have his share of bad outings this year but I think the good will outweigh the bad. No need to throw him under the bus after a bad start.
    Last edited by OnBaseMachine; 04-24-2008 at 05:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    Truth of the matter is that the offense is the problem. The team is averaging 4.13 runs per game while giving up 4.81. Take out the only 3 times the offense scored some runs (all wins) and they're averaging 3.3 runs per game (20 games). They've scored 3 runs or less in 12 games. And we've only played 23 games. That's almot half. You do not win this way. you cannot win this way. Even the best pitching staffs give up over 4 per game on average.

If Jocketty has any magic, he'd better get that wand out.
    Did you see Mr. Lance Berkman today? That's the kind of hitter the Reds lack and need. Guys like Dunn and, at this stage, Griffey have their talents, but if you want to compete on a high level you need a couple of top hitters -- either along with them or replacing them.

Only watched a bit, but Cueto looked good in his later innings of work. There remain pitching problems but the Reds are far along trying to fix them. The offense needs a different core in the middle of the lineup.

Cueto needs to work on his changeup. He isn't going to be able to throw heat consistantly like Volquez or Bailey. His plane is far less than Bailey or Volquez as well which means more mistakes get slammed.

I am not sold on Cueto surviving in the rotation yet, though pinpoint control with a above average changeup may convert me.

Today the changeup wasn't good and the results showed.

Cueto's changeup has looked great to me.

He didn't have his best stuff today. He seemed to throw a huge amount of fastballs and stayed away from his secondary stuff. Overall, he's pitched very, very good.

Turn Off Ads?