Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sweep Makes Reds Record 3-10 Since Week 1

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Re: Sweep Makes Reds Record 3-10 Since Week 1

A lot of young pitchers would have crumbled on a day like today...Matt Belisle would have crumbled on a day like today and he's got a few years under his belt. Cueto was getting hit pretty good, and hard at times, he gave up more runs than we're used to, and had to deal with not being on top of his game....Cueto fought through it, got through 7 innings, and kept his team in the game.

When Aaron Harang does it, it's called being a number one, and not letting a game get out of hand....since Johnny Cueto did it, it's called coming back to earth or getting shelled.

Odd how that works.
    Last edited by Matt700wlw; 04-24-2008 at 06:29 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    A lot of young pitchers would have crumbled on a day like today...Matt Belisle would have crumbled on a day like today and he's got a few years under his belt. Cueto was getting hit pretty good, and hard at times, he gave up more runs than we're used to, and had to deal with not being on top of his game....Cueto fought through it, got through 7 innings, and kept his team in the game.

When Aaron Harang does it, it's called being a number one, and not letting a game get out of hand....since Johnny Cueto did it, it's called coming back to earth or getting shelled.

Odd how that works.
    Yes double speak or double standards.

I believe what other posters have said, that they have asked him to tone it back a bit from what we saw the first start, that might effect him more.

I read an article on Bailey after he went to AAA, where he had gotten tired of everyone telling him how to this or that, or what to do, and he said in the article "screw that", that he was just going to pitch how he knew how and he believed that is why he was pitching better.

It is possible that certain instruction or changes bothers a Cueto, Bailey or Volquez, yet they are trying to be compliant with the "bosses" and it could effect a change from what we saw at the start.

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    Well whatever happens from now on all the good will be because of the new GM, all the bad because of the old.
    I don't know--every article but one that's been posted from outside publications since the change of control has absolutely lambasted Castellini for the move. I think the mood of the board is about 4 to 1 against the move. So I don't exactly see at all what you're seeing I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    I don't know--every article but one that's been posted from outside publications since the change of control has absolutely lambasted Castellini for the move. I think the mood of the board is about 4 to 1 against the move. So I don't exactly see at all what you're seeing I guess.

People have short memories. Sportswriters will say one thing one day and do a 180 in a month.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

I wouldn't say I'm against the move. The chances of the Jock building a successfull team are much greater than Wayne. While I don't think The Jock is perfect, he's definatley got a good track record of success and actually doing the job. That is definatley exciting. I think the Reds of September 2008 will barely resemble the Reds of April 2008. And that's a good thing for the most part.

I'm just not in favor of the method BCast chose to do it. Yesterday I was thinking that it was good that he made up his mind and acted. Today, after some time to reflect, it strikes me as horrbably bungled to (1) not axe Wayne over the offseason (2) use an convient excuse to make the change (3) pretend that the move is borne of "wanting to win NOW" instead of "I just wanted my guy as GM".

Basically a better date came along and BCast took him to the dance and ditched his original date at the dinner table.
    Last edited by Ltlabner; 04-24-2008 at 09:14 PM.

I think the mood of the board is about 4 to 1 against the move. So I don't exactly see at all what you're seeing I guess.
    I think it's 50/50 and like the Baker hiring in 3 months almost everyone here will love the move and talk about how Wayne was holding us back
    Go Gators!

I'm sure this thread will get closed, but before it does, I'll just say: 22 year old pitchers get hit by MLB hitters. They just do. They always do. I suspect Cueto's numbers will be nothing short of awful by the end of the season. The only thing he has working for him right now is his efficiency (that is, control), so on occasion his line drives will end up in gloves and he'll have a quick and "easy-looking" couple of innings. His velocity is down--well down--from the 96 we saw in his first start. I'm guessing that he's been advised to key it down a notch or he's realizing that his body won't let him throw that kind of gas with regularity over 100 pitches and he's scaling his stuff back by himself. Whatever the case, he will have a VERY tough year, something I warned against in spring training when most everyone seemed pretty sure that 3-4 spots in the rotation were certain locks.

Don't kid yourself; this kid isn't in for some bumps and bruises--he's in for some full-scale shellackings.
    Concur. The historical success rate for 21-year-old pitchers is anything but good. I don't think he's in for a horrid year, but he will get some full-scale shellackings in addition to the bumps and bruises.

Despite this, there is absolutely no reason to sour on him. He's an ace-in-diapers and he deserves our patience.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Welcome to 3rd worst in Baseball

How did this happen? How are we this bad? It seems like all the pieces are at least somewhat there, but we still keep on losing!

I don't know why I'm making a thread with mostly questions, but I can't think of anything else.... What's wrong
    redsrule2500
    Go Reds!
    “I’m a normal guy blessed with the ability to hit a baseball.” - Sean Casey

Re: Welcome to 3rd worst in Baseball!

Quote Originally Posted by redsrule2500 View Post
    How did this happen? How are we this bad? It seems like all the pieces are at least somewhat there, but we still keep on losing!

I don't know why I'm making a thread with mostly questions, but I can't think of anything else.... What's wrong
    What's wrong? That's actually fairly easy, how about by the #'s?!

2/5 of the starting rotation can't hit the broad side of a barn right now.
    2/3 of the starting OF can't run down flyballs 20 ft out of their "zone".
    1/3 of the starting OF doesn't even exist yet.
    1/4 of our starting IF lacks range (although I don't know it's actually hurt us much if at all)
    1/4 of our starting IF can't throw the ball to 1st base on a regular basis
    1/3 of our catchers....well that says it all right there 3
    1/2 of our non-platoon 1st base platoon doesn't fit his role
    7/8 of the starting lineup on a given day can't hit w/risp

1 Manager who will continue to put out a lineup that places more emphasis on your name than your current ability and how it relates to the other players he has to work with.

1 owner who's now made 2 bad major executive decisions in a row replacing a capable GM and Mgr with "names".
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Re: Welcome to 3rd worst in Baseball!

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post

2/5 of the starting rotation can't hit the broad side of a barn right now.
    2/3 of the starting OF can't run down flyballs 20 ft out of their "zone".
    1/3 of the starting OF doesn't even exist yet.
    1/4 of our starting IF lacks range (although I don't know it's actually hurt us much if at all)
    1/4 of our starting IF can't throw the ball to 1st base on a regular basis
    1/3 of our catchers....well that says it all right there 3
    1/2 of our non-platoon 1st base platoon doesn't fit his role
    7/8 of the starting lineup on a given day can't hit w/risp

1 Manager who will continue to put out a lineup that places more emphasis on your name than your current ability and how it relates to the other players he has to work with.

1 owner who's now made 2 bad major executive decisions in a row replacing a capable GM and Mgr with "names".
    Yeah, I agree with the bold items listed. It's sad because our offense should come around....but when?!
    redsrule2500
    Go Reds!
    “I’m a normal guy blessed with the ability to hit a baseball.” - Sean Casey

Turn Off Ads?