Turn Off Ads?

Thread: FSN-Cincinnati

FSN-Cincinnati

Why is it that our FSN can't seem to give us broadcasts of Reds' day games during the week? It seems to me that other team's FSNs have no problem with it. There were 4 or 5 on today. Has this been discussed and I missed it?

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Re: FSN-Cincinnati

Ratings, ultimately.

Since they only do 140, the weekday day games are easy to skip

It's too bad they don't pick the WGN/TBS/ESPN games instead to not air
    redsrule2500
    Go Reds!
    “I’m a normal guy blessed with the ability to hit a baseball.” - Sean Casey

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    Ratings, ultimately.

Since they only do 140, the weekday day games are easy to skip
    OK, fair enough, but it seems like it's not so much the number of games that's sacred as it is the time that they're being played. For example the game played on Monday April 7th, exactly one week into the season. Originally that game was scheduled to be a night game and as such was also listed by FSN to be televised. Thus it was part of the original 140 or so games scheduled to be aired by FSN-Cincinnati. However (if I recall correctly) when the Reds changed it to a day game it was not televised by FSN. Why???

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    when the Reds changed it to a day game it was not televised by FSN. Why???
    Like Matt said... ratings. Think about what the most desirable viewers to advertisers are doing during a day game. They're under 55 and over 18, so they're mostly at work. That means they're not at home in front of the TV to watch commercials! If the sales people can't sell enough ads to cover the cost of the TV coverage, the network has a good reason to pull the plug on televising.
    Last edited by Unassisted; 04-24-2008 at 07:12 PM.
    /r/reds

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    Like Matt said... ratings. Think about what the most desirable viewers to advertisers are doing during a day game. They're under 55, so they're at work. That means they're not at home in front of the TV to watch commercials!
    Not only that, it's a getaway day and the team would not be available afterwards and you don't have to pay the crew either for a day that even Farmers.Com and A&E would eschew spending advertising dollars on.

Now... if it's on the road the crew is already there, might as well do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    Like Matt said... ratings. Think about what the most desirable viewers to advertisers are doing during a day game. They're under 55 and over 18, so they're mostly at work. That means they're not at home in front of the TV to watch commercials! If the sales people can't sell enough ads to cover the cost of the TV coverage, the network has a good reason to pull the plug on televising.
    No question there's not much advertising to sell for a 12:35pm Thursday broadcast. I guess I'm just wondering why so many other teams do it but the Reds don't. For instance today's game was televised by the Houston FSN; Detroit's FSN did their day game and so on. I'm sure they face the same challenges yet they still broadcast these early afternoon mid week games. What's the difference between them and FSN-Cin?

No question there's not much advertising to sell for a 12:35pm Thursday broadcast. I guess I'm just wondering why so many other teams do it but the Reds don't. For instance today's game was televised by the Houston FSN; Detroit's FSN did their day game and so on. I'm sure they face the same challenges yet they still broadcast these early afternoon mid week games. What's the difference between them and FSN-Cin?
    They already had a crew that plays into the it... plus face it Cincinnati is a small market, Houston/NY/Seattle aren't that's why they always show all their games.

Larger markets? More advertising?
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Next week they are doing a rare weekday afternoon game. The game at STL is on Wednesday afternoon. It is probably in George's contract all games against his beloved Cardinals have to be televised.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Fanatic View Post
    Next week they are doing a rare weekday afternoon game. The game at STL is on Wednesday afternoon. It is probably in George's contract all games against his beloved Cardinals have to be televised.

They'll just interrupt the FSN Midwest feed for the STL Cardinals and send it out raw.

Then, FSN-Ohio would add there own graphics.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Turn Off Ads?