Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Yankees pursuing a deal for Oswalt?

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Yankees pursuing a deal for Oswalt?

http://nationalpost.pa-sportsticker....1881209074442A

Astros P Oswalt downplays trade rumors

Published: Thursday, April 24, 2008

Roy Oswalt addressed rumors concerning his future Thursday, claiming he would consider waiving his no-trade clause if the Houston Astros specifically asked him to.

In a brief meeting with reporters prior to Thursday's 5-3 victory over the Cincinnati Reds, Oswalt admitted he would listen to the Astros if they approached him with a trade offer.

"If management came to you and asked you if you'd approve a trade, that just goes to show that a team doesn't want you," Oswalt told reporters. "So why wouldn't you? If a team doesn't want you to play there, why wouldn't you approve a trade?"

Speculation regarding Oswalt's status arose recently when ESPN reported that the Astros were interested in trading the ace righthander, with the New York Yankees positioned as the front-runner to land his services.

But Oswalt downplayed the rumor Thursday.

"I don't know where (the report) came from," Oswalt said. "I don't know where (ESPN) is getting that from. That came out of left field somewhere."
    Astros general manager Ed Wade also dispelled the trade talks, arguing that he had no interest in dealing away Oswalt.

"I haven't had any discussions with any of our players that have no-trade clauses," Wade told the Astros' web site. "I'm tickled to death we have a No. 1 starter. Anything about a trade, it's all news to me."

Oswalt, 30, is 2-3 with a 6.00 ERA in five starts this season. A three-time All-Star, he has reached double figures in wins in each of his first seven seasons, reaching the 14-win mark six times over that stretch.

A Mississippi native, Oswalt owns a career record of 114-57 with a 3.13 ERA in parts of eight seasons, all with Houston.
    /r/reds

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Yankees pursuing a deal for Oswalt?

Get him out of the Central and in the NL in general and I am thrilled. Hell, maybe the Astros should try selling Berkman off too.
    "Since I've been with the Reds in 1989, we've never had a farm system this loaded," Bowden said. "If we were the New York Yankees and had unlimited dollars, we could have traded for Colon, (Jeff) Weaver, Rolen, (Cliff) Floyd, (Kenny) Rogers and Finley and gotten them all -- and still held onto our top five prospects. That's an amazing statement."

I figure the Yanks will be in the contest for Sabbathia at season's end. He'll walk from Cleveland because he wants Santana money. He also wants to be near home on the west coast, but money talks.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

Let the Yankees take him. Then he'll stop beating the Reds 5 times a year.

I'm for it...obviously lol
    redsrule2500
    Go Reds!
    Baseball Bliss
    Im a normal guy blessed with the ability to hit a baseball. - Sean Casey

Quote Originally Posted by MrCinatit View Post
    Let the Yankees take him. Then he'll stop beating the Reds 5 times a year.
    The Reds might have won the World Series in '06 if Oswalt pitched for the Yanks...

We should get him first.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    We should get him first.
    I wondered if this would come up.

Going after Oswalt could be the truest test of how committed to winning Castellini is. It'll take a trade to pry Oswalt loose and to convince Houston to let him stay in the division, the Reds will have to give up a quality player. Should the Reds include Dunn in a trade for him?
    /r/reds

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    I wondered if this would come up.

Going after Oswalt could be the truest test of how committed to winning Castellini is. It'll take a trade to pry Oswalt loose and to convince Houston to let him stay in the division, the Reds will have to give up a quality player. Should the Reds include Dunn in a trade for him?
    Knowing our luck, Dunn would go there and become the next Berkman. He'll end up with 800 career HRs and about 500 of them will be against the Reds.

Quote Originally Posted by OldRightHander View Post
    Knowing our luck, Dunn would go there and become the next Berkman. He'll end up with 800 career HRs and about 500 of them will be against the Reds.
    You left out the part about Oswalt's right arm falling off on the flight to Cincinnati after the trade is made.
    /r/reds

Dunn can be had after this season so I doubt he'd be a key piece, the asking price probably starts with Bruce
    Go Gators!

Turn Off Ads?