Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Texas Rangers pitching staff

Texas Rangers pitching staff

I was just looking through some stats and saw the Texas Rangers have the worst record in the AL at 8-16 and have the second highest ERA in baseball (5.49), trailing only the Pittsburgh Pirates (5.69), who held our Reds to four runs in three games sadly. I just found it ironic that the Rangers have the second worst pitching staff in baseball considering all the pitching they've traded in the last three years. In the last three years the Rangers have traded RHP Chris Young, RHP Francisco Cordero, RHP Edinson Volquez, and LHP John Danks. And Josh Hamilton is all they really have to show for it right now.

Chris Young has thrown 170+ innings of 3.46 and 3.12 ERA ball respectively in the last two seasons since being traded to the Padres.

Cordero has gone on to become a dominant closer.

Volquez is 3-0 with a 1.21 ERA and is striking out a batter per inning with our Reds.

John Danks is a talented young lefty who is pitching well for the White Sox this season with a 3.04 ERA in 23.2 innings.

That is a lot of pitching talent that organization has traded away recently.
    Last edited by OnBaseMachine; 04-26-2008 at 03:56 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Texas Rangers pitching staff

I get the feeling the Rangers must believe their ballpark is no place to develop young pitchers. Maybe they are just too impatient to develop the young guys and would rather pin their hopes on proven mediocrity like Millwood, Padilla and Jennings.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

They're just bad judges of pitching talent and when its ready. They keep trading guys just when they're ready to succeed. They are poster boys for the wrong way to trade prospects.

A few weeks ago Texas DFA'd a 26 year old RHPer named Armando Galarraga and the Tigers picked him up and inserted him into their rotation. After his start today, he's allowed just three earned runs on seven hits in 18 innings while posting a 1.50 ERA. It keeps getting worse for Texas. He's not as talented as the others but he's got a decent arm, which is an improvement over what they have.

Galarraga was a top 10 formerly for the Expos and/or Nationals. He had some shoulder issues I believe, was released and picked up by the Rangers. They DFA'd him, but not Elizardo? Interesting. He was a good gamble. He's not as good as he's been to start, but he's a decent back end type.

Lot of good Hamilton is doing eh? As good as he's been?

I'm much happier that our problem is now offense. Much easier to fix than finding high leverage arms that give you a chance to win ballgames. My caps off to Wayne for at least refocusing the strength of this team.

Not an easy task.
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by cincyinco View Post
    Galarraga was a top 10 formerly for the Expos and/or Nationals. He had some shoulder issues I believe, was released and picked up by the Rangers. They DFA'd him, but not Elizardo? Interesting. He was a good gamble. He's not as good as he's been to start, but he's a decent back end type.

Lot of good Hamilton is doing eh? As good as he's been?

I'm much happier that our problem is now offense. Much easier to fix than finding high leverage arms that give you a chance to win ballgames. My caps off to Wayne for at least refocusing the strength of this team.

Not an easy task.

Excellent point. Sure our Reds are no better than they have been in recent years but now we have a lot more pitching. We can get hitting a lot more easily than pitching. WK did do the heavy lifting in this rebuilding project. That should give Reds' fans reason for optimism.

Anyone who has watched Ranger baseball this year will tell you that they also play horrible, horrible defense as well as questionable baserunning. They're an abysmal team to watch. This doesn't reflect well on the manager. Look for Ron Washington to take the ax for this by October.

The Rangers traded Danks and Nick Masset for Brandon McCarthy.

Not real sure what they were thinking on that one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Turn Off Ads?