Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why No Push for Griffey's 600th HR?

Pitching is the thing WVRedsFan's Avatar

Why No Push for Griffey's 600th HR?

Paul Daugherty mentioned it in his blog and on his radio show tonight. Why is Cincinnati and more especially the Reds so indifferent to Ken Griffey, Jr.'s quest to reach 600 career home runs? It baffles me.

Back when I first became aware of Reds baseball (in the 1960's), there were always sluggers. Frank Robinson and Wally Post come to mind. Then there were Johnny Bench, George Foster, and Tony Perez of the Big Red Machine. Finally, we had Greg Vaughn for a season, but no one came close the the mark Junior is about to reach. And the Reds PR department has been almost silent. It's strange.

You would think a world-class guy like Rob Butcher, rumored to be the best in the business, would have more to do than worry about Marty Brenneman getting a scoop from Dusty Baker. He might be promoting the Griffey feat, but no. Instead, Griffey will probably get his coveted 600th while on the road and a fabulous PR moment will be lost.

Is this a sign of a franchise that simply does not get it or am I missing the finer points of fantastic PR that the department gives the hometown baseball team? I don't know, but I sure am disappointed.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Why No Push for Griffey's 600th HR?

It seems to me that there has been so little winning during Griffey's tenure, lots of folks just aren't bowled over by a milestone that was largely accomplished with another team...

you'd think the Reds would be doing a better job of making it an event, however.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

Haunted by walks

The storyline always takes place in a context, and sadly, Griffey's takes place in the context of a more jaded time. If Bonds and Sosa hadn't diluted the inspirational effects of the big round number in baseball. If Griffey still had a shot at Aaron. If Griffey had not been injured, and had remained at the center of attention. If Griffey had led his team to the pennant. If Griffey played for New York. If the Reds were on a roll, with the whole city and tri-state behind them, led by their near-future hall-of-famer, instead of dwelling in the cellar and dumping their GM.

The Reds did make a big deal about Griffey reaching 500. That seems like only yesterday, but times have changed.

Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    The storyline always takes place in a context, and sadly, Griffey's takes place in the context of a more jaded time. If Bonds and Sosa hadn't diluted the inspirational effects of the big round number in baseball. If Griffey still had a shot at Aaron. If Griffey had not been injured, and had remained at the center of attention. If Griffey had led his team to the pennant. If Griffey played for New York. If the Reds were on a roll, with the whole city and tri-state behind them, led by their near-future hall-of-famer, instead of dwelling in the cellar and dumping their GM.

The Reds did make a big deal about Griffey reaching 500. That seems like only yesterday, but times have changed.
    That's no excuse. ESPN mentions every milestone. The AP stories mention it every time. It's a big deal, but in the hometown, why is it not? I find it a total failure of that "world-class" PR team led by Rob Butcher. That may be only me, but how often will this happen? Only a few have done it before him, and the Cincinnati Reds sit on thier hands? It's just dysfunctional. Just like the rest of this franchise IMHO.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

I think Rob Butcher just has more important things to be doing, like making sure that Marty doesn't release sensitive info before he's supposed to.
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    I think Rob Butcher just has more important things to be doing, like making sure that Marty doesn't release sensitive info before he's supposed to.
    Ha!

Don't challenge me on that!
    www.ris-news.com
    -Beano Cook

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    Ha!

Don't challenge me on that!

"The Power of Assbackwardness and Misplaced Priorities"

I honestly don't really care about it.

It's just a number...when he passes Sosa will be more memorable realistically.

Also: I think they are doing plenty to market it. They have their own ads for it, his own sign in the outfield, and I can't stop hearing about it.....
    redsrule2500
    Go Reds!
    Baseball Bliss
    Im a normal guy blessed with the ability to hit a baseball. - Sean Casey

I could care less too. I want this team to win more than individual accomplishments.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

www.kylevoska.com - Golfer? Check out my blog for golf tips.

Quote Originally Posted by Redhook View Post
    I could care less too. I want this team to win more than individual accomplishments.
    That's a fair statement, but when the accomplishment is one that only a handful of people have done... ever, things change. Especially, when of that handful, even less have done it clean, in my opinion. This is an important milestone.

That being said, the Reds are doing their own subtle marketing of the event (the sign in center, the banner on reds.com, occassional ads). But, this is a NOW world, if he's not hitting it tonight, fans don't care as much. Since it's not about the chase of an all time mark, the spotlight will be on 600, not 598 or 599, or even 601. It's just going to be that 1 homerun. So, while I agree, it's a big deal, I'm not sure there's much more the Reds should be doing right now. Of course, once he hits 599, I expect a little more from them.
    I'm just like everybody else. I have two arms, two legs and 4,000 hits."

-Pete Rose

What more can you do to market it? Its not like he is at some torrid pace. Dude's been stuck at or near 590 for what seems like forever (ok ok, the offseason did that)

Waiting for a tour/album KittyDuran's Avatar

lots of folks just aren't bowled over by a milestone that was largely accomplished with another team...
    IIRC his next HR will be his 200th for the Reds - the rest was w/Seattle.
    2014 Reds record when I'm attending: 3-4
    2014 Dragons record when I'm attending: 1-0
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    That's no excuse. ESPN mentions every milestone. The AP stories mention it every time. It's a big deal, but in the hometown, why is it not? I find it a total failure of that "world-class" PR team led by Rob Butcher. That may be only me, but how often will this happen? Only a few have done it before him, and the Cincinnati Reds sit on thier hands? It's just dysfunctional. Just like the rest of this franchise IMHO.
    Maybe it's just me... but IMHO a lot is being done at GABP and around the city. The sign under the Pepsi Powerstacks, stuff up on the screen. IIRC the moving billboard signs on the interstates around town have been touting it as well [along w/promotions and the starting pitcher]. Of course, going to the games and living in the area I get to see this stuff. Outside of the area, I agree that the PR for this event is sorely lacking.

Actually, have you sent a email to the PR department? I'm sure they would like to hear some suggestions. If you don't want to - I'll do it.
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

I don't know if "poor taste" is the phrase I'm looking for but with the Reds 5 games under .500 and a GM that has been fired, I'm not sure the Reds feel terribly comfortable publicizing a player's individual achievement.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I don't know if "poor taste" is the phrase I'm looking for but with the Reds 5 games under .500 and a GM that has been fired, I'm not sure the Reds feel terribly comfortable publicizing a player's individual achievement.
    We fans have to have something to about!

Turn Off Ads?