Turn Off Ads?

Thread: I'm sorry, but this is silly...

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

I'm sorry, but this is silly...

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/...2008&fext=.jsp

It's not even MAY - baseball really needs to change this to make it an actual All-Star game

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: I'm sorry, but this is silly...

It is too early, as they should not do it until at least June. Still, I have done my first All-Star vote this year.
    Last edited by AmarilloRed; 04-29-2008 at 07:12 PM. Reason: Improved post

It's largely a popularity contest anyhow, so it doesn't bother me when they start the voting.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

Can we please turn this into the official "lets get Paul Bako into the ASG as a write in" campaign?

25 votes per email address. I have quite a few email addresses

Lots of people on here, lets make something happen!

Quote Originally Posted by HumnHilghtFreel View Post
    Can we please turn this into the official "lets get Paul Bako into the ASG as a write in" campaign?

25 votes per email address. I have quite a few email addresses

Lots of people on here, lets make something happen!
    I already cast my first write in for Bako; I would be willing to do it 24 more times.

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    I already cast my first write in for Bako; I would be willing to do it 24 more times.
    I just can't help but think it would be awesome to get a career journeyman catcher having a good year into the game somehow.

Abolish this silly game.
    Go Gators!

It got silly when it moved to the internet. Make it voting at parks only, starting on June 1.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

I would think that advanced technology such as Web voting would allow them to start voting later than ever.

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    Abolish this silly game.
    On the radio, they were saying the best tickets at Yankee stadium were about $700 for the All star game. Whether we think it's silly or not, that's a lot of cash for an exhibition game.

The prices for home run derby and the futures game were also pretty outrageous.. In particular for the futures game, when I can see most of these guys in a regular minor league game if I plan correctly (As can anyone willing/able to go to a AAA park)..
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

I need WOY's newspaper clippings from 1957 about right here.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

The game's became as hollow as the GG award.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

It's always been a popularity contest. It's why Jason Varitek continues to be the starting American League catcher despite putrid defense and just slightly above average offense.

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    I think fans should start showing their support by showing up to GABP dressed in costume. How about starting a fan club called the Bako Bits. Maybe they could dress up as bacon. Or maybe sheep wrapped in bacon (Baaaah-ko Bits, get it).
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    The game's became as hollow as the GG award.
    George Grande?
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Turn Off Ads?