Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Krivsky Interview on 1530 HOMER

Krivsky Interview on 1530 HOMER

Alan Cutler interviewed Wayne Krivsky this morning and I haven't heard such a love-in since the 60s. What a wimpy, softball interview.

WK says that the only bad contract he's responsible for is Mike Stanton. Cutler proceeds to let that comment ride. How 'bout challenging it, Alan! How 'bout making him defend the Juan Castro contract, or Corey Patterson or David Ross or Alex Gonzalez or Josh Fogg or Ryan Freel or Bronson Arroyo? I'd love to hear him justify those decisions.

WK also said he tried to run this team like the Minn Twins. I'd have asked him why the Twins don't have the big contracts that the Reds are now saddled with.

WK said that he's a wonderful communicator! I think most sportswriters in the area would disagree as they've been complaining about his communication skills ever since he took the job.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Krivsky Interview on 1530 HOMER

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    WK also said he tried to run this team like the Minn Twins.
    When you've beaten the obvious to death, what else more is there to say?

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    When you've beaten the obvious to death, what else more is there to say?
    I haven't heard Wayne defend it yet. Sure, we've beaten it to death on this site but I'd sure like to hear his side of it. My guess is he tried to defend it for an hour with BC and he didn't buy into it either

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    WK also said he tried to run this team like the Minn Twins. I'd have asked him why the Twins don't have the big contracts that the Reds are now saddled with.
    You mean like paying Mike Lamb 3.5 million to hit .177/.212/.258?
    Or like paying Adam Everett 2.8 million to hit .185/.214/.222?
    Maybe like Michael Cuddyer 6 million to hit .278/.278/.278 and come off of the bench as a defensive replacement since the first week of April?
    Maybe Nick Punto making 2.4 million for his last two craptastic seasons?

Lets not pretend like the Reds are the only team with bad players making some money to suck. It goes on with every team in baseball, it just gets magnified here because we follow the Reds.

As for running the team like the Twins.... he was. He just didn't have the time to get it into full Twins mode. He was going young, but he had to keep/sign some guys in order to give his guys the chance to get to the Reds. He didn't get the time to do that. Rome wasn't built in a day.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Maybe like Michael Cuddyer 6 million to hit .278/.278/.278 and come off of the bench as a defensive replacement since the first week of April?

Lets not pretend like the Reds are the only team with bad players making some money to suck. It goes on with every team in baseball, it just gets magnified here because we follow the Reds.
    Yeah--you're right; the Twins method sucks.

Yeah--you're right; the Twins method sucks.
    Its not bad..... it just takes time to get there.

Its not bad..... it just takes time to get there.
    And when you get there, you hoard your prospects like Silas Stingy and fall short again and again.

That is absolutely 100% correct. Every team has these contracts and some are even worse than Krivs. In fact payroll flexibility going forward after this year is a big reason I am so high on the future of the Reds. I am not so sure that Arroyo's contract is going to look bad in 3 months but I agree right now it looks horrible. Otherwise I think Krivs deserves a lot of credit for building an organization that appears on paper to be 1-2 years away from being really really good.
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

And when you get there, you hoard your prospects like Silas Stingy and fall short again and again.
    Fall short of a WS? Sure, but they have also gone 698-612 since 2000 while going to the playoffs 4 times in 8 years.

Quote Originally Posted by paulrichjr View Post
    That is absolutely 100% correct. Every team has these contracts and some are even worse than Krivs. In fact payroll flexibility going forward after this year is a big reason I am so high on the future of the Reds. I am not so sure that Arroyo's contract is going to look bad in 3 months but I agree right now it looks horrible. Otherwise I think Krivs deserves a lot of credit for building an organization that appears on paper to be 1-2 years away from being really really good.
    I think the argument would be stronger if he pointed to a *good* midmarket team with 5 or 6 millstones on their 25-man.

Fall short of a WS? Sure, but they have also gone 698-612 since 2000 while going to the playoffs 4 times in 8 years.
    Fall short of *any* postseason relevance.

Fall short of *any* postseason relevance.
    Postseason is almost all luck. Seriously, 2005 Cardinals?

Postseason is almost all luck.
    The excuse of the incapable.

The Twins had a great method. Where they fell short is they would never make that big move at the deadline to put them over the hump.

The excuse of the incapable.
    So tee it up for us...tell us what team has ever won the WS without luck?

If all it takes is someone capable then the Yankees should have won the series every year since the reign of terror began back in the 90's...they often had teams that were considered much more capable than their competition and still haven't won a WS in a while.
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

Turn Off Ads?