Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Krivsky Interview on 1530 HOMER

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Re: Krivsky Interview on 1530 HOMER

Quote Originally Posted by Stormy View Post
    P.S. The Marlins started the first twenty games of their 2003 World Series run at 9-11, so I'm sure you would have approved of scrapping that season 20 games in as well?
    Floridians don't know they have 2 baseball teams...

2. Turn Off Ads?

Yea, like Billy Beane and his "incapable" 90+ win per season average this millenium. I wonder if Bob Castellini, and his 72+ win franchise (over the same timespan) would take that type of insufficiency?
    Another example is the Atlanta Braves. Many years they went to the playoffs with a mediocre bullpen (like the Washed up Reardon as closer). Also, key bullpen arm McMichael seemed to be less effective in a playoff series.

Bobby Cox had a famous quote about the playoffs being a pure crapshoot, but I think he overlooked the fact that while the Braves were built great for the regular season, they were not built optimally for the playoffs.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

P.S. The Marlins started the first twenty games of their 2003 World Series run at 9-11, so I'm sure you would have approved of scrapping that season 20 games in as well?
    To be honest, I didn't follow the Marlins that closely that year, so I don't want to speak from an uninformed point of view. Obviously, that team had a lot of upside, and McKeon was able to bring it out of them. I'm afraid I'm not familiar enough with that Marlins team to do a blow by blow comparison of them vs this years' Reds. But I'd be interested in reading it if someone else does There is an interesting parallel though that the manager took the fall for the poor start as opposed to the GM, so Loria did get impatient with that start.

I'm of the opinion that 2007 sunk Wayne more than the first 20 games of this season, and that Wayne was on double probation after 2007 ended.

In any event, Wayne was on thin ice, and a combination of a poor start, percieved bad people skills, contract mistakes, disappointing ticket sales, and the projection of this team's W-L record this year (whether it was accurate or not) caused Cast to lose patience.

I also wonder if Arroyo's poor start had anything to do with Wayne's firing (or at least negatively influenced the projected W-L record)
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Man Pills

That Wayne had great success following the blueprint for small franchise success in Minnesota, the likes of which the Reds haven't tasted consistently in 30+ years???
    I want no part of the Minnesota model. But I could sign on for the much more aggressive method: the A's or Cardinals' model.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    the A's or Cardinals' model.
    I wouldn't mind a combo of the Cards/A's model.

They keep winning while they are reloading it seems.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

I want no part of the Minnesota model. But I could sign on for the much more aggressive method: the A's or Cardinals' model.
    Well, I would think Mr. Jocketty knows a thing or two about those - and in rare FCB agreeance, those are good models.

The excuse of the incapable.
    On this one FCB you're wrong. Getting there consistently, yeah that takes smart management. Winning once you get there...well some really great teams have been bounced from the playoffs, some really suspect teams have won once they got here. There is a ton of luck and timing involved. Much more than the regular season when the sheer length of the season tends to balance out streaks and luck.

I think you're just grumpy because you've been too right about too many problems this season.

edited: But Im with you...much rather the Cards or As method.

Is Krivsky saying he would return to the Reds organization as a scout or am I reading that wrong?

Talking to Krivsky

I finally talked to Wayne Krivsky today after playing phone tag for a day or two. He sounded good, obviously still disappointed. He wanted to clear up some things:

--No talks have gone on with Adam Dunn about an extension. No figures have been exchanged. Nothing.

--The Gary Majewski case reached Bud Selig's deck within the last month or so.

--He didn't reveal that A's picked up Rheal Cormier's $2 million salary as part of the trade for Chris Denorfia in order not to make Billy Beans look bad. That is classic Krivsky. He wouldn't throw the other guy under the bus, even though the local media -- me included -- continually mentioned the Cormier deal as one of the Krivsky's failure.

--He's been contacted by two clubs about jobs. My guess is he'll have one soon. "I wouldn't mind scouting the National League out of Great American Ball Ball Park," he said. "I'd be comfortable walking in there."

He's still thinking like a guy with budget to meet. I told him that all the front office people are here in St. Louis. I ran off the list. "Man, that's got to be costing a lot money to have them all there."

Communication was a big factor in him losing the job. He regretted not putting things in writing for CEO Bob Castellini. "I communicate on the phone or in person," Krivsky said. "He likes things in memos."

He talked wistfully of how things may have worked out with him staying as GM and Jocketty as team president.

"The relationship got better," he said. "Walt and I are 180 degrees different as far as style but we're close as far as baseball philosophy. Walt may be able to do a better job of managing Bob."

http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/redsinsider/

Could be, but didn't Leyland scout for the Cards out of Pittsburgh, or am I remembering wrong?

So maybe what he's saying is he'd like to be an NL scout and stay in Cincy.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

--He didn't reveal that A's picked up Rheal Cormier's $2 million salary as part of the trade for Chris Denorfia in order not to make Billy Beans look bad. That is classic Krivsky. He wouldn't throw the other guy under the bus, even though the local media -- me included -- continually mentioned the Cormier deal as one of the Krivsky's failure.
    Gotta respect that -- a lot.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

Gotta love John Fay ... boy this was painful to read ...

--The Gary Majewski case reached Bud Selig's deck within the last month or so.
    So now the Majewski case is outside on the deck; is it Bud's elaborate back porch? Maybe Bud's going to be sitting on the porch grilling out and having a beer as he reviews the case. Heck, maybe he'll throw the case in the fire as his steaks are simmering.

Does chili come with those Billy Beans?

Seriously, the number one rule of journalism is do not spell anybody's name wrong.

--He's been contacted by two clubs about jobs. My guess is he'll have one soon. "I wouldn't mind scouting the National League out of Great American Ball Ball Park," he said. "I'd be comfortable walking in there."
    Two balls, eh?
    Barry Larkin - HOF, 2012

Put an end to the Lost Decade.

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

And yet, now that he's out of the GM seat, he has no problem revealing it. Is it that he didn't want to throw Beane under the bus or that he didn't want to aggravate a potential trading partner?

Looks like self-interest wearing the coat of benevolence to me. Beane's reputation did not stop being an issue just because Krivsky lost his job. Character is about what you do when nobody's looking.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    And yet, now that he's out of the GM seat, he does it less than a week later. Is it that he didn't want to throw Beane under the bus or that he didn't want to aggravate a potential trading partner?

Looks like self-interest wearing the coat of benevolence to me. Character is what you do when nobody's looking.
    Or he could have spoken to Beane and asked if he could mention it. Dude is out of a job, and obviously still wants one. My fear is he's the next GM of the Pirates.
    Suck it up cupcake.

I mentioned it in another thread, and I know it's unlikely Krivsky would accept, but I'd love for the Reds to keep him on as a scout. I think the Reds would really benefit from that.

smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

I think what WK meant is he would have no problem sitting in GABP scouting games while working for another team.
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

Turn Off Ads?