Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Matt LaPorta

Matt LaPorta

is a guy I'd really like to see the Reds pursue. Equipped with enormous power potential, he basically projects as a right-handed Adam Dunn. Interestingly, he is 22 years old, has mashed the ball since being drafted last year, and he is blocked in Milwaukee by Ryan Braun, Corey Hart, and Prince Fielder.

I know there are a lot of people who say big trades don't happen within the division, and a lot more that would say there's no way the Brewers give this guy up regardless of who is blocking him (a la Taylor Teagarden.)

However, I disagree with both of these assumptions. I think this is a guy we should be looking at, especially if Dunn's future with the club remains clouded. The problem is, what would Milwaukee want? They don't seem to have too many holes. If they lose Sheets to free agency, maybe they would be in the market for starting pitching? Maybe if Arroyo could string together some good starts, (and he has a long way to go before he does that,) a package of Bronson Arroyo and Juan Francisco could be a good start? Thoughts/suggestions?
    Go BLUE!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Matt LaPorta

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    is a guy I'd really like to see the Reds pursue. Equipped with enormous power potential, he basically projects as a right-handed Adam Dunn, except he is 22 years old and blocked in Milwaukee by Ryan Braun, Corey Hart, and Prince Fielder.

I know there are a lot of people who say big trades don't happen within the division, and a lot more that would say there's no way the Brewers give this guy up regardless of who is blocking him (a la Taylor Teagarden.)

However, I disagree with both of these assumptions. I think this is a guy we should be looking at, especially if Dunn's future with the club remains clouded. The problem is, what would Milwaukee want? They don't seem to have too many holes. If they lose Sheets to free agency, maybe they would be in the market for starting pitching? Maybe if Arroyo could string together some good starts, (and he has a long way to go before he does that,) a package of Bronson Arroyo and Juan Francisco could be a good start? Thoughts/suggestions?
    They ain't trading him, especially to Cincy.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    They ain't trading him, especially to Cincy.
    But what are they going to do? Fielder, Braun, and Hart figure to be locked into their positions for many years to come. Just as the Braves did with Saltalamacchia, I figure they have to give in at some point.
    Go BLUE!!!

But what are they going to do? Fielder, Braun, and Hart figure to be locked into their positions for many years to come. Just as the Braves did with Saltalamacchia, I figure they have to give in at some point.
    I think they drafted him knowing they could trade him for anything they would want in 08 or 09. Drafting LaPorta was like a "wild card" in a card game. He is good for anything. If they need a starting catcher, they could trade him for a decent catcher (Teagarden type), if they need a starting pitcher, they could trade for a Homer Bailey type. If Prince, Hart, Braun, or Hall doesn't continue success, then they keep him. I think it will be a great pick, that I personally criticized when it happened.

Quote Originally Posted by TOBTTReds View Post
    I think they drafted him knowing they could trade him for anything they would want in 08 or 09. Drafting LaPorta was like a "wild card" in a card game. He is good for anything. If they need a starting catcher, they could trade him for a decent catcher (Teagarden type), if they need a starting pitcher, they could trade for a Homer Bailey type. If Prince, Hart, Braun, or Hall doesn't continue success, then they keep him. I think it will be a great pick, that I personally criticized when it happened.
    Great, and I'd love to be the team that trades for him. If it cost Homer Bailey, it's something I'd at least have to consider.
    Go BLUE!!!

I wouldn't assume that Hart is locked in for years to come. I have never thought Hart was anything more than an average at best RF. In reality if LaPorta is an Adam Dunn type right handed bat I would think they would move Hart in a heartbeat.

They need pitching.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    They need pitching.
    So send them Homer.

Toss in Stubbs for good measure.

And this is why you cannot just flat-out draft the BPA every time with no regard to positions. It makes sense in many instances, but sometimes you have to look at the bigger picture.

Obviously one of these guys can be traded, but since MIL is in a bit of a bind they might not get full value for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    So send them Homer.

Toss in Stubbs for good measure.
    Yup. I'd try something like that, were I Jocketty. Worst they can do is say "no".

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    And this is why you cannot just flat-out draft the BPA every time with no regard to positions. It makes sense in many instances, but sometimes you have to look at the bigger picture.

Obviously one of these guys can be traded, but since MIL is in a bit of a bind they might not get full value for them.
    Especially if it's a college bat.

I'd rather have Clement and make him the catcher ... he ought to be available since they are supposedly giving Johjima a 3 year extension. Offer 'em Jr and something else.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Yup. I'd try something like that, were I Jocketty. Worst they can do is say "no".
    Actually, the worst they may do is say "yes".

Trading for a poor fielding LF with high upside starting pitching and CF prospects can backfire in a hurry.

If I'm trading Bailey, I want a SS or catcher in return.

Difference of opinion there, puffy.

I like Bailey, but who knows what he will be. Same for Stubbs.

LaPorta feels to me like more a sure thing, at this point. But, really, there very few guarantees with this kind of prospect for prospect deal, should it come off. That's why I was so intrigued by Minny and Tampa's Garza for Young deal this past off-season...

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Difference of opinion there, puffy.

I like Bailey, but who knows what he will be. Same for Stubbs.

LaPorta feels to me like more a sure thing, at this point. But, really, there very few guarantees with this kind of prospect for prospect deal, should it come off. That's why I was so intrigued by Minny and Tampa's Garza for Young deal this past off-season...
    The Reds aren't going to improve trading two high upside "skill" prospects for one high upside non-skill propsect.

A great fielding CF with an .800 OPS is a regular for life.

A .800 OPS poor fielding LF is a part time player.

Turn Off Ads?