Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chris Welsh

Chris Welsh

Have you noticed since they started using Thom B. and Cowboy more that Welsh has changed in his style of color commentary. 10 years ago he was hokey like Grande making obvious non-threatening comments. I hardly ever heard him disagree with Grande or question a manager, but listening to games this year I have actually heard some things from Welsh that were not that bad. I think he has gotten better (not great by any means) because of competition. Grande on the other hand..........."And coming up next on the Best Sports Show Period..." Can someone tell George he can say Damn when it is in a title.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Chris Welsh

Does anyone know why they call him "The Creeper"?

I can't believe we have another thread complaining about Grande for not cussing on t.v. My kids watch the games and I appreciate it very much. Thom B. doesn't say it either but I have never heard anyone complain about that.

I am sorry but every commercial break mentions the BEST DAMN SPORTS SHOW PERIOD by name. I just think it sounds hokey for him not to say Damn. If he doesn't want to say it, refuse to do the promo. You are gonna hear the word Damn every game. Grande just doesn't say it. I find it weird. I am not condoning vulgarity, but it is the name of the show. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by tommycash View Post
    I am sorry but every commercial break mentions the BEST DAMN SPORTS SHOW PERIOD by name. I just think it sounds hokey for him not to say Damn. If he doesn't want to say it, refuse to do the promo. You are gonna hear the word Damn every game. Grande just doesn't say it. I find it weird. I am not condoning vulgarity, but it is the name of the show. Sorry.
    I know, I try not to watch the commercials. I usually tivo the games and fast forward through them.

As James stated, Thom B doesnt say it either. If you have MLB EI , you will notice many announcers of other teams dont say it so it isnt by no means just George !

Anyway do you guys think Chris has changed? I do and I think it it for the better.

Anyway do you guys think Chris has changed? I do and I think it it for the better.
    I think Chris has improved for the better also. Sometimes though he seems to be too objective or whatever the word is. In other words no matter what George/Thom say, it is "Yeah but..."

I actually respect them for not saying it, if that's their conscious. I don't have any problem with "Damn" in that title, but if they don't feel it's right, more power to them. Don't see why it matters one way or another.

Right, I have noticed that too. Sometimes he is arguing for arguments sake. I think he is trying to stand out to keep his job. He has been the only color man on tv for a while and now Cowboy is here, so that could be why we are seeing a change is Chris.

Just my opinion..I have nothing really to base it on but I suspect Thom and Chris dont get along real well.

Hatteberg is Sean Casey

1. As previoulsy mentioned, none of the Reds announcers ay "damn" so it is not just George.

2. Chris has definately shown more of a propensity to disagree with the play by play guys this year. Also I have noticed he is more critical of teh team then in the past where he would have tried making excuses for the players. I don't hink it has as much to do with Brantley and Thom B. rubbing off on him as it does he is a die hard Reds fan and sick of watching this team lose while making the same mistakes year after year. It wares on you.

3.Although I don't care for the positive spin that George G. puts on everything, with Brantly,THom, MArty, and Chris all telling it like it is - he does help to balance out teh negativity.

4.I agree with Butler - the creeper and THom B. aren't the best of friends I sense. Although I think it has gotten better. Last year you could really tell there was some animosity there and it was real akward at first.
    "YES! He rips it. Is it high enough? It's gonna be gone! Adam Dunn has done it again. Big #44 can take all day to round the bases here, thats done and gone- lookout dunner they're waitin for ya at home plate." - George Grand

"Did that just happen?" - Chris Welsch

C-Bus (Columbus OH for non-Jim Rome fans)

As far as saying Damn for Best Damn...it used to bother me, but it appears most people appreciate it not being said on the broadcasts..so I'm cool with it now...by the way, why doesnt FSN just put that dog down??? Best Damn hasnt been any good for years and it wasnt that good of a show to start....as for "The Creeper"...I like how he has started to become more opinionated and less of a "yesman"--in fact, I've like listening to him and Marty the few times Chris has been in the radio booth....and I agree it is obvious Chris and Thom dont seem to like each other.....no chemistry at all.

Quote Originally Posted by reds_bengals1 View Post
    Does anyone know why they call him "The Creeper"?
    Dude, you don't want to know.

Chris really is not bad George brings him down a level though
    "When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail"

Turn Off Ads?