Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Seattle newspaper: Struggling Mariners contemplating pursuit of Griffey?

Seattle newspaper: Struggling Mariners contemplating pursuit of Griffey?

Notebook: Mariners manager nearing wit's end
    McLaren unhappy with inconsistent play out of gate
    By GARY WASHBURN
    P-I REPORTER

Friday was not the first time Mariners manager John McLaren acknowledged the heightened expectations of his club. It is, however, the first time that he admitted his patience is beginning to dissipate.

After dropping the opener of this weekend's important series with the A's on Friday, the Mariners are 11-13, four games behind Oakland and Anaheim in the American League West. Seattle is 12th in the AL in batting average, 12th in on-base percentage and eighth in home runs. Meanwhile, the club passed on an opportunity to boost its lineup with free agent Frank Thomas, who batted fourth for the A's on Friday.

McLaren said Friday that he will soon address his team about the urgency of the season, as a means of erasing the inconsistency. Of course, the Mariners have been bothered by injuries while a handful of players -- Kenji Johjima, Richie Sexson, Jose Vidro and Brad Wilkerson -- have struggled at the plate.

"We need to start playing consistent baseball," McLaren said. "I am going to get them all together and tighten some things up. I think everybody knows the bar has been set higher for everybody, and we had some challenges with J.J. (Putz) out and we handled that, and now we need to start playing a good all-around game. We can't play it in segments."

One position of concern is designated hitter, where the Mariners are 10th in the AL with a .209 average and 12th in slugging percentage. There had been speculation that the club would consider bringing in a big bat to replace Vidro, who did deliver a two-run double in Thursday's 8-7 loss to the Baltimore Orioles.

One eventual candidate could be Ken Griffey Jr., who is batting .256 with four homers and 15 RBIs for the Reds, who may begin a roster overhaul with the hiring of former St. Louis Cardinals general manager Walt Jocketty to replace the fired Wayne Krvisky. Cincinnati appears stuck in the middle of rebuilding with new manager Dusty Baker and attempting to compete in the wide-open National League Central.

Griffey is in the final year of that seven-year deal he negotiated with the Reds after his trade demand from Seattle. He is scheduled to earn $12.5 million this season and has a $16.5 million option for 2009 that can be bought out at $4 million.

The Mariners just invested $24 million over three seasons for Johjima, who has been slumping this season. The question is whether the Mariners want to pay a potentially hefty price for Griffey to return or if they will wait until later in the season.

McLaren said he wants his players currently in the clubhouse to produce and begin their run toward the AL West title.

"We're at the point in the season now where we've got our feet on the ground, and now we need to start running," McLaren said. "I've been happy with the effort, and the execution I have not been happy with. I just think a little better concentration, a little better participation and we'll be a lot better off. That's the message I'd like to send. I am ready for us to put everything behind us and just take off and play winning baseball."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Seattle newspaper: Struggling Mariners contemplating pursuit of Griffey?

Please make it stop.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Actually might make a ton of sense to send Jr to SEA for Clement. We bring up Bruce to replace Jr and get the catcher we need.

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyenut View Post
    Actually might make a ton of sense to send Jr to SEA for Clement. We bring up Bruce to replace Jr and get the catcher we need.
    It makes a lot of sense to send Fogg to Houstan for Oswald too....

BTW, Clement isn't ready to catch in the major leagues (literally he couldn't even be passable). He's an offensive answer (though he's another lefty) but not an answer for catcher.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

My bet is they'll likely want us to take Johjima instead. If we have to eat most of Jr's contract then yes, I insist on Clement. I wonder if Jr will accept a trade to somewhere that plans to use him as a DH. Actually Jr could play RF for Seattle too. Even he is better all around over Wilkerson.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    My bet is they'll likely want us to take Johjima instead. If we have to eat most of Jr's contract then yes, I insist on Clement. I wonder if Jr will accept a trade to somewhere that plans to use him as a DH. Actually Jr could play RF for Seattle too. Even he is better all around over Wilkerson.
    They like Johjima. They like Clement.

They don't want Jr. Jr doesn't want them. It's a match made in....well, no where.

What? Clement or Johjima (who the M's just extended) for Ken Griffey Junior? Why in the world would Seattle even consider something like that?
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

They wouldn't.

This is nothing but a fantasy that seemingly HAS to be tossed out every year.

Really the thread title should be: "local Seattle writer struggling to some up with copy contemplates Jr'.

If Griffey starts to hit a little and the Mariners stay close but need some more pop at DH, this could happen. But I wouldn't expect much in return. Because Griffey has little trade value, I'd expect Jocketty to deal Dunn before Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    If Griffey starts to hit a little and the Mariners stay close but need some more pop at DH, this could happen. But I wouldn't expect much in return. Because Griffey has little trade value, I'd expect Jocketty to deal Dunn before Jr.
    I could see Dunn to Seattle before Jr though I don't know which teams Dunn put on his list.

Seattle is just the kind of FO that would be willing to throw moola long term at Dunn while letting him remain in left and they'd probably trip over their tongues to do so because he's a lefty.

Ichiro and Dunn together would be priceless too.... some of the quotes that would come out of Seattle would be extraordinary.

Dunn+long term deal to Seattle with Wlad coming to the Reds in a deadline deal. Maybe that has something greater than a negative chance of happening.

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Please make it stop.
    The "Griffey To Seattle" rumors surfaced at least three times last year:

May
    June
    July

Quote Originally Posted by macro View Post
    The "Griffey To Seattle" rumors surfaced at least three times last year:

May
    June
    July
    I think there is a drinking game called "Jr to Seattle Rumor". I refer all those who are tempted to entertain "Jr to Seattle" to watch how Larry Boy deals with the Rumor Weed.....

Last edited by jojo; 04-26-2008 at 10:05 AM.

I wish the Reds would send him packing. The time has passed, but it's better late than never. Jay Bruce needs to be in right field ASAP.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Trade him straight up for Wladimir Balentien. Call Bruce up. Let the winning commence.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Turn Off Ads?