Turn Off Ads?
Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official 2008 NFL Draft Thread

Re: The Official 2008 NFL Draft Thread

Simpson instead of Sweed or Kelly? That isn't even factoring in Laws or Groves...

and the beat seems to go on..

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Fanatic View Post
    Jerome Simpson WR Coastal Carolina is the Bengals 2nd round pick
    Unless I missed something, DeSean Jackson was still on the board, right?

Damn I want to root for another team. I'm sick of being a Bungle fan.

Here is a scouting report on Simpson:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/jerome-simpson?id=318

Analysis
    Positives: Has a lean torso with room to add at least another 10 pounds of bulk without having that weight impact his overall quickness...Shows very good elevation to go over the crowd and reach and extend for the pass at its highest point...Demonstrates good fakes and twisting moves to force the defensive backs to come out of backpedal too early and does a nice job of redirecting coming out of his breaks to take the opponent off-balance...Shows great concentration, natural hands and ball security, doing a good job of shielding the ball from the defender...Compensates for a lack of blazing speed with precise route running and very good plant-and-drive agility...His flexibility and balance in his running stride helps him in attempts to separate after the catch...Has outstanding reach and arm length to get to off-target throws and shows excellent body control keeping his feet along the boundaries...Slippery route-runner with the loose hips to change direction without having to break stride...Competitive, intense player with a very good grasp of the playbook, showing the vision to quickly locate the soft areas in the zone...Sinks his weight and lowers his pads to settle in underneath much better as a senior than he did in the past (would take soft angle cuts or fail to sit in the soft spots)...Instinctive route runner who does a nice job of working back when the quarterback is in trouble...Won't explode off the line, but has a decent initial burst to generate movement and get into his routes...Perfect role model for the team's younger players with his work ethic and takes well to hard coaching...Has an array of moves to fool a lethargic defender in attempts to beat the press...Shows good route progression acceleration and can stretch the defense with the way he comes out of his breaks cleanly...Works hard to uncover and shows the hand-eye coordination, along with timing and excellent leaping ability to pluck the ball away from his framework...When going up for the high pass, his superb elevation will generally see him win most jump balls...Maintains tremendous focus going for the ball in a crowd and is known for making acrobatic catches look routine...Might have greatest reach and biggest hands of any receiver in the 2008 draft...Shows smoothness in his running stride and the flexibility to snatch the ball and then set up the defender in attempts to separate...His high-point receiving skills are superior to most receivers in the college ranks.

Negatives: Needs to improve his overall strength and add muscle tone to his frame, as he has skinny thighs and marginal muscle tone in his upper body...More quick than fast, but compensates with precise moves and good lateral agility...Lacks a sudden burst to surprise defenders coming off the snap...Can shield a smaller defender, but his lack of strength makes him susceptible to getting over-run by the bigger defenders when blocking inline...Runs crisp short-area routes, but will sometimes drift or round his cuts attacking the deep seam...Does not have that explosive second gear to separate, but shows the moves, especially when twisting, to break free from the initial tackle...Will use his slippery moves to separate, but does not have the burst to win long distance foot races.

Compares To: T.J. HOUSHMANDZADEH-Cincinnati...Like Houshmandzadeh and the Colts' Reggie Wayne, Simpson gets outstanding elevation going for the ball in a crowd. He needs to add more bulk and improve his overall strength, but he has incredible arm length and large, natural hands, along with outstanding elevation to get to the ball at its highest point. Due to a lack of blazing speed, he might be a better fit playing the slot, but he shows great field vision and boundary awareness, as his change-of-direction agility and array of moves surprise the defense in attempts to separate.

Injury Report
    No injuries reported.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    Unless I missed something, DeSean Jackson was still on the board, right?
    Jackson was still on the board, Malcolm Kelly was still on the board.

Do teams no something about Sweed, Jackson, and Kelly that no one else does? Those three were projected to be three of the top four receivers but they're in free fall. Might they have been overrated playing for "power" schools?

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

It's official.

Joke of an organization.

Take a WR that would have been available two to three rounds later.

Only the Bungals.

I will laugh as they suck this year. Bye, Marvin. You are not very bright.

That's not the guy we needed. He doesn't have the speed. We needed somebody to go opposite of TJ, that has the speed to beat man on man coverage.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg View Post
    It's official.

Joke of an organization.

Take a WR that would have been available two to three rounds later.

Only the Bungals.

I will laugh as they suck this year. Bye, Marvin. You are not very bright.
    It's truly pathetic.

Man I wish I could say what I really think about Mike Brown right now.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

COASTAL CAROLINA.

AHH HAAA HAA HAAA.

Hilarious.

we cannot draft for value to save our life. There are tons of WR left, and we go now?
    "You're drunk again. No, I'm just exhausted 'cause I've been up all night drinking."
    Peter Griffin

Clearly a reaction to Henry and CJ. Scouting report sounds good. However, is this a guy they could have gotten tomorrow?
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

So they didn't even draft one of the better WRs?
    I guess we should hope they can find a good DT later.

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    Clearly a reaction to Henry and CJ. Scouting report sounds good. However, is this a guy they could have gotten tomorrow?
    Yes. Completely ridiculous pick. Does ESPN even have any video of the guy?

LMAO

that is the problem. Even if you LOVE this guy, he is going to be there several rounds later. Just so f'n stupid. THis is someone we will sign for CHEAP, and that is your reason bengals fans.
    "You're drunk again. No, I'm just exhausted 'cause I've been up all night drinking."
    Peter Griffin

Turn Off Ads?