Turn Off Ads?
Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 61213141516

Thread: Jimmy Fallon to take over for Conan O'Brien

Re: Jimmy Fallon to take over for Conan O'Brien

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Leno's ratings have not rebounded. They are the lowest they have been since 1992. On the other hand, Letterman's ratings haven't improved either.

http://tv.yahoo.com/the-tonight-show...ngs-since-1992
    Looks like NBC's mess has gotten messier. Serves them right.

I was a regular Leno viewer before he "retired" and Conan took over, but since he returned, I have just had no interest in his show. It's not that I'm consciously boycotting it or anything, I'm just indifferent to it. To me it's kinda like the "new Coke" of the 80s. It was good, they did away with it, now they're trying to bring it back. It's not working.

Having Kevin Eubanks and his band leave isn't going to help, either. The rapport between Jay and Kevin was part of the appeal of the show, and now that's gone, too.

Haven't been a regular Letterman viewer in years. These days I check the on-screen guide to see who the guests are going to be for Leno, Letterman, and Fallon and record only when the guest is interesting.

Back to the original point, I think NBC underestimated the fallout of their decision. A lot of people who used to like and watch Jay and Conan aren't going to watch Jay, anymore.

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Craig Kilborn has a new show on Fox. The Kilborn File at 11EST.

I love Kilborn, but I don't understand some of the choices he's made. Why would he give up the Late Late Show just to come back and do this show on Fox? I can't imagine he's getting as much money as he was making on CBS.

Maybe he really did want to retire, but lost a lot of money in the market in the last two years and now has to work? I don't know, just seems odd.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

The Tonight Show with Conan O'Brian recieved an Emmy Nomination this morning for Variety Show, etc. Leno and Letterman did not. Letterman is usually nominated every year, I think the same goes for Leno.

Quote Originally Posted by RBA View Post
    The Tonight Show with Conan O'Brian recieved an Emmy Nomination this morning for Variety Show, etc. Leno and Letterman did not. Letterman is usually nominated every year, I think the same goes for Leno.
    I hope it wins.

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

Quote Originally Posted by RBA View Post
    Conan responded to the nomination with this tweet:

Congrats to my staff on 4 Emmy nominations. This bodes well for the future of The Tonight Show with Conan O'Brien.
    My name is Cheesy Beef Burrito

So how long will Leno give Fallon before trying to take the show back again?

A new rumor claims that NBC is planning to announce in May that the 2013-14 television season will be Leno's last.
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...ay-leno-425669
    Go Gators!

8. Likes:

Chip R (03-02-2013)

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    So how long will Leno give Fallon before trying to take the show back again?

A new rumor claims that NBC is planning to announce in May that the 2013-14 television season will be Leno's last.
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...ay-leno-425669
    Three weeks. Tops.

They should just bring Conan back.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

11. Likes:

Tom Servo (03-05-2013)

Fallon will do well. Conan was doomed, and after his current contract is up in 2014, TBS will cut him. He has terrible ratings. TBS got rid of George Lopez because he was drawing only 900,000 viewers, and recently Conan is at 800,000.

I dunno, I think Conan's problem is what is on before his show, Family Guy and Big Bang reruns, oh and TV shows that were complete failures on other networks.
    Go Gators!

Here's an article stating that Big Bang Theory was purchased at very high cost thinking it could keep his ratings up...

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/liv...ar-plan-224911

"While O'Brien's audience has declined, the cable network has paid for marquee content to protect its investment, the Journal said in highlighting that TBS next month will start airing repeats of CBS hit The Big Bang Theory as a lead-in to Conan two nights a week. It cited an estimated price tag of $2 million per episode."

Here's another article

http://mediadecoder.blogs.nytimes.co...-through-2014/

"TBS has found the most-compatible lead-in programming for the show since Mr. O’Brien’s arrival — reruns of the hit comedy “The Big Bang Theory.”

The fact of the matter is that Conan has lower rating then what got Lopez canned and he's way more expensive. He doesn't get renewed in 2014 unless he takes a massive paycut.

Big fan of Conan, but to be honest he isn't one for the masses. He had found his niche at 1230 with the late night crazies watching. I don't know if he will ever be successful again, as compared to his 1230 show on NBC. He was a perfect fit.

But to some degree I have to think the whole late night show premise of mostly pimping celebrity interviews might be fading away. Stewart and Colbert have the right formula now.

Conan might try being funny. But I'm thinking that if he had that in his bag of tricks, he would have pulled it out a long time ago.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Big fan of Conan, but to be honest he isn't one for the masses. He had found his niche at 1230 with the late night crazies watching. I don't know if he will ever be successful again, as compared to his 1230 show on NBC. He was a perfect fit.

But to some degree I have to think the whole late night show premise of mostly pimping celebrity interviews might be fading away. Stewart and Colbert have the right formula now.
    I agree and I'm amazed that he's been able to parlay that niche into bidding wars for his services and ultimately big bucks. I have no problem with guys like Letterman and Leno who earn their money through ratings but I'm stumped that Conan got so much money from NBC and TBS for some ratings that they dreamed he'd get

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Conan might try being funny. But I'm thinking that if he had that in his bag of tricks, he would have pulled it out a long time ago.
    Well there's no question whether he's funny or not. It's just not for everyone. I don't watch the show and am not much of a fan but Conan is very funny and understands comedy. Maybe it's the format that turns me off, I don't really know. One of the funniest podcast episodes I've ever heard was Conan on Jimmy Pardo's Pardcast. Hysterical.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Turn Off Ads?