Thread: Jimmy Fallon to take over for Conan O'Brien

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Jimmy Fallon to take over for Conan O'Brien

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/...f9efbc66?imw=Y

By Nellie Andreeva and Kimberly Nordyke

April 24, 2008
    UPDATED 6:16 p.m PT April 24, 2008

After months of speculation, Jimmy Fallon has sealed a deal to succeed "Late Night" host Conan O'Brien on NBC in 2009, sources said.

O'Brien, whose show airs at 12:35 a.m., is moving into the 11:35 p.m. slot next year after "Tonight Show" host Jay Leno's retirement, which was announced in 2004.

NBC is expected to make the announcement May 12 during its upfront event in New York.

The deal gives Fallon and "Late Night" executive producer Lorne Michaels enough time to assemble a team and prepare for Fallon's takeover after O'Brien's departure, expected in January.

It is not clear whether "Late Night" with Fallon will stay at Studio 6A at New York's 30 Rock, but it is probable as O'Brien will be moving to the new "Tonight Show" home at Universal Studios' Stage One.

NBC declined comment Thursday.

Fallon's new gig as "Late Night" host stems from a development deal he inked with NBC in early 2007.

The move further cements NBC's late-night transition that also is making Leno a highly sought-after free agent, with ABC and Fox reportedly already circling the top-rated late-night host. Meanwhile, NBC Universal is trying to keep him in the company fold with a new show.

For the second time, "Saturday Night Live" chief Michaels -- whose company Broadway Video co-produces "Late Night" with Universal Media Studios -- has gone with an "SNL" alum to front the late-night talker. In 1993, Michaels tapped former "SNL" writer O'Brien as the inaugural host.

Fallon has more onscreen experience, having co-starred on "SNL" and co-hosted its "Weekend Update" segment. He also toplined several features, including the comedies "Fever Pitch" and "Taxi."

Additionally, Fallon, repped by CAA and Management 360, served as a guest host for CBS' "Late Show With David Letterman" in 2003.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Re: Jimmy Fallon to take over for Conan O'Brien

This just in: NBC to cancel "Late Night" in March, 2009.

What a horrible choice, but then Conan on the Tonight Show is also going to be a disaster
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    What a horrible choice, but then Conan on the Tonight Show is also going to be a disaster
    Says who? Leno is okay, but Conan is another league. Dude is hilarious.

Fallon's a hack. I have no idea how he ever got a gig on SNL.

Maybe there going in a different direction, you know, away from "funny."

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post

Yeah, I guess "painfully lame" is the new "funny".
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    Well, then they've got a hit.

I liked his performance in Fever Pitch, but I don't think he'll be able to translate well to late night tv.

Quote Originally Posted by GoReds33 View Post
    I liked his performance in Fever Pitch, but I don't think he'll be able to translate well to late night tv.
    He and the Farrelly brothers ruined that movie for me. I liked it much better with Colin Firth following Arsenal (like the book). Of course it is fun to annoy Red Sox fans by bringing up Jimmy Fallon. Their first World Series in all those years and the triumphant moment is marred by a love a Jimmy Fallon love scene.

I think Fallon's problem will be that he won't be able to make it through a segment without laughing at his own jokes. I have a feeling there's more truth to his stoner character than the public knows.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

It was physically painful to have to watch him do the Weekend Update on SNL
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

At least the new job will keep Jimmy from doing comedy.
    /r/reds

He will undoubtedly suck. Here's the thing though: He's going up against someone who sucks just as hard as he does: Craig Ferguson.

It'll be one big suck-fest all around.

VIVA JIMMY KIMMEL!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    He will undoubtedly suck. Here's the thing though: He's going up against someone who sucks just as hard as he does: Craig Ferguson.

It'll be one big suck-fest all around.
    Bring back Kilborn! I wonder if there is any chance of Craiggers taking over for Letterman when he retires?
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    Bring back Kilborn! I wonder if there is any chance of Craiggers taking over for Letterman when he retires?
    Letterman will never retire. He'll do that show until the day he dies, at which point he'll be replaced with a Letterman Automatron Robot.

Turn Off Ads?