Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Jimmy Fallon to take over for Conan O'Brien

Lakewood Ranch, FL (by way of Columbus, OH)

Re: Jimmy Fallon to take over for Conan O'Brien

Terrible pick... A reason to shut off the tv for the night.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I wonder if he'll sit and laugh at his own jokes.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Narron View Post
    I wonder if he'll sit and laugh at his own jokes.
    If he can make it to the punchline.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

I dislike Jimmy Fallon more than almost any other character ever on SNL.

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

None of these guys can top Johnny Carson. But while Carson wasn't a great stand-up comedian or writer, his show was the best. I believe it's because he was great at the most basic element of the show: the interview. Of all the people mentioned in this thread, Letterman is the most like Carson when it comes to the interview. Carson had some funny bits (that would be too tame by today's standards) but most of the time it was his reaction in the bits that made them better.

Honestly, rarely watch any of the late-night shows anymore. Leno is a terrible interviewer. Conan's show always seemed like he was a college kid doing a public access show. Letterman seemed like he stopped caring.

Quote Originally Posted by improbus View Post
    Everyone knew that the Cone Zone was funny, but he had to adjust because he was never on TV before.

Fallon was already on TV and was very forgettable as a whole. He is kind of like a less childish version of Dane Cook, who is equally not funny.

Is he going to get Horatio Sanz to sit with him and laugh for an hour?
    I don't see the Fallon/Cook parallel.

Quote Originally Posted by TC81190 View Post
    I like Conan, but I think his act lends itself better to Late Night than a "primetime" late night show.
    The barometer for primetime late night television is Johnny Carson. And people may disagree with me, but I think Conan is a lot more similar to Carson than Leno is.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Rumors are swirling around Hollywood that NBC wants to replace Conan with Jerry Seinfeld on The Tonight Show. I certainly hope this doesn't happen, because Conan is absolutely hilarious. My wife is the toughest crowd for a comedian I've ever seen, and he even makes her laugh. The return of Andy Richter has made the show even better.

As it is now, I DVR Conan every night, just to see what he's going to do or say. It makes no difference who's on the guest list. I only record Leno, Letterman, and Fallon depending on who the guest is going to be, and it's rare that it's anyone I'm interested in hearing or seeing. If Seinfeld does replace Conan, The Tonight Show falls down to the ranks of "watch only if convenient to do so", along with the rest of them, for me.

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Man, Conan losing the job would S-U-C-K.... SUCK.

I like Conan, but his style is not one that's going to appeal to the masses. He had a nice niche following when he was on later, but now that he has to hold onto the mainstream, large audience, I think his style is too polarizing. I'd hate to see him leave late night altogether, but I admit that I think Seinfeld doing the Tonight Show could be really good.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    I like Conan, but his style is not one that's going to appeal to the masses. He had a nice niche following when he was on later, but now that he has to hold onto the mainstream, large audience, I think his style is too polarizing. I'd hate to see him leave late night altogether, but I admit that I think Seinfeld doing the Tonight Show could be really good.
    Maybe, but they said this about both Letterman and Leno early on. Letterman was considered too irreverent, and Leno didn't seem to have the cache a year or two after Carson left. Both are still gainfully employed years later. Leno, IMO, turned into a major kiss-ass, and I find his current show unwatchable. Nonetheless, he won the mainstream of America despite being very different from his predecessor.

I think Seinfeld would be a horrible long term choice. First of all, even if he can be funny on a nightly basis (not easy to do - much harder then telling the same jokes every night as a standup guy), he'll probably be bored with the job in a year or two.

If NBC goes for the big name, they will regret it.
    Stick to your guns.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

I find it ironic that NBC wants to bail on Conan and replace him with Seinfeld when, back when the show "Seinfeld" was on, there was pressure to bail on that early when it failed to find it's audience quickly.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

and Craig Ferguson sits victorious.
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

The problem is that Conan's audience is Dave's audience. Letterman fans probably switched over to see Conan at 12:30 and aren't leaving Dave to watch Conan at the same time.

I hope NBC gives him more time, though. Maybe boot Andy.

Turn Off Ads?