Turn Off Ads?
Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Jimmy Fallon to take over for Conan O'Brien

Re: Jimmy Fallon to take over for Conan O'Brien

Silver lining in the cloud to all of this, this should finally lead to the end of Last Call with Carson Daly.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Sounds like NBC just continues to screw things up. It sounds like they are trying to keep everyone happy which is what got them in this mess to begin with. I think they have to realize that someone is going to get the short end of the stick and then pull the plug on that guy.

And what in the world are they going to put on every night at 10 pm? Barney Miller re-runs?
    The Seinfeld cast could use the work.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Tonight on Conan:

"Guys, guys -- settle down...otherwise this monolgue won't start until 12:05."

"Hi, I'm Conan O'Brien -- new host of 'Last Call with Carson Daly'"

Brutal. And I love it.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    Barney Miller is STILL a good show
    No kidding. Give me a Barney Miller rerun over any of these late night talk show hosts any time.

For the record, I like Barney Miller too. Because of the odd way my brain works, it was the first show I could think of to put on.

I saw where Southland is on TNT now. NBC should have kept it in its Thurs. 10 pm slot. It is very good.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    I saw where Southland is on TNT now. NBC should have kept it in its Thurs. 10 pm slot. It is very good.

I thought I read somewhere where NBC has already cancelled it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I thought I read somewhere where NBC has already cancelled it.
    It is canceled but TNT is going to replay the 7 episodes from last seen plus the first 6 that are already filmed for this season. After that, who knows?
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Quote Originally Posted by TC81190 View Post
    Silver lining in the cloud to all of this, this should finally lead to the end of Last Call with Carson Daly.
    Amen.
    My name is Cheesy Beef Burrito

Conan has released a statement saying he will not do the Tonight Show at 12:05 am. NBC is really shooting themselves in the foot with this whole situation, what a shame.

People of Earth:

In the last few days, I’ve been getting a lot of sympathy calls, and I want to start by making it clear that no one should waste a second feeling sorry for me. For 17 years, I’ve been getting paid to do what I love most and, in a world with real problems, I’ve been absurdly lucky. That said, I’ve been suddenly put in a very public predicament and my bosses are demanding an immediate decision.

Six years ago, I signed a contract with NBC to take over The Tonight Show in June of 2009. Like a lot of us, I grew up watching Johnny Carson every night and the chance to one day sit in that chair has meant everything to me. I worked long and hard to get that opportunity, passed up far more lucrative offers, and since 2004 I have spent literally hundreds of hours thinking of ways to extend the franchise long into the future. It was my mistaken belief that, like my predecessor, I would have the benefit of some time and, just as important, some degree of ratings support from the prime-time schedule. Building a lasting audience at 11:30 is impossible without both.

But sadly, we were never given that chance. After only seven months, with my Tonight Show in its infancy, NBC has decided to react to their terrible difficulties in prime-time by making a change in their long-established late night schedule.

Last Thursday, NBC executives told me they intended to move the Tonight Show to 12:05 to accommodate the Jay Leno Show at 11:35. For 60 years the Tonight Show has aired immediately following the late local news. I sincerely believe that delaying the Tonight Show into the next day to accommodate another comedy program will seriously damage what I consider to be the greatest franchise in the history of broadcasting. The Tonight Show at 12:05 simply isn’t the Tonight Show. Also, if I accept this move I will be knocking the Late Night show, which I inherited from David Letterman and passed on to Jimmy Fallon, out of its long-held time slot. That would hurt the other NBC franchise that I love, and it would be unfair to Jimmy.

So it has come to this: I cannot express in words how much I enjoy hosting this program and what an enormous personal disappointment it is for me to consider losing it. My staff and I have worked unbelievably hard and we are very proud of our contribution to the legacy of The Tonight Show. But I cannot participate in what I honestly believe is its destruction. Some people will make the argument that with DVRs and the Internet a time slot doesn’t matter. But with the Tonight Show, I believe nothing could matter more.

There has been speculation about my going to another network but, to set the record straight, I currently have no other offer and honestly have no idea what happens next. My hope is that NBC and I can resolve this quickly so that my staff, crew, and I can do a show we can be proud of, for a company that values our work.

Have a great day and, for the record, I am truly sorry about my hair; it’s always been that way.

Yours,

Conan
    http://mediadecoder.blogs.nytimes.co...ollowing-leno/
    Last edited by jimbo; 01-12-2010 at 03:37 PM.

NBC needs to let Leno go now or they will never be free of him.
    Go Gators!

I guess we know where Conan stands now.

I think it would be a shabby thing to do, but NBC needs to let go of Leno and move on with the young guys. That's where the future is. Let the chips fall where they may with Leno. If he goes to a competitor and makes hay there, then so be it.

Boy have they made a mess of this. I'd have a public beheading of the parties responsible.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Wow, I suspected this could happen but is there anyone (in charge) at NBC with any sense? lol

Retired

Guess that mean Jay gets The Tonight Show back, and Conan gets the boot. Jay had good ratings with the show, Conan's are horrible. I can't see them letting Leno go in favor of Conan when the show has performed so poorly.

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    NBC needs to let Leno go now or they will never be free of him.

Jay's probably going to be there till he dies. Seriously.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

I'd rather stick needles in my eyes than watch jay leno.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Turn Off Ads?