Turn Off Ads?
Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Jimmy Fallon to take over for Conan O'Brien

Re: Jimmy Fallon to take over for Conan O'Brien

Conan needs to get rid of Andy regardless of where he lands.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I had heard earlier today that Jeff Zucker was threatening to keep Conan off of television for the duration of his NBC contract.
    I don't know the exact terms of the contract, but I would assume that, by removing Conan as host of the Tonight Show, NBC is either going to have to buy out Conan or be considered in breach if its contract with him. Furthermore, NBC would likely have no recourse in keeping Conan off television if someone else wanted to hire him. It would have the effect of preventing Conan from working in his field. This was dealt with in ABC v. Warner Wolf, where ABC tried to keep Wolf off the air for the rest of his contract when he tried to move to CBS. The courts said you can't keep someone from working in his or her field.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    Conan needs to get rid of Andy regardless of where he lands.
    Really? I've always thought the show was much funnier with Andy acting as a safety blanket for Conan.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

It's been speculated that it is Conan who will be in breach of contract for refusing to do The Tonight Show at 12:05 since his contract doesn't specify NBC guaranteeing him a time slot, just the show.

We'll see.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    I don't know the exact terms of the contract, but I would assume that, by removing Conan as host of the Tonight Show, NBC is either going to have to buy out Conan or be considered in breach if its contract with him. Furthermore, NBC would likely have no recourse in keeping Conan off television if someone else wanted to hire him. It would have the effect of preventing Conan from working in his field. This was dealt with in ABC v. Warner Wolf, where ABC tried to keep Wolf off the air for the rest of his contract when he tried to move to CBS. The courts said you can't keep someone from working in his or her field.
    Go Gators!

"Hi, I’m Conan O’Brien, NBC’s 'Employee of the Month'. There’s a rumor that NBC is so upset with me, they want to keep me off the air for 3 years. My response to that is, if NBC doesn’t want people to see me, just leave me on NBC."

Bada bing. "No matter what happens, it’s been a real honor to sit in the same chair as Steve Allen, Jack Paar, Johnny Carson, Jay Leno, and Jay Leno."
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Looks like a lot of Fox's Affiliates aren't excited about picking up Conan.

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/art...it_for_Fox.php

In the wake of what could be Conan O'Brien's departure from NBC, Fox is forced to make a decision: does it make sense to spend some $70 million to launch O'Brien in late night, or should Fox leave the Tonight Show host alone and stick with the syndicated programs and local news the Fox stations are currently airing?

Earlier this week, O'Brien rejected NBC's plan to move the iconic Tonight Show to 12:05 in an open letter to the public.

For the Fox owned and affiliated stations, picking up O'Brien would appear to cause far more pain than gain. The performance of the stations in the Top 10 markets at 11:30 p.m. is largely equivalent to NBC's Tonight Show ratings in the same hour. But the stations keep far more ad inventory in that hour now than they would if they were forced to give it up to Fox. Every half-hour syndicated show offers stations as much as six minutes of advertising inventory to sell, while a half-hour of network inventory typically offers only about a minute.

Sources say Fox brass has asked the Fox-owned stations to run the numbers, and stations have responded that they expect they would lose millions if the local outlets had to give a late-night hour back to the network. The Fox affiliates fall somewhere between lukewarm and intrigued about the notion of O'Brien shifting to their late night air, perhaps at 11:30. Some wonder why he should expect to do better on Fox after posting lagging ratings during his Tonight Show run, while others say he's a rare bankable talent that may be a free agent.

One Fox affiliate insider warned that Chevy Chase also seemed to be a good fit for Fox in late night some time ago: a household name that matched up well with the Fox demographic. Chase's Fox show of course flamed out quickly in the early β€˜90s. "They thought there might be some flow there, but it just didn't happen," says the affiliate. "It's like drilling for oil--you just don't know what you're going to get."

Fox affiliates board chairman Brian Brady says O'Brien-to-Fox is at least worth noodling. "It's an interesting proposition," he says. "The affiliates will work closely with Fox to explore the possibilities."

Addressing reporters at TCA last weekend, Fox Entertainment President Kevin Reilly acknowledged that a host of issues would have to be worked out with affiliates to pave the way for a late-night show, and said the network would keep in mind the economic struggles affiliates have been through of late. One Fox affiliate manager said "additional inducements" would have to be made to get stations on board with the plan.

But for Fox, now might be the perfect time to make O'Brien a deal. If he elects to depart NBC, he has nowhere else to go if he wants to remain a late-night host on broadcast TV. ABC has stated that it isn't interested in him, and CBS' line-up of David Letterman and Craig Ferguson is full and clicking along nicely.

Fox executives have stated that building the late-night franchise about which they have long dreamed (and often tried, with the likes of Joan Rivers, Chase and Spike Feresten) probably has the best shot with the experienced and well-known O'Brien behind the wheel. And what better time to stick it to struggling NBC?

Ultimately, Fox must decide what's in its better long-term financial interest: a late-night franchise with Conan O'Brien, or healthy--and happy--TV stations?
    Go Gators!

They aren't excited because Conan isn't funny. He is whiny. Maybe whiny is the new funny. Who knows?

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    It's been speculated that it is Conan who will be in breach of contract for refusing to do The Tonight Show at 12:05 since his contract doesn't specify NBC guaranteeing him a time slot, just the show.

We'll see.
    If that's true, and if it comes as a surprised to Conan, then Conan needs to *****slap his agent.
    Stick to your guns.

Conan and Andy's bit last night looking back at their great moments from their time on the Tonight Show was great.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Quote Originally Posted by yab1112 View Post
    Last night both Dave and Craig took aim at Zucker. This guy is not well liked. Apparently, that's one thing everyone can agree on.
    He is NBC's Dick Wagner.
    Where we gonna go?

I haven't followed this much, but I was impressed with O'Brien's position that "The Tonight Show" is set in the 11:30 pm time slot. It wouldn't be the same show just after midnight (as David Letterman joked, that's not the Tonight show, it's the Tomorrow show or the Today show...). The franchise has run from Steve Allen, through Jack Paar, Johnny Carson and Jay Leno. I don't know whether Conan O'Brien's in the same league as those guys (particularly the 1st three), but NBC has put themselves in an awful position playing around like this. Basically they transplanted Leno into prime time with basically the same format as his previous show. They missed a chance to try something really creative and different (if that was possible) and flubbed it.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    Really? I've always thought the show was much funnier with Andy acting as a safety blanket for Conan.
    Same here. I think Andy is hilarious.

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

The second video clip down is just brutal....just wow.

http://tv.gawker.com/5448615/the-lat...&autoplay=true

Quote Originally Posted by macro View Post
    Same here. I think Andy is hilarious.
    I couldn't agree more. Used to love the stare down contests they used to do when they first started out together.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    The second video clip down is just brutal....just wow.

http://tv.gawker.com/5448615/the-lat...&autoplay=true
    Is that Kimmel's bit on the Leno 10 & 10 thing?

My level of respect for Kimmel went up 100fold after watching that. It's one thing to sit on a show and lob grenades at somebody, it's another thing entirely to confront them with it to their face. It reminded me a lot of Jon Stewart's appearence on the now-defunct "Crossfire" CNN show, where he just tore into Tucker Carlson and Paul Begala and told them that their brand of combative politics was "destroying America."

The one thing this whole story is doing is reminding me how funny a lot of shows are that I don't necessarily have time to watch anymore. Ferguson and Kimmel have been ridiculously good lately.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Turn Off Ads?