Turn Off Ads?
Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Jimmy Fallon to take over for Conan O'Brien

Re: Jimmy Fallon to take over for Conan O'Brien

Also loved the closing scene with the Lynard Skynard Freebird song by Will Ferrell and Conan on guitar with other guests playing. First concert I ever saw was Lynard Skynard in early October of '74. Doobie Brothers opened for them.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    You mean people who are Conan's age, soon to be 47?

Yes. I find it un-entertaining to see a 47-year old man acting like he's 5 years old. That was funny when I was 8, but not now.

Loved the last show, though. Thoroughly enjoyed it, especially the "exit interview". A below average Johnny Carson show was as good, though.
    I totally respect and understand how Conan's not for everyone though. I shouldn't have put it all on age. I don't, however, understand how anyone could still like Jay Leno's show, if such a person still has the dexterity to change the channel.
    Stick to your guns.

Conan is what the current and next wave of comedy writers, performers, and actors grew up idolizing and identifying with. He represents such an important part of those waves and the way they look at comedy. He might have "failed" as host of the Tonight Show but his impact on the world of comedy and television (and future impact) is way greater than that of Jay Leno, who has been treading water and growing more and more irrelevant each year.

Jay Leno embodies the sad truth that the more broad and watered down you make comedy, the wider the audience. He and Jeff Dunham are likable enough personalities who know how to cue a large audience to laugh using delivery and rhythm but their "jokes" themselves are very tooth-less, common denominator, safe jokes. No one who gets into the comedy business says "I want to be Jay Leno" but a lot of people dream of writing for a cutting edge show at its peak (the Simpsons), writing for SNL, and creating their own original show (Late Night). I feel like history will be very kind to Conan whereas Jay Lenowill be remembered as the guy who slowly stripping the Tonight Show of any legacy or prestige it once had.

Yes, frenetic wave.

Like I said about 4 pages ago, Conan the writer was phenomenal.

I agree with you.

I think if either one of them had been having any success, NBC would have hung in there with the status quo. But they were both tanking at their time slots. NBC had to do something.

However, it was NBC's stupidity that put them in that pickle to begin with and then it was NBC's stupidity at how they reacted.

I'm neither a Conan nor Leno fan. I used to be a huge Letterman fan but he's declined too. Plus I just go to bed earlier But I don't think the statement that Leno is/was stripping the Tonight Show of its legacy is fair. Leno kept the Tonight Show traditional audience (never a cutting edge one) and its erosion was slower than what was happening with general TV trends. It was always a middle of the road show catering to middle America and never edgy or cutting edge.

I think in the near term the Tonight Show's ratings will probably go up. How much will be under close scrutiny. But Leno is the past. This bump will go on for as long as he wants to be there. After that, NBC is in big trouble. But TV ratings are measured on a day-by-day basis so you take care of today because Management mandates it or else you are fired. Worry about the future when it gets here.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Unless Leno is working for another network or no longer with us I can't see anyone of any talent wanting to take over the Tonight Show when he retires again.
    Go Gators!

I love Lewis Black, but I'd get sick of him quickly if I had to see him every night. That's true with most comedians I like.

It's difficult job, and few have the talent to do it.

What no one seems to be talking about is, what happens if moving Leno back to the Tonight Show fails? I wonder if NBC tries to get a new host or just dumps the Tonight Show altogether.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    What no one seems to be talking about is, what happens if moving Leno back to the Tonight Show fails? I wonder if NBC tries to get a new host or just dumps the Tonight Show altogether.
    I doubt that will happen.

They get a new host, but like I said above, as long as Leno is there perched like a crow waiting, who in their right mind would take the show?

Carson Daly perhaps
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    They get a new host, but like I said above, as long as Leno is there perched like a crow waiting, who in their right mind would take the show?

Carson Daly perhaps
    I'm thinking that there is a good chance that moving Leno back to host the Tonight Show could fail miserably and put NBC in a position of asking Leno to leave again or firing him. In that situation, I wonder whether the Tonight Show brand would be too damaged to just bring in another host. Would they have to cancel the Tonight Show and come up with a new program for that time slot? Or would they have to do it just to make sure Leno knows he's done at NBC so that whatever replaces it knows it's a clean slate.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Interesting...

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/25/bu...a/25conan.html

O’Brien Undone by His Media-Hopping Fans

By BILL CARTER
    Published: January 24, 2010
    Conan O’Brien made a triumphant exit from NBC Friday night, accompanied by one of the most impressive outpourings of support by younger viewers that any late-night host had ever seen — and Mr. O’Brien was effusive in his thanks for their backing.

In the tumult that surrounded NBC’s late-night shake-up last week, one thing was certain: If even a small fraction of the additional younger viewers who flocked to Mr. O’Brien’s show last week had turned up regularly in his earlier ratings results, he would almost surely still be hosting “The Tonight Show.”

Instead, for most of this past fall, Mr. O’Brien struggled to command the young viewers he needed to counter a falloff in overall audience numbers.

While he began to drop behind his chief late-night competitor, David Letterman on CBS, among total viewers, it was more alarming to NBC that Mr. O’Brien was not consistently beating Mr. Letterman in several important advertising-sales demographic groups — viewers 18 to 49 and 25 to 54. (He did beat Mr. Letterman virtually all the time in the 18-to-34 group.)

But to NBC’s surprise and disappointment, Mr. O’Brien fell behind his predecessor, Jay Leno, even among those 18-to-34 viewers, the group expected to be his core constituency. (From his start in June through the end of 2009, Mr. O’Brien averaged 716,000 viewers in that age group, down from the 759,000 Mr. Leno averaged the previous six months.)

Several television researchers said in interviews that this outcome might have been easily predicted, not because Mr. O’Brien does not appeal to younger viewers — he clearly does, as evidenced by the large numbers he attracted for his closing shows — but because regularly assembling those young adult viewers in significant numbers in the late-night hours has become a daunting, if not impossible, task.

“The 18-to-34 group is so difficult to attract and the lower half, 18 to 25, is the hardest of all,” said Jack MacKenzie, the president of the millennial strategy program for the research firm Frank N. Magid Associates.

Compounding the problem, said a senior research executive for another company, was the fact that Mr. O’Brien was especially appealing to young men. “And that group doesn’t watch television very regularly,” said the executive, who asked not to be named because his business competes with NBC.

Instead of watching Mr. O’Brien most nights, Mr. MacKenzie said, those young viewers have been watching everything from similar shows like “The Colbert Report” on Comedy Central, to cartoons on the “Adult Swim” franchise on the Cartoon Network, and the ever-present array of sports and sports news on ESPN and its sister channels.

In comparison with the 719,000 viewers in the 18-to-34 group that Mr. O’Brien had been averaging, Stephen Colbert on his “Colbert Report,” in the same six- month period in 2009, averaged 746,000 viewers ages 18 to 34. The cartoons on “Adult Swim” — mostly “Family Guy” and “Robot Chicken” — averaged 619,000 of those viewers. ESPN from 11 p.m. to 1 a.m., with varied programs that included both live sports events and editions of the highlights show “Sports Center,” averaged 614,000 viewers in that group.

And dozens of other cable channels took other slices of the under 35 viewers.

“What you’ve seen in recent years is increased spending by all these cable channels for original programming,” Mr. MacKenzie said. “And besides having a double revenue stream of subscription fees and advertising, the cable channels have the luxury of targeting specific audiences. Broadcasters don’t.”

Fans of sports, for example, were watching ESPN many nights instead of Mr. O’Brien; and cartoon lovers were hooked on “Adult Swim.”

But even all the competition on cable did not represent the total distraction for young viewers that Mr. O’Brien had to contend with. The senior research executive pointed to outside attractions like video games that vie for the attention of young, especially male, viewers. And CBS executives have in the past identified the growing tendency of owners of digital video recorders to use the time after late local newscasts to play back programs recorded earlier that night or on previous nights.

A spokeswoman for Nielsen Media Research pointed to a study the company released last year that cited the peak hours for DVR playback. The late-night hours showed the highest percentage of playback outside the prime-time hours, with about 7.6 percent of playback taking place from 11 p.m. to 12 a.m.

As an executive from one of NBC’s rival networks put it: “Conan didn’t just have to worry about Letterman; he had to worry about ‘House.’ People are playing back episodes of shows like ‘House’ in late night.”

Add to all the other issues the fact that Mr. O’Brien’s young fans did not really have to watch television to see him. His shows were made available later on Web sites like Hulu. And his best comedy bits would frequently be posted on other sites — and passed around by fans — shortly after they appeared.

Mr. MacKenzie added that NBC did Mr. O’Brien no favor by moving Mr. Leno to the 10 p.m. hour this fall. “That meant there was a show very similar in style to his on the air before him,” he said.

In his run on “The Tonight Show,” Mr. Leno managed to attract the largest audiences in virtually every age group, though his ratings too showed signs of falling off in his later years on the show. But his was always the first show of the late-night talk variety on NBC each night, Mr. MacKenzie.

That will happen again when Mr. Leno returns to “The Tonight Show” on March 1. But Mr. MacKenzie had some words of caution for NBC.

“A generational switch is coming,” he said. “The baby boomer audience that has mostly been the Leno audience is going out. The Conan audience is becoming more influential — even if they aren’t watching television the same way the previous generation did.”
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Leno's ratings have not rebounded. They are the lowest they have been since 1992. On the other hand, Letterman's ratings haven't improved either.

http://tv.yahoo.com/the-tonight-show...ngs-since-1992
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

would they actually move him out of that slot though? I mean, a 2nd time?

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

Maybe people are just watching less TV. I know I am. I call that progress.
    Stick to your guns.

Turn Off Ads?